Author Topic: Adding Drives in LMCE 810 Raid or not having problems  (Read 4759 times)

extremeshannon

• Regular Poster
  • Base Jumping in Twin Falls
    • View Profile
    • ExtremeShannon
Adding Drives in LMCE 810 Raid or not having problems
« on: October 14, 2009, 12:14:25 am »
Have recently gone to 810. I had 1 Raid 0 set-up in my 710 system. After my 810 was up and going I moved my raid over. I got LMCE web admin to see the raid, see the drives under the raid. Not able to see any files or add to. I pulled out my raid and put in my 710 box works great. After days of trying I decided to remove all my files and recreate the raid. After deleting the raid and trying to recreate I am not able to add my drives. Just not there in the drop down list. If I restart the Core it auto creates a raid 0 with the drives. Great but still not working. The raid is not online so I check that and even restart still nothing. When I go thru Samba and look at shares I see device ## as a share. Still not able to use. I have even just put 1 disk in and try to let LMCE use it. Something I see is "Raid Status 3" not sure what state that is? 0, 1, 2 or the numbers the tip tells me about. I did do a fdisk -1 forgot to keep the output before I removed the drives. It showed the Disks but stated the partitions where not usable or recognizable.

Code: [Select]
extremeshannon@dcerouter:~$ mount
/bin/mount: line 11: /var/log/pluto/umount-wrapper.log: Permission denied
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
none on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
/dev/disk/by-uuid/93f4f32a-1282-461b-a3a9-9c8f7346f22b on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,data=ordered)
/dev/disk/by-uuid/93f4f32a-1282-461b-a3a9-9c8f7346f22b on /dev/.static/dev type ext3 (ro,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=755)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
tmpfs on /lib/modules/2.6.27-14-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,gid=5,mode=620)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Drives in LinuxMCE 810 Raid or not having problems
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 12:50:49 am »
To make sure we're all on the same page (and avoid issues with future readers) - If you have RAID 0, you should never remove a drive from the array...  Remember that removing one drive from the array renders the whole array completely useless, since RAID 0 has no redundancy whatsoever.  If you're looking for redundancy and the ability to remove drives (or have hardware failures without data loss) you need to use RAID 1 (mirroring) or RAID 5 (parity).  You need at least 3 drives for RAID 5.  Google around for more.

sudo mdadm --detail /dev/md0
will give you more detail about what is going on with your array related to faults that would affect mounting.

My guess is that the device isn't properly configured.  After creating your array and getting LinuxMCE to recognize it, check the "Reconfigure Device" box on the device web-admin page, and save.  Reload the router.  If that's not enough to get it working, check the box again and reboot the system.

In my experience, this procedure is sometimes (though not usually) necessary to get all the configuration propagated to the various components.

extremeshannon

• Regular Poster
  • Base Jumping in Twin Falls
    • View Profile
    • ExtremeShannon
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 04:27:37 am »
Thanks for the response. I only put 1 HD in to see if it would reconize it and let me use it. I have check the reconfigure device and tried restarting. I have not been creating my raid then letting LCME find it. LCME created my raid for me. The raid I had in my machine came from my 710 box and worked great every time I put back in the 710 box. I broke the raid apart in hope that 810 would build it correctly.

Has anyone got 810 to use a HD correctly. I would like to use Raid0 just for the large space. Any help would be great and if anyone else is having problems post here and let see what is going on.

tempx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 10:14:05 am »
Thanks for the response. I only put 1 HD in to see if it would reconize it and let me use it. I have check the reconfigure device and tried restarting. I have not been creating my raid then letting LCME find it. LCME created my raid for me. The raid I had in my machine came from my 710 box and worked great every time I put back in the 710 box. I broke the raid apart in hope that 810 would build it correctly.

Has anyone got 810 to use a HD correctly. I would like to use Raid0 just for the large space. Any help would be great and if anyone else is having problems post here and let see what is going on.

Hi,

I have some (limited) experiences with RAID in lmce 810.
I managed to create a raid 5 system consisting 4 1TB disks by using the LMCU GUI. Initially I faced som problems since one of the disk had a bad sata cable which prevented me to buils the raid.
After replacing the faulty sata cable I could build the raid sucesfully and LINUXMCE created the filesystem and mount points (i.e. /home/public/data/video, audio etc) to the raid.
It seems to be working ok to some point but I have some issues for instance the raid is not always visible in the /mnt/device/ directory and when I ran the e2fsck command on the raid it stated that the raid had been mounted more then 4000 times during the past month, which leeds me to believe that it is constantly beeing mounted/unmounted by my lmce setup.

By looking at your screen shots I believe that you should "tick" the box "Use Automatically" that will most likely do that your raid is mounted and you could start to use it, since it seems that your raid has been created sucessfully.

It would be intresting to know if this would help, aswell if you experience the same issue as I have with the raid constantly beeing mounted/unmounted.

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 11:56:01 am »
Hi Tempx,

It seems to be working ok to some point but I have some issues for instance the raid is not always visible in the /mnt/device/ directory and when I ran the e2fsck command on the raid it stated that the raid had been mounted more then 4000 times during the past month, which leeds me to believe that it is constantly beeing mounted/unmounted by my lmce setup.

Not sure why it is so, but if you do a "ls /home/public/data/videos/Storage*" you will se the /men/device again. And I also asked the same Q - why linuxmce mounts and unmounts the drive all the time. The answer was that the automounter system takes care and thats it.

Greetings
Viking

tempx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 07:48:53 pm »
Hi Viking,

Thanks for the clarification and workaround to see the raid in the mnt directory again. I just wonder if it might effect the raid negatively to be mounted/unmounted so frequently ?

Best regards

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 10:06:00 pm »
No, it doesn't affect the disks negatively, in any way.