Author Topic: ZFS and RAIDZ  (Read 5934 times)

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
ZFS and RAIDZ
« on: October 16, 2009, 04:19:06 am »
And idea or desire to use ZFS and RAIDZ on the core? Would it cause any problems?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZFS/

goku

• View Profile
Re: ZFS and RAIDZ
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 08:03:17 pm »
nope, i use zfs on the core for 3 years. just make sure you get the new ver that you can find. l8r

extremeshannon

• Regular Poster
  • Base Jumping in Twin Falls
    • View Profile
    • ExtremeShannon
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 07:42:58 pm »
Very interesting concept. Are you using ZFS with LMCE810? Should this be implemented before loading LMCE or can it be after?

goku

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 04:11:17 am »
Very interesting concept. Are you using ZFS with LMCE810? Should this be implemented before loading LinuxMCE or can it be after?

no i was using zfs in 710 and the older vers. you will have install zfs after installing linuxmce.

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 11:10:18 pm »
goku, you should think about folding ZFS as a package into LinuxMCE...

tempx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:58:46 am »
Very interesting concept. Are you using ZFS with LMCE810? Should this be implemented before loading LinuxMCE or can it be after?

no i was using zfs in 710 and the older vers. you will have install zfs after installing linuxmce.

Hi,

I was using ZFS in 810 i.e. created the ZFS pool in kubuntu and mounted it manually to the file system used by my LinuxMCE core. However I never managed to get my LinuxMCE core to recognize it in the same way as it does with raid and mounting the ZFS pool manually was not a solution that allowed me ta take the benefit of the LinuxMCE solution and work in the long run.
So I am now using raid instead of zfs, most likely this was due to my limited knowledge of LinuxMCE.
I really liked ZFS and it would be very nice to use it again so if you have any sugestions on how the ZFS pool can be configured to work with LinuxMCE it would be very much appreciated.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:17:21 am by tempx »

goku

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 08:43:56 am »
goku, you should think about folding ZFS as a package into LinuxMCE...

sorry but i don't have the skill or the time to try and learn how to do it. i was hoping it would get added some where down the line. i have since moved on to hardware raid. zfs is good if you are looking for a cheap way to get something up and running. as a whole i would wait till they figure out a way to better expand the raid array once it's been made.

goku

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 09:14:29 am »

Hi,

I was using ZFS in 810 i.e. created the ZFS pool in kubuntu and mounted it manually to the file system used by my LinuxMCE core. However I never managed to get my LinuxMCE core to recognize it in the same way as it does with raid and mounting the ZFS pool manually was not a solution that allowed me ta take the benefit of the LinuxMCE solution and work in the long run.
So I am now using raid instead of zfs, most likely this was due to my limited knowledge of LinuxMCE.
I really liked ZFS and it would be very nice to use it again so if you have any sugestions on how the ZFS pool can be configured to work with LinuxMCE it would be very much appreciated.

true manually mounting the file system is not the way that linuxmce wants you to do things. but at that time i said to hell with that because zfs is way... better then the software raid that comes with linuxmce. so i set out to figuring out how linuxmce mounts it's stuff. all the software is doing is auto mounting the share and making links that point back to the shares on the core or md if the share is there. one thing i didn't link about the auto mounting was once it makes the mount it puts it in a some kind of other folder and not in the video folder so you know where it is. once it's in that other folder you can't use the filename view as it's not in the video folder the auto mounter doesn't link to it. the will show up in the title view but i don't like the title view as i have a lot of files. so all i did was made the link to the zfs mount place in the video folder and did the same for my md's with a line in the rc.local to auto mount the share and that's it's. you only need zfs on the core the rest is taking care of by smbfs really. but all this is just my 2 cents.  ;D

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 12:00:26 pm »
How about you guys bring your thoughts together and figure out how to fully implement zfs with LinuxMCE...

tempx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 08:39:17 pm »
Goku thanks for the explanation seems that you found a way to handle the mounting. I was struggeling with the export files on the core and the fstab files on the md but your way seems to be much better.

tempx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 09:10:36 pm »
How about you guys bring your thoughts together and figure out how to fully implement zfs with LinuxMCE...

It would be nice to have zfs working in linuxmce. I would foresee that the the functionality could be very similar to creating a raid device today (including functionality so the zfs pool would be mouned automaticaly to the file system).

Some thoughts besides the issue of expanding the zfs pool as prevoisly mensioned:
  • Fuse (that implements zfs in linux) runs in user space which I do not know if this might be a issue.
    To take the full benefits of ZFS it should be run on a 64-bit operating system I do not know if linuxmce 810 will be released on Kubuntu 64-bit ?

Otherwise my experience of manageing the zfs pools is quite straight forward (on a basic level) and fuse was easy to install with debian packages in kubuntu 8.10.