Author Topic: beta-problem with MD  (Read 36791 times)

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
beta-problem with MD
« on: October 18, 2009, 07:43:53 pm »
Hi guys,

this is my beta-experience so far:
To get the hybrid/ core running so far as I have now, I had a few installations to do.
This is what I did: Installed from the DVD - choose Install Linuxmce
When that was done, I installed my TV-card (nova hd s2- as detailed in the wiki)
Then I rebooted and continued with the install of Linuxmce from the desktop
Ran through the AVWizard and selected basic UI, next I setup Mythtv
After the basic setup of Mythtv was done  and I confirmed to receive TV on the hybrid, I went to the KDE-Desktop and
activated the latest nvidia-drivers (190.32). Doing that earlier resulted in fubar, because the orbiter wouldn't load and instead I got messages from
the dcerouter, that it tried to install the 180-drivers for some reason...I found out, that the 180-glx packages was supposed to be broken.

So far my remaining issues are those :
minor- mythweb says that www-data has no permissions to write to the data-directory - so right now I cannot access the channel-table to edit.
major- I cannot setup my MD, because I get messages like : kernel image could not be found. As mentioned in another thread, I can confirm that there are files missing in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/  in fact it is empty... also I checked under /usr/pluto...there isn't even a  directory diskless
I tried to manually add a mediadirector with the webadmin (under 7.10 entering the mac of the MD got the creation of the image started), but I  was unsuccessful.
So far I cannot setup my MD.
Before I tried the new DVD I had the latest Alpha running, but doing an upgrade first destroyed Mythtv, because the avenard-repo made a change from mythtv.21 to a prerelease .22
It got really nice optics, but destroyed the mythconverg database, because it wanted to do an upgrade to the database-schema and failed. That's when I decided to give the DVD a run..much to my amazement I found out, that the new mythtv was already integrated.
So right now I don't know what do to....any ideas on how to get my MD setup ?

---------------------
update: I ran /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.sh
that at least put the missing files and directories - I just noticed, that in /tftpboot I now have even a directory default, which wasn't there before.
when I now boot the MD I get Diskless setup failed. My MD is an ASROCK Ion330- now this is am64 capabable, but as we all know our LinuxMCE is 32bit, however it seems since the last alpha it keeps reporting as amd64 instead of i386....last time I had to manually change it to i386, which helped....lets see now
--------------------------
so far no change.....diskless setup failed...no matter how many times I try..delete the md, reload router, start md, receive error, repeat...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:07:46 pm by maverick0815 »

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: beta-problem with MD
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 08:16:59 pm »
I just regenerated my orbiters....the hybrid says, that there are some devices, that have not started correctly...

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 08:42:04 pm »
I have the same problems. I searched the forum and tried al lot of things to get at least one MD going but no luck so far. I 'm up to my 15th reinstall of the core but I' very doubtfull this will work. Also I noticed there is no /usr/Pluto/Diskless folder and can't find the Diskless folder anywhere else. Is this normal?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:44:23 pm by Thingie »

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 09:21:06 pm »
Hi,

There is no diskless directory until you create an MD.

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 10:20:26 pm »
small update on mythweb: I set the owner of /usr/share/mythtv/mythweb/data to www.data
now at least mythweb is working and I can sort my channels again
other than that, I can't get the md up
like I said before:
I tried to create an MD from the webadmin- I get diskless setup failed.
I deleted the MD, reloaded the router and just tried the official way- which worked in the alpha until the latest upgrade...
The MD announced itself to the router and obviously reported itself back as amd64 instead of i386- I get diskless setup failed
The webadmin shows the md as amd64, I go to advanced, change it i386, save, update, rebuild image, start the md, diskless setup failed
all the while no diskless directory has been created..something got stuck and won't budge
---------------
did anyone chack what happens when you do apt-get update?
It seems some of the repositories aren't working....
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/universe/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.30 80]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:56:50 pm by maverick0815 »

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 11:26:26 pm »

major- I cannot setup my MD, because I get messages like : kernel image could not be found. As mentioned in another thread, I can confirm that there are files missing in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/  in fact it is empty... also I checked under /usr/pluto...there isn't even a  directory diskless
<snip>
---------------------
update: I ran /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_BuildDefaultImage.sh
that at least put the missing files and directories - I just noticed, that in /tftpboot I now have even a directory default, which wasn't there before.
when I now boot the MD I get Diskless setup failed.
--------------------------
so far no change.....diskless setup failed...no matter how many times I try..delete the md, reload router, start md, receive error, repeat...

Hey maverick0815 - FWIW same problem and flow for me using a Asus Eee Box (202) and 0810 beta.... (Diskless setup failed after announcing to router)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:49:41 pm by wombiroller »

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 07:29:13 am »
Perhaps some older code slipped inside the DVD-install.
Besides, did anyone try the windows orbiter? I noticed, that there are no binaries included with the install. Also on the windows orbiter I got no media buttons whatsoever- I have only Telecom and I believe security visible there.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 01:43:31 pm »
For those having MD creation issues following a DVD Beta install, have you read:   http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/LinuxMCE-0810_beta

You need to create the initial MD image by running the script: /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh before any MDs can be created.

