Author Topic: New 0810 beta install vdr or Mythtv?  (Read 4976 times)

jayzee

• Veteran
    • View Profile
New 0810 beta install vdr or Mythtv?
« on: November 11, 2009, 01:42:41 pm »
Hi,

I have tried the dvd installer a couple of times with limited success so have gone back to an internet install as people have suggested there are less problems with it.

I am wondering once my install has finished if I should curently go for VDR or switch over to mythTV, I read somewhere a post from Andrew suggesting he currently is switching people over to mythtv. I know in the past VDR has been a better option for us in th UK but I think a newer versions of mythtv has been integrated that now might make it a better option to go for - what are peoples thought on this?

when I first started with linux mce I did try out mythtv and had reasonable success although channel changing was very slow compared to VDR and it usually took a little messing to get the MD's playing tv too.

What is the current status of MDs and watching tv with mythtv on MDs. so far since the beta I have not really been able to get my MDs working using the DVD, alpha seemed to work ok, I will see how I get on with the internet install, are there any special instructions for getting MDs working on the internet install like with the DVD install or should they just work?

cheers

J
Core/hybrid
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA, AMD 64 Dual Core 4000, 1gig ram, 2xpvr150, 1xwintv nova T500, 1xconextant 4x security cam input card

1 X MD
Asus M2NPV-VM, AMD 64 3200, 512mb ram, Silverstone Lascala LC02B

3xMD
Biostar 200n, AMD Sempron 2300, 512

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: New 0810 beta install vdr or Mythtv?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 05:18:37 pm »
Hi,

I have tried the dvd installer a couple of times with limited success so have gone back to an internet install as people have suggested there are less problems with it.

I am wondering once my install has finished if I should curently go for VDR or switch over to mythTV, I read somewhere a post from Andrew suggesting he currently is switching people over to mythtv. I know in the past VDR has been a better option for us in th UK but I think a newer versions of mythtv has been integrated that now might make it a better option to go for - what are peoples thought on this?

when I first started with linux mce I did try out mythtv and had reasonable success although channel changing was very slow compared to VDR and it usually took a little messing to get the MD's playing tv too.

What is the current status of MDs and watching tv with mythtv on MDs. so far since the beta I have not really been able to get my MDs working using the DVD, alpha seemed to work ok, I will see how I get on with the internet install, are there any special instructions for getting MDs working on the internet install like with the DVD install or should they just work?

cheers

J

Hi Jayzee

We have released our MythTV version of Dianemo & Cascade now and all new installations will default to using MythTV. Exisiting customers have the choice of staying with vdr or switching over to MythTV. There really are many good reasons to switch - much better picture quality (VDPAU has excellent hardware deinterlacers and other hardware accelerated features), 'Red' button interactive services support (important here in the UK for Freeview or Freesat) and far better scalability (ie when you want to to supply TV to many rooms for live viewing and also for concurrent TV recording too) and numerous other advantages too. Channel changing is still somewhat slower than vdr and this is down to the LiveTV buffer to a large extent (Myth always records the channel you are watching 'Live'...this provides instant rewind of LiveTV...something that is not as good or as fast in vdr actually).

I cant comment on the 0810 specific bits of your question... others here will though for sure ;-)

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

jayzee

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 02:04:16 pm »
Hi,
after going out and buying a kworld 399u and after andrew supplied me with the files needed for 0810 to get this up and running i have successfully got mythtv working with this tuner.

I had a similar problem as someone else with the firmware file I was given as it seemed to conflict with something else so in the end i just dowloaded the firmware from another site and this has worked

wget http://www.otit.fi/~crope/v4l-dvb/af9015/af9015_firmware_cutter/firmware_files/4.95.0/dvb-usb-af9015.fw

after running mythtv setup from KDE desktop first and using the password from running

sudo vi /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt

and editing

sudo vi /etc/group

so that the mythtv line looks like

mythtv:x:128:root,linuxmce

I was then able to go back to linuxmce and run mythtv setup from the computing page and go through and setup a DVB source, scan for channels and then go back to linuxmce and tv worked :)

It has taken me a few atempts of installing linuxmce 0810 to get this far and now I am in the postion that I can't get an md to boot. In a previous install of 0810 I had mds working but not Mythtv and the tuner. Unfortunately i don;t seem to be able to work out what I did before to make it work.

I have updated the file

sudo vi /usr/pluto/bin/files.d/fstab-diskless

and added the " at the end of the line so it look like

mkdir -p "${Parm_RootLocation}/var/spool/asterisk"

and this has got me a bit further but now I have the error

could not find kernel image 44/vmlinuz

I have read a post that suggests that the symlink for this file has an error in but i can't remember changing anything with this when I got it up and working before so I am a bit stuck with where to go next and now I have tv setup right, would prefer not to have to go through another internet install if i don't have to, especially as my connection is being a bit crap at the moment.

any suggestion about how I can get the md up and running would be greatfully appreciated

J
Core/hybrid
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA, AMD 64 Dual Core 4000, 1gig ram, 2xpvr150, 1xwintv nova T500, 1xconextant 4x security cam input card

1 X MD

3xMD

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 05:11:58 pm »
This looks as if it should be fixed.
Check http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/211

Check that your symlinks point to the right kernel images.

-Coley.

jayzee

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 11:50:45 am »
yeah that problem looks as though it was sorted out 6 months ago but does seem to be the issue I am experiencing - how has the issue crept back into my installation?

I undestand that the issue is with a symlink from the vmlinuz and initrd.img files located in the /tftpboot/md#/ directory but what I am unsure of is where the symlink should be changed to go to.

is the file initrd.img-2.6.27-15-generic located somewhere as I don't seem to be able to find it or should I be linking to initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic instead?

J
Core/hybrid

1 X MD

3xMD