Author Topic: Can IR codes (for remotes) for USB-UIRT be shared reliably?  (Read 3294 times)

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
Can IR codes (for remotes) for USB-UIRT be shared reliably?
« on: October 31, 2009, 05:17:28 am »
I have determined that different specimens of USB-UIRT devices produce different IR codes from the same remote.  Here is what I did to determine this:

(using 0710rc2 throughout)

MD #1:
- Windows MCE remote #1 (from PVR-150)
- USB-UIRT #1

MD #2:
- Windows MCE remote #2 (from PVR-150)
- USB-UIRT #2

I learned the IR codes for the MCE remote on MD#1 both using this method:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Add_support_for_new_remote_controls
After doing so, both remote #1 and remote #2 worked reliably to control MD #1.  

I then used the IR codes learned on MD#1 in the device template for the remote control on MD#2.  Both remote #1 and remote #2 very unreliably controlled MD#2.

I re-learned the IR codes on MD#2 and created another device template for the MCE remote and assigned it to MD#2.  Both remote #1 and remote #2 controlled MD#2 reliably.

Hypothesis
I suspect that some critical characteristics of USB-UIRT devices vary enough from specimen to specimen that IR codes from the same remote will be different for different USB-UIRT specimens.  

If this hypothesis is true, then IR codes cannot be reliably shared when using USB-UIRT as a receiver.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 05:19:44 am by alx9r »

qball4

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can IR codes (for remotes) for USB-UIRT be shared reliably?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 07:52:47 am »
Remote controls do not send the same ir signal every time you press the same button.

On the wiki page you referenced there is a section regarding the key codes to be placed in the remote configuration device data - there can be multiple codes for each key.

:Matt

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 03:01:21 pm »
Remote controls do not send the same ir signal every time you press the same button.

On the wiki page you referenced there is a section regarding the key codes to be placed in the remote configuration device data - there can be multiple codes for each key.

:Matt
I am aware of this.  I actually put that information on that wiki page myself some time ago.  With a well functioning USB-UIRT/remote setup, I usually see exactly two different codes for each button. 

The problem I am describing is not the two distinct codes from the remote.  Rather, the problem is that for the same button, the two codes that are received on each of MD#1 and MD#2 do not match.  That is, if you learn the codes on MD#1, they are different from those learned on MD#2.

Alex

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 03:17:21 pm »
Matt's comment prompted me to do some more testing. 

Doing a tail -f /var/log/pluto/XX_USB_UIRT_0038.log on both MD#1 and MD#2 yielded the following result:

MD#1: two distinct and exactly repeatable IR codes for each button
MD#2: a variety of IR codes for each button.  the exact code never seems to be received twice for the same button.

I swapped USB-UIRTs (I have a couple spares) on both MDs.  The non-repeatability does not follow the USB-UIRT -- it stays with the MD.  The problem occurs on at least two of the USB ports on the MD.

The MD is an asus eee box b202.

Has anyone else seen this?

Alex