Author Topic: strange harddrive quirks  (Read 3145 times)

compaqpresario

• Veteran
    • View Profile
strange harddrive quirks
« on: October 29, 2009, 07:01:14 pm »
Hi, my core harddrive is not showing up in lmce 8.10 admin or otherwise. it is as if the lmce file structure is non existent or something.  then i had a harddrive i added which has video/audio which was detected fine. all the files show up and are playing fine.  I can even rip a dvd to the drive using lmce. the problem occurs if i'm trying to copy files or save a download to the harddrive on the kubuntu desktop.  i get a message "access denied could not write to /mnt/device/51/public/data/videos".....i have tried changing permissions and changing ownership. what have i done wrong?

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: strange harddrive quirks
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 07:50:17 pm »
first off, dont use /mnt/device..., they are available in /home/public/data for a reason.
second, due to permissions issues (kde desktop runninng as unprivileged user, lmce managing the drives as root) its much easier to connect to the network shares than access the local filesystem.

compaqpresario

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:28:38 pm »
first off, dont use /mnt/device..., they are available in /home/public/data for a reason.
second, due to permissions issues (kde desktop runninng as unprivileged user, lmce managing the drives as root) its much easier to connect to the network shares than access the local filesystem.

aaaahhhh forgive my ignorance, linux is not my string suit, but there isn't a /home/public/data, only /home/public. also, can someone tell me what i can do to make the core harddrive available inthe admin and be able write to my other drive?

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 10:32:08 pm »
if there is not a /home/public/data then you have done something wrong in your install or have not added drives properly. you arent trying to mount them manually are you?

compaqpresario

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 10:44:20 pm »
nope, installed on one drive, let lmce setup structure on other