Author Topic: network problems on new 8.10 beta  (Read 8138 times)

skyking

• View Profile
network problems on new 8.10 beta
« on: October 17, 2009, 03:27:47 am »
I am using:
A Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H motherboard with realtek 8169, I did read up about those problems.
I then tried a fresh install after I disabled the onboard NIC, using a very common Intel pro/100 PCI nic.
It was probed as an e100 in /var/log/dmesg and shows up as eth0 in the desktop network configurator as disconnected.
No amount messing around at the desktop would do anything, so I went to console.
I've tried editing /etc/network/interfaces manually to set it as either dhcp or with a static address. I can bring it up or down, but it never shows an address.
I tried all the same with an Intel Pro/1000MT as well.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: network problems on new 8.10 beta
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 05:21:36 am »
Hi,

What are you trying to setup here?  A Core system?  A media Director?

skyking

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 05:41:40 am »
I downloaded the 810 beta torrent that was new today. I chose the last option on the menu, install linuxMCE. I was planning on using it as a hybrid, as I understand the definition in the wiki.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 08:23:58 am »
Then I presume you have two NICs and both are connected to their respective networks? What does the other NIC show? Sounds like you may have the NICs back to front.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 01:22:54 pm »
I had this problem (repeatedly with lots of systems.

Assuming you mean your external network isn't getting an address from your internet router (my issue) or your MDs are not getting addresses, then turn off STP on your switch.

I can't over-emphasis how many times I've seen this problem over the years! The faster machines get, the worse the problem is....
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 05:11:22 pm »
I then tried a fresh install after I disabled the onboard NIC, using a very common Intel pro/100 PCI nic.
I tried all the same with an Intel Pro/1000MT as well.

As colinjones said, you need two (2) NIC cards for a hybrid/core system.  Make sure the onboard NIC is re-enabled and leave the Intel card in the system as well.

skyking

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 08:36:30 pm »
Sorry guys, I did not look closely enough and really had no idea it must be the network gateway. I'll re-enable the onboard nic and hope it does not choose that one as the outward facing interface. If so I'll have to get the right parts and pieces to fix the realtek issue and burn a cd or put them on a thumb drive and mount that, and drag them over and fix it.
I won't be using it as my gateway and it will be the only media front end in our home.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 09:17:19 pm »
You've started out on the wrong foot ... reading just the basic requirements would have highlighted this issue for you ... go here http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Network_Setup and set your networking up correctly! 0810 should not have the "Realtek issue".

If you are still not getting an IP address on the external network, you can test for the STP blocking issue that weirdbeard talks about by waiting at least 1 minute, then:

sudo ifdown ethx
sudo ifup ethx

where x is the number of the external interface.

BTW, you can use ifconfig to determine which NIC is which by looking at the MAC address... generally eth0 should be the external and eth1 the internal.

skyking

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 10:48:01 pm »
I gave it another nic, enabled the onboard realtek and that worked (thank you very much!). It was ID'ed as eth1 and got an address from my router OK. I then have the install script running from the desktop. Thanks again for the tips. As I typed this mediatomb just came up as a UPNP device and I took a look into that. Fun times!

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 11:17:44 pm »
Congratulations.  It's a complex system but the wiki and the forums are full of good information.  Have Fun!

skyking

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 11:55:57 pm »
OK, I have one more question since I'm at the top of the forum and all............ ;)
Will I be able to use this in a one NIC setup, not as a gateway or dhcp server without sacrificing any small animals or anything like that?
My first exposure to <other than windows> was a gateway box that did teach me many things (freebsd 2.x, IPFW on a socket 5 computer, LOL) and I prefer hardware appliances for that now.

ckerkhoff

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 01:18:39 am »
You can, but I'm pretty sure you'll miss out on a lot of the features if you decide to go that route. If you search around it's been done, I can't remember where, but I think I've seen something in the wiki and the forums.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 10:33:44 am »
To be honest, the main problem (if you hack it around to do what you say) is that if it isn't the DHCP server, then the whole pxe boot / pnp MDs won't work.

It is intended to become an appliance solution, so most end users (eventually) won't have the tech skills to setup a proper firewall etc. Given that you can hook in your security etc., a firewall is needed. Also, some ISPs lock the routers etc so you can't mess around with them and turn of the internal DHCP (even if you know how). Overall, let the core be the gateway and it all should "just work".

HTH
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 11:39:06 am »
did you read the link I posted you? aside from the $15 for the NIC (which you have already invested in) what is your objection? instead of patching the core into your network as you were expecting to before you read the install instructions, you just place it between your broad band device and the rest of your network... until i hear a rational reason why this materially impacts your network, I'm not going to add anything further... that is the design, its been discussed to death in a hundred threads on the forum.... do some basic searches. the only thing you have mentioned is that "gateway boxes" taught you a lot, don't see where the issue is, other than you want to be able to say its an "appliance" box rather than its a "gateway" box, which is a meaningless distinction... its a box, there's no material difference.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 03:19:40 pm »
OK, I have one more question since I'm at the top of the forum and all............ ;)
Will I be able to use this in a one NIC setup, not as a gateway or dhcp server without sacrificing any small animals or anything like that?
My first exposure to <other than windows> was a gateway box that did teach me many things (freebsd 2.x, IPFW on a socket 5 computer, LOL) and I prefer hardware appliances for that now.

Well look inside pretty much any router, switch, AP etc...and you will find Linux and all the same software tools we run on the Core ;-)

So really you these are not 'hardware only' appliances...

We have Core's that have only ever been rebooted because for some external reason...if configured correctly on stable hardware they will every bit as reliable as that 'hardware appliance' you favour ;-)

All the best

Andrew

PS My home Core has been up for 188 days as i write this...and believe me we work it very hard indeed!
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk