Author Topic: beta-problem with MD  (Read 36792 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: beta-problem with MD
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 05:32:10 pm »
The Nokia N810 runs a standard Orbiter, not a mobile one.

-Thom

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 06:38:32 pm »
of course, my mistake :-)
-------------------------------
since I cracked my system accidentally last Friday with the updated mythtv I became a bit hesitant, but I can't help but wonder....how the existing installs from the alpha will make the shift to that one. If I could backup my exisiting install completely, I would like to try again. I think what caused most of the headache was the fact, that my MD first got the new version and I was scrambling to get my core to comply. Before I killed the beta-install I made a dump of the mythconverg, so that in case I could restore it again in a new install...I got pretty tired watching the progressbar for the tuning grow ever so slowly :-)
In theory I could just change the avenard repo to "release testing", drop the current mythconverg and do a aptitude update and aptitude dist-upgrade,reboot,restore my backup of the mythconverg and then proceed with the update of the MD
Right now I have a spare 200Gb hdd sitting around, which I could use to do a complete backup....any suggestion, what to use for that?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:34:23 pm by maverick0815 »

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 12:29:14 am »

Hey maverick0815 - FWIW same problem and flow for me using a Asus Eee Box (202) and 0810 beta.... (Diskless setup failed after announcing to router)

[/quote]

Same here - Diskless Setup Failed. Any ideas how to get round this?
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 01:42:59 am »
Same here - Diskless Setup Failed. Any ideas how to get round this?

Check this post: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8425.msg61787#msg61787

J.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 08:52:56 am »
Cheers, will have a look at that tonight.

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 10:38:23 am »
Right now everything is running A-okay again, even the windows orbiter - don't know why it didn't show the media buttons right away.
Anyways, I had some minor issue with Mythtv on the MD, but I could resolve it again with this one:
Code: [Select]
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8971.msg61434#msg61434in case someone runs into this problem again

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 05:58:35 pm »
After reading all you peoples tips I finally managed to get passed the 'Diskless Setup Failed' message. The MD set up for a long time and now wants to try to load the AV Wizard but it fails and gives a Blue screen with the message 'AVWizard Failed to setup X' I searched the forum for this problem and found a lot of threads about this problem. I've tried a number of possible solutions like manually installing the latest Nvidia driver on the MD but I get stuck with the same message again. Maybe I should mention that my Core has no Nvidia graphics card (it's an Intel MB with onboard graphics) because I'm not using my Core for video playback. I tried this thread http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8460.msg56517#msg56517 and it worked fine but when I tried the 'dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xorg-server' it says: /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: xorg-server is not installed. Again I searched the forum for this but can't seem to find a solution.
I've got so far so i really would like to get to the AV Wizard. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help so far

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 06:53:54 pm »
I tried this thread http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8460.msg56517#msg56517 and it worked fine but when I tried the 'dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xorg-server' it says: /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: xorg-server is not installed. Again I searched the forum for this but can't seem to find a solution.
I've got so far so i really would like to get to the AV Wizard. Any suggestions?

I've not attempted this myself but the package xorg-server is not a known package in ubuntu.  Try xserver-xorg, I think that's the package you want.

J.

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 10:17:57 pm »
After reading all you peoples tips I finally managed to get passed the 'Diskless Setup Failed' message. The MD set up for a long time and now wants to try to load the AV Wizard but it fails and gives a Blue screen with the message 'AVWizard Failed to setup X' I searched the forum for this problem and found a lot of threads about this problem. I've tried a number of possible solutions like manually installing the latest Nvidia driver on the MD but I get stuck with the same message again. Maybe I should mention that my Core has no Nvidia graphics card (it's an Intel MB with onboard graphics) because I'm not using my Core for video playback. I tried this thread http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8460.msg56517#msg56517 and it worked fine but when I tried the 'dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xorg-server' it says: /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: xorg-server is not installed. Again I searched the forum for this but can't seem to find a solution.

Thanks for the help so far

same problem, mine is a intel board using a sis chip, dont think nvidia drivers will apply, would it? its a D201GLY2 board and it was giving me ui2 (not so good though) with the last alpha release.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 10:22:21 pm by Newguy2 »

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 10:46:27 pm »
After reading all you peoples tips I finally managed to get passed the 'Diskless Setup Failed' message. The MD set up for a long time and now wants to try to load the AV Wizard but it fails and gives a Blue screen with the message 'AVWizard Failed to setup X'

Am now in exactly the same situation.

I did try having a play with the hardware acceleration options in LMCE Admin, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

May I also say thanks for all of the help so far. Am trying to add relevant information to the wiki as we go.

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 11:41:39 pm »
@Thingie
If I am not mistaken, the thread you referred to  was for 7.10. I don't think you need to do any of this on 8.10. But one thing after another...if you don't want to use your core for playback, then you don't need to invest too much work with drivers there. For starters, I would suggest you use basic skin and the UI1 with static images for your core. Should you decide later on to use it, you can still try this later. I used to have an eee-box before, which also used an Intel graphics chipset, but that handled only UI2 with overlay.
About your MD, I suggest also for start ui1 and static images. Use this to setup your MD. Once your orbiter is setup completely, you can go to KDE-desktop and check with your restricted drivers. I also had some trouble at first with my ASROCK Ion 330- I couldn't even activate the restricted drivers.
I put the avenard release repository, did apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade and reboot. After that, I went to the KDE-Desktop again, opened a terminal and did nvidia-xconfig, which wrote me a new xorg.conf. With the next reboot I forced the AVWizard and set it up to fullHD and UI2 with alpha-blending.
Try it out and let me know if it helped.
----------
Now I have a question of my own: When I'm watching TV or movie, after some minutes the screensaver seems to kick in and blacks out my TV..how can I keep this from happening?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 11:47:24 pm »
do you have a device template for your TV? This should not be happening at all, is the KDE desktop active while you're doing this? If so, you should disable its screensaver completely.

-Thomq

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2009, 02:17:16 am »
After reading all you peoples tips I finally managed to get passed the 'Diskless Setup Failed' message. The MD set up for a long time and now wants to try to load the AV Wizard but it fails and gives a Blue screen with the message 'AVWizard Failed to setup X'

I did try having a play with the hardware acceleration options in LinuxMCE Admin, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

May I also say thanks for all of the help so far. Am trying to add relevant information to the wiki as we go.

well i tried another md, same result. has anybody got an md working or solution?

samsung

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2009, 08:16:48 am »

I did try having a play with the hardware acceleration options in LinuxMCE Admin, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

well i tried another md, same result. has anybody got an md working or solution?

updated beta......same problem here too

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2009, 09:29:12 am »
About your MD, I suggest also for start ui1 and static images. Use this to setup your MD. Once your orbiter is setup completely, you can go to KDE-desktop and check with your restricted drivers. I also had some trouble at first with my ASROCK Ion 330- I couldn't even activate the restricted drivers.
I put the avenard release repository, did apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade and reboot. After that, I went to the KDE-Desktop again, opened a terminal and did nvidia-xconfig, which wrote me a new xorg.conf. With the next reboot I forced the AVWizard and set it up to fullHD and UI2 with alpha-blending.
Try it out and let me know if it helped.

How can I choose UI1 and static images if all I get is the 'Failed to setup X' screen? I never see anything of the AVwizard.