Author Topic: Kernel Source  (Read 6213 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Kernel Source
« on: September 05, 2006, 01:59:22 am »
Trying to download the kernel-source package for the latest build (.40) and it doesn't seem to be in the repository. Any chance someone from Pluto can update this.

Also, what changes to the standard kernel are made by Pluto. Is there documentation on this? Or is it just a build with a certain configuration?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Kernel Source
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 01:49:53 am »
I have added this as a mantis request which is probably what I should have done to start with.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
kernel source
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 10:04:14 am »
Hi,

You can get the kernel source (not packaged) from our ftp. Just login to ftp.plutohome.com and you will see in the pub folder the kernel tarball, linux-2.6.16.20.tar.bz2.
Hope this helps you.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Kernel Source
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 02:15:28 am »
Thanks, that should do fine.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Kernel Source
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 10:57:32 pm »
New version (0.41) seems to have updated the Kernel version (Pluto-2 instead of Pluto-1) so I assume that there has been some sort of Pluto specific change. I am guessing just a different config.

Anyway - It means I have to build my webcam drivers again, which isn't particularly hard but when I grabbed the new Kernel-Source and Kernel-headers packages (They are now downloadable .deb packages for this release) there seems to be a problem with the headers.

It doesn't seem to have all the sub directories that usually go under /usr/include ; for example there is no /usr/include/sys/types.h

I thought this should have been populated by the install of the kernel-headers package. I could be wrong though. They could come from another package I don't have.

So does anyone know if my assumption is correct and if it is can someone from Pluto perhaps check their packaging of the headers (and maybe source) to see what went wrong.

Regards
Darren

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Kernel Source
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 05:14:54 pm »
You should find the kernel source installs into /usr/src/
most software looks for /usr/src/linux as its kernel header and source path

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Kernel Source
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 12:20:23 am »
yeah that is what I thought as well.

But after installing the kernel-source, setting up links etc and then going into the source directory and doing a make oldconfig (or make menuconfig for that matter) it tries to compile a couple of files in the scripts sub-directory.

This is failing with a lot of messages like "Can't find sys/types.h" and a few other files.

I thought that this would be in /usr/include/sys which does not exist on this machine. There is a types.h in the /usr/include however.

I looked on my core machine and it has several sub-directories under /usr/include which have types.h in it. None of these exist on this MD machine though.

All of this worked on this machine prior (ie: version 0.40) so I am wondering what went wrong.

I am tempted just to do a rebuild image on the machine and start again but I have done this on my other MD and it can't get through the install so I have held off.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Kernel Source
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 08:10:42 am »
I also had a problem trying to compile on the current .41 release, when issuing make menuconfig I was getting  a large number of errors.

I resolved the problem by installing development packages again.

I cant remember which packages I installed, but it was 5 or 6, I didn't bother with kernel headers, just installed kernel sources, unziped them and linked /usr/src/linux to the kernel sources directory.

NOS

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Kernel Source
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 11:17:44 am »
Quote from: "darrenmason"
New version (0.41) seems to have updated the Kernel version (Pluto-2 instead of Pluto-1) so I assume that there has been some sort of Pluto specific change. I am guessing just a different config.

Different config. Radically different config. Our config was giving interesting kernel panics, so we took Debian's config instead without changing the sources, and the problems fixed themselves (others seemed to take their place though, but not as severe). :)

Quote from: "darrenmason"
Anyway - It means I have to build my webcam drivers again, which isn't particularly hard but when I grabbed the new Kernel-Source and Kernel-headers packages (They are now downloadable .deb packages for this release) there seems to be a problem with the headers.

Don't use the .deb files. For some reason, they don't work and I didn't have the time to figure out why. Get the .tar.bz2 from http://ftp://ftp.plutohome.com/pub/

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Kernel Source
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 11:20:55 pm »
Thanks Radu

I will give the downloaded source a try, hopefully with more success.

Darren

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Installing kernel-source (version 42)
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 05:51:22 pm »
Hi friends,
because I want to run VMWARE-Server on pluto, I need to install the kernel-source on pluto, but if I do apt-cache search, there are no packages found for kernel version 2.6.16-20.

Can you give in short form, how to install the kernel-sources on pluto with the bz file from ftp-server, or is there an other way?

thanx and regards
mardoc

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Kernel Source
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 09:49:37 pm »
deb packages seem fine now, have succesfully compiled a number of packages without problems.

NOS

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
installing the kernel-source
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 12:26:14 am »
Hi,
my problem is, that I don´t know, how to install the kernel-source. If I do:

noname_7120:~# apt-cache search kernel-source
fglrx-kernel-source - Kernel module source for the ATI graphics accelerators
nvidia-glx - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
xserver-xorg-input-wacom - X.Org X server -- wacom input driver
wacom-kernel-source - source for the wacom binary modules
wacom-tools - utilities for wacom tablets and other hid devices
cpad-common - common files to support the Synaptics cPad driver kernel modules
cpad-kernel-source - source for the Synaptics cPad driver
freeswan - IPSEC utilities for FreeSWan
kernel-patch-debian-2.4.27 - Debian patches to Linux 2.4.27
kernel-patch-debian-2.6.8 - Debian patches to Linux 2.6.8
kernel-source-2.2.25 - Linux kernel source for version 2.2.25
kernel-source-2.4.27 - Linux kernel source for version 2.4.27 with Debian patches
kernel-source-2.6.8 - Linux kernel source for version 2.6.8 with Debian patches
kernel-tree-2.4.27 - Linux kernel source tree for building Debian kernel images
kernel-tree-2.6.8 - Linux kernel source tree for building Debian kernel images
misdn-kernel-source - Source code for the mISDN modules
oprofile - system-wide profiler for Linux systems
nvidia-kernel-source - NVIDIA binary kernel module source
noname_7120:~#

So,  there are no sources available for the newest kernel in V.42.

I saw on pluto´s ftp server the file:
kernel-source-2.6.16.20-pluto-2-686-smp.tar.bz2
but I´m not the expert to know, how to install this kernel sources on my server. :roll:

Is there a way to install the sources on pluto?

With the version 40, the installation of the sources with apt-get wasn´t a porblem.

thanx mardoc

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Kernel Source
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 12:32:22 am »
I am not at home at the moment so am going from memory...

But try using linux-source instead of kernel-source. They packaged it up using linux-source as the package prefix for some reason.

The one in the repository seems to be OK now.

Regards
Darren