Author Topic: ID3 tag editor  (Read 6013 times)

extremeshannon

• Regular Poster
  • Base Jumping in Twin Falls
    • View Profile
    • ExtremeShannon
ID3 tag editor
« on: October 19, 2009, 10:31:05 pm »
Hello all I am looking for an ID3 tag editor I can use to tag files before I put into LMCE. I have more time to organize and tag when I am working then when I am home. I would like to do this at work with out installing LMCE. Any suggestions would be great.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: ID3 tag editor
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 11:18:24 pm »
I assume you are just talking about mp3s. I use Mp3Tag which I find quite useful, as it allows for bulk changes using macros. btw, you don't have to tag them before exposing them to LMCE, you can do it at any time afterwards as well - LMCE will see the changes and sync them into the LMCE database.

extremeshannon

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • ExtremeShannon
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 01:15:00 am »
I have my Drive at work with me that contains all my Video, pictures, music documents. I would like to tag them before I get home and install this drive into my LMCE system. I could tag them after the drive is install with LMCE but I have lots of free time to organize, Clean up and tag this week at work. I was hoping I could tag them before heading to the house. I am really looking for something that will tag my Video files MP3 files seems to be easy.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 02:06:08 am »
Hi,

Are you going to tag them under windows or linux?

extremeshannon

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • ExtremeShannon
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 02:07:35 am »
Has to be Linux my drives are all ext3

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 02:11:00 am »
Hi, I'm only asking because I have used programs that work under both (depending upon the variant you desire).

If you are familiar with one then whether you play with it under one OS or the other it's familiar.

One program I have used in window and linux is ID3 tag.

Marian Ciobanu was very open to helping me try to track down a GEOB problem I have yet to resolve.

In fact they modified the program to allow me to see the GEOB data and included the feature in a later release.

I can't thank someone enough who goes out of their way to try help like that.

Best wishes.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 03:41:39 am by pigdog »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 12:24:55 pm »
just so you know, the GEOB data we encode, comes right out of our object graphs. The data is encoded with SerializeClass (so you can use the structs defined in there to infer the data format).

-Thom

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 12:45:16 pm »
Hi,

Thanks Thom for the info.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 02:56:01 pm »
extremeshannon - to answer your question directly (which is why I originally asked if you were talking about mp3s specifically!) ID3 tags are for MP3 files only (and much more rarely AIFF and MP4, but are not really well supported). Bottomline is, you can use any ID3 tagging program you like, but they will only tag MP3 files as that is what ID3s are for. Attempting to add ID3s to video files will probably break the container (although it is likely to be ignored as a corruption) and in any case LMCE will ignore them, as it should.

There are many, many different video container formats, and all the newer types have tagging systems, but none are container-independent/standard and are not supported by LMCE. Realistically, most video media files come from 2 main sources - ripping DVDs or downloads. Ripping a DVD on LMCE should grab the metadata anyway. Downloaded video amost never has tagging even when the container supports it, in which case you need to tag it manually any way, so you might as well do it through the LMCE web admin :)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 02:57:23 pm »
colinjones: For files that are NOT mp3 files, the ID3 tags are stored in separate files, alongside the media file.

extremeshannon

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • ExtremeShannon
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 05:17:44 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have been ripping my DVD's myself. I do not let LMCE rip them since I do not want all the menus and everything. I have been compressing them, so I have many that have not been tagged yet. I will just do it thru LMCE as I have time. Thanks

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 11:00:57 pm »
colinjones: For files that are NOT mp3 files, the ID3 tags are stored in separate files, alongside the media file.

Thom - you know I know that! We are talking about embedded ID3 tags. There is no editor for the ID3 tag files :)

wishyouwere

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 05:25:50 am »
Can somebody post the contents of the tag files for a couple types of video? Maybe a movie and a tv show? I'm in the same boat as extremeshannon where I have a lot of time at work I could use to tag media, but not a lot of time at home to do it with LMCE. If someone can post a couple files, I can take a crack at writing a LMCE-independent tagger.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 02:30:07 pm »

Thom - you know I know that! We are talking about embedded ID3 tags. There is no editor for the ID3 tag files :)

dude, you can use any id3 tag editor to edit them, rename them to mp3 if you have to, or use the id3 tools.

-Thom