Author Topic: ASUS P5N7A-VM - Install Issues BusyBox Prompt  (Read 18159 times)

Elf

• View Profile
Re: ASUS P5N7A-VM - Install Issues BusyBox Prompt
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 03:11:11 am »
have not setup my internal network (need to fix the Realtek NIC).

So I tried the get the ASUS P5N7A-VM working and cannot.  I read in the wiki http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/ASUS_P5N7A-VM that this can be fixed with this instructions: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Realtek_8168.  So far I have been able to install (using add-on Intel PCI NIC for the external network) and used the A/V Wizard to configure a hybrid/core.  I can rip DVD/CDs and watch them with optical audio to my receiver http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Elf.  Right now my eth0 card is my external network and I can see that a virtual eth0:0 was created for my internal.  I even tried to update the pluto_main DB and swith the eth0:0 to eth1 after I had following the patching instructions thinking eth1 was there, but not being used.

Since others got it working, I am probably making a mistake somewhere.  Anyone care to give me some hints I would appreciate it (linux newbie here).

Thanks!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 05:13:06 am »
You are getting eth0:0 as a virtual subinterface because the kernel does not see the second NIC, so thinks you have a single NIC system. So the key to your issue is getting the kernel to recognise the NIC. If this is the Realtek 8168/8169/8111C NIC/chipset the you need to follow the article you listed.. until that is completed correctly the system will continue loading the 8169 NIC driver module thinking that it can drive the 8168 NIC.... it cannot, this is a bug in the Realtek driver, so when the driver bombs out, the kernel just ignores the NIC completely. Update and recompile the 8168 NIC driver source after removing the pci alias for 8168 (either editing the file manually and comment it out, or using the 'patch' command if you are feeling adventurous), and ensure that the 8168 driver is installed and modprobed in, then run a depmod and reboot...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 03:14:37 pm »
I even tried to update the pluto_main DB and swith the eth0:0 to eth1 after I had following the patching instructions thinking eth1 was there, but not being used.

FFS, do NOT mess with the database manually, that's what the web-admin is for.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

King

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 12:10:26 am »
I tried this several times (8168 fix) and the only time I got it to work the connection was extremely slow and unstable. I ended up just buying a second pci nic which Linux picked up immediately. You need to upgrade the kernel to get this board to somewhat work, especially sound.
Core Running as Hybrid:
Asus P5N7A-VM Mobo
On Board NVIDIA Geforce 9300
Single 500G HD
PCI NIC
Currently running 8.10
No MD's Yet
Buffalo Linkstation NAS
Sharp Aquos LC-46SE94U

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 03:20:58 am »
So I am on my second attempt at getting a machine to load correctly.  I have an Asus P5N7A-VM, Core 2 Quad 2.5, 2x2GB Corsair, LG Blu Ray Drive, and a Samsung 1TB HD.  I started out getting errors about the fd0, but I disabled the floppy in the BIOS and that went away.  Now when I boot off the i386 710 DVD download and select Install Linux MCE, I see the splash screen and then the BusyBox message with (initramfs) prompt.  I have tried disabled and reconfiging the BIOS with no luck.  Now I am back to defaults in the BIOS with the floppy change.  Can anyone help me PLEEEEASE!!  And please keep in mind I might not know all the obvious stuff yet.

You are on the right track with the BIOS changes and there have been a few suggestions as some settings to try. What is the exact content of any error message that you get. Usually you are not bumbed back to busybox without an error being reported.
Are you able to type 'continue' and get any further?

thibaudeaua

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 04:39:20 pm »
In reference to the audio over HDMI i've updated to most current kernel.  I see the HDMI in the aplay -l, but not in the aplay -L.  I'm not updating to the latest ALSA and will report my findings.  If it is detected and working from the command line, what would I select in the AV Wizard since there isn't an HDMI audio option?

thibaudeaua

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 03:55:54 am »
Updated to the latest ALSA 1.0.19 running kernel 2.6.28.5.  I see the HDMI in both the aplay -l and aplay -L now.  Still can't hear any sound using aplay.  lspci shows that the sound device exists but says it's an unknown device.  Anyone know where I go from here?  Seems like I'm so close.

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 01:24:07 pm »
Updated to the latest ALSA 1.0.19 running kernel 2.6.28.5.  I see the HDMI in both the aplay -l and aplay -L now.  Still can't hear any sound using aplay.  lspci shows that the sound device exists but says it's an unknown device.  Anyone know where I go from here?  Seems like I'm so close.