J.

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 02:04:06 pm »
For those having MD creation issues following a DVD Beta install, have you read:   http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/LinuxMCE-0810_beta

You need to create the initial MD image by running the script: /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh before any MDs can be created.

J.

I do have Myth installed but I get stuck here;
Code: [Select]
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  pluto-mythtv-player: PreDepends: mythtv-backend but it is not going to be installed
                       PreDepends: mythtv-frontend but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
#### Package pluto-mythtv-player failed (/tmp/tmp.lFSpF13245) - We wait 10sec and try again - to stop retrying press Ctrl-C.

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 02:22:40 pm »

J.

I do have Myth installed but I get stuck here;
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  pluto-mythtv-player: PreDepends: mythtv-backend but it is not going to be installed
                       PreDepends: mythtv-frontend but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
#### Package pluto-mythtv-player failed (/tmp/tmp.lFSpF13245) - We wait 10sec and try again - to stop retrying press Ctrl-C.

I have the same problem with the Mythtv packages. Left it for 15 min but kept repeating the message. Stil no MD running

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 05:05:06 pm »
I can confirm this...I have the same issue here now
broken packages...mythtvfrontend and mythtvbackend
---------------------------
Another question is: would this be the same, if we went back to the alpha-installation?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:11:10 pm by maverick0815 »

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 05:48:57 pm »
I'm taking a stab in the dark here but if your having the mythtv installation problems can you check your /etc/apt/sources.list file.  Specifically the avenard repo.  

3 or 4 days ago the avenard repository changed and the 'testing' repository is now tracking myth 0.22 fixes rather than myth 0.21 fixes as it had been.  This could be causing a dependency problem on your installation.

Try remove 'testing' from the avenard repo line, if it exists, and be sure you leave 'release' (which is still tracking the 0.21 fixes).

Alpha 2.37 does not appear to have the avenard repo enabled at all.  I installed Alpha 2.37 2 days ago and did not experience this issue and the avenard repo was not enabled by default.  Try removing the 'testing' repo from you sources.list before bailing on the dvd install.

J.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:07:24 pm by phenigma »

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 06:14:15 pm »
well, to change to 0.21 would be quite problematic. The core already runs on 0.22 by default now. I ran into this problem when I last did an upgrade with the alpha. I was quite surprised, when I suddenly had a totally different mythtv... then I was dismayed, because it screwed around with the database. It wanted to upgrade the database, because the installed database was 29 versions behind...the upgrade didn't go through, so I dropped the database in mysql and created a new one...from there things didn't really go any better...
Essentially you proposal would mean to probably reinstall the whole core and change the sources there, which might have further implications, because I assume the developers thought about something, when they included the avenard repo testing...from there you will also get the latest nvidia-drivers. As I also saw there are some problems with nvidia-180-glx, which is also broken.
As far as I understand, currently there is no easy solution for this...except if you switch from mythtv to vdr, perhaps.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 06:26:46 pm »
Essentially you proposal would mean to probably reinstall the whole core and change the sources there, which might have further implications, because I assume the developers thought about something, when they included the avenard repo testing...from there you will also get the latest nvidia-drivers. As I also saw there are some problems with nvidia-180-glx, which is also broken.
As far as I understand, currently there is no easy solution for this...except if you switch from mythtv to vdr, perhaps.

I believe the 'testing' repository was added to the DVD install before the avenard repository changed to 0.22-fixes.  I could be wrong but I hadn't heard anything about support for 0.22 within LMCE0810.  See: http://avenard.com/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Entries/2009/10/15_MythTV_0.22-fixes_RC1_in_testing.html

The nvidia-180-glx package is also from the avenard repository and has also undergone changes in the last few days.  A checkout using the 'release' repo from avenard repo does work.  Individuals requiring vdpau will have to manually install libvdpau0.  See: http://avenard.com/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Entries/2009/10/4_VDPAU_packages.html

J.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 07:30:57 pm by phenigma »

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 06:43:47 pm »
did you also check this
:http://avenard.com/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Entries/2009/8/27_Trunk___MythTV.html ?
to go back, you'd have to do some major work....I tried that one before last Friday and it didn't really work out...that was exactly the reason, why I did try the DVD.
I imagine quite a number of people have the same problem right now and I don't think that this is really a solution. In this situation I'd rather wait for the devs to come up with something.
Either they can modify the setup to avoid going to mythtv 0.22 or they find a way to go with it. The first alternative would make me do a new install, the second might be a dist-upgrade.
Right now I'd rather not try the above mentioned method, because there is a high chance of screwing up more while trying to fix it and then having to reinstall everything again- something I'm not looking forward to.
My bet is, we will be seeing a new dvd soon or something like it, because there are a number of things missing or not working properly, unlike with the last alpha.