I know recomendable way is to upgrade and use latest version. BUT, we live in a house and my family got used to LinuxMCE and upgrading of LinuxMCE has to be wel thought in sense of what features are not working in enw version and what are problems in old one that are fixed in 8.10.
So I will post my findings and will be happy if anyone else feels like to add something to this :
Features that are not so good or non-working on 7.10 and are important for my family :
- asterisk simply dies every now and then needs to be restarted. I'm still finding a way to monitor and fix that behaviour with monit - but have to figure out how exactly is Asterisk started under LinuxMCE.
- speech announcements crash squeezeslave that is acting like HW Squeezebox in my system so I had to turn off that device for speech announcements (the cause is that squeezeslave cannot properly handle mono files, but since we don't have any hooks where one could execute some code prior to each speech announcement the solution is not so easy).
- speech announcements also cause problems if Xine player is already playing some music or video. After announcement is done, it goes mad, plays every audio for few seconds and disappears from button next to Media so it cannot be stopped. That's why I've disabled all speech announcements.
- mythtv is not so stable, but that is probably the problem of mythtv.
- beside that I've fixed behavour of few floorplan objects so it's usable (thermostat, Ventilation etc...).
- we really like Fiire Chief and it is really usable and used virtually by each of us on V2 gui on our main TV (EEE box lies behind it)...
The main concerns of upgrading to 8.10 in our case is :
- Fiire chief will not work if I understand right and my other family members simply don't know what to do with the system without Fiire Chief.
- I guess problems with speech announcements stay the same also in 8.10. There is a chance of getting better cause Squeezecenter is probably at higher version , so newer squeezeslave can be used, but I'm not sure on this one.
- I'm not sure if asterisk is of never version and perhaps more stable in 8.10
That are my findings, will be happy to hear yours...
Thanks in advance,