I have exactly the same situation under LinuxMCE 0710. Even more the HDMI audio doesn't work for me under Kubuntu 8.10. But the sound card is recognized correctly as HD audio.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

thibaudeaua

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 05:41:21 pm »
As a test I installed Ubuntu 8.10 and XBMC and HDMI Audio worked.  I was just hoping it was just the kernel.  I can't imagine the KDE is causing the issue.  I'm going to try running the the alsaconfig to see if that gets the sound detected properly.  I'm not sure if the the ALSA upgrade script did this.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 08:35:39 pm »
As a test I installed Ubuntu 8.10 and XBMC and HDMI Audio worked.  I was just hoping it was just the kernel.  I can't imagine the KDE is causing the issue.  I'm going to try running the the alsaconfig to see if that gets the sound detected properly.  I'm not sure if the the ALSA upgrade script did this.

HDMI audio works with 'stock' Kubuntu 8.10 if you are running the latest Intel drivers (see http://intellinuxgraphics.org/)

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

simon_b

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 09:27:15 am »

Now when I boot off the i386 710 DVD download and select Install Linux MCE, I see the splash screen and then the BusyBox message with (initramfs) prompt. an anyone help me PLEEEEASE!!  And please keep in mind I might not know all the obvious stuff yet.

I managed that issue, when I manually (with an jumper) set my HDD as a "master" - before it was "cable select" default...

Hope it helps
ex Mythtv fan, the LinuxMCE newbie
----------
hoping for the best

elvisimprsntr

• View Profile
Re: ASUS P5N7A-VM - LMCE 810 install question
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 09:45:45 am »
BACKGROUND

I too tried LMCE 710 and it failed. I gave up after reading all the other posts having trouble getting everything to work under 710. I downloaded Kubuntu 810 and installed without any problems. I performed the update and dist-update per the LMCE 810a2 wiki and manually downloaded and installed the latest NVIDIA drivers. All seems to be working fine minus a few non-free plug-ins. No problems to report of, but then I am still connected to VGA and analog audio. I have been working with Debian sarge/etch/lenny for quite some time and have managed to perform kernel re-compiles from time to time. So I don't consider myself a complete novice to Linux. I did actually take the time to research the mobo in advance for possible use as a LMCE core.

CONFIG

1. ASUS P5N7A-VM
2. Quad Core2 - 2.66GHz Q9400
3. 4x1GB Kingston (reuse)
4. 2x200GB Segate PATA (reuse)
5. Pioneer BDC-202
6. Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1950 USB2 (read someone got it working. would rather had the 2250 PCIe card, but read that driver development halted. Seemed like external USB tuner with hardware compression simplifies the driver support. HDHR does not have analog and consumes LAN bandwidth)
7. Currently connected to VGA and analog audio for installation purposes.
8. Running latest 180 NVIDIA drivers.

QUESTIONS

I have tried a few times to run the "latest" 810 install scripts from the LMCE 810a2 wiki, which instructs me to use the REPOsitories. While I understand the LMCE may have a lot of specific dependencies, what I do not understand is that if I have a working system, why do the install scripts basically download ALL the DEB packages as if it was a new Kubuntu install? It takes hours! I understand that LMCE has some special front ends and packages to pull all the separate GNU and non-free packages all together and wizards to help a user set it all up, but why doesnt the install scripts only download only the necessary additional packages from a base Kubuntu install and configure the system and interface. Am I missing something here? Can the install scripts skip downloading the huge videos? Can the scripts prompt for what type of setup you are creating (core, front end, HA, etc.) and only download the necessary packages for that configuration? Similar to a package manager?

I must be missing something, because from some of the posts and wiki pages, it reads like it is simple.

Thanks,

Elvis

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:18:38 am by elvisimprsntr »
ASUS P5N7A-VM, Q9400 2.66 GHz Quad Core2, 4 GB RAM, 2x200 GB HD, Pioneer BDC-202, WinTV-HVR-1950 USB2, iPhone+remotepad=gryo remote

staylorx

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 01:56:34 am »
I'm completely not cool enough to figure out how to quote, but the user above who mentioned faulty memory as a problem? I read one of the next posts where I figured, "bah! memory, there's no way!"  But on a whim I pulled the last two sticks of memory from my machine, and it loaded right up.   Dead on.  I swear to God.  No all_generic_ide required.  I've spent a week of evenings fiddling with this.  The good news is I really know 'all_generic_ide irapoll pci=nomsi' and all that now... probably going to be handy some day.  But not today.  Bad memory.  I had exactly the symptoms to bring me to this post, btw.  Cheers.