Author Topic: HADesigner - ODBC Connector - Connection Help  (Read 5353 times)

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
HADesigner - ODBC Connector - Connection Help
« on: October 15, 2009, 05:16:18 pm »
Good Morning from Houston, Texas.  Hi Folks, I'm Charles Triola (rocketlynx) on the Forum, and I'm setting up my HADesigner for Orbiter Mods and General Support.  I've had experience over the years on program design, web design and general menu layouts using HTML, PHP and some "C" so I want to get myself familiar with HADesigner as fast as I can.  I've gone through the wiki pages, forum posts and videos, but I'm having trouble right at the start, mysql connecting.

Everything's installed, Microsoft stuff, .Net framework, .NET ODBC Provider and MySQL MyODBC Adapter.  I'm bombing at connection to the Core's MySQL database.

First, I'm using my laptop running 32bit Vista.  Has this been successfully done on Vista or do I need XP.  My Laptop is on the Core's Internal LAN, it sees the Windows PC and I see the DCERouter.  I have an assigned IP of 192.168.80.247 from the DCERouter on the Vista PC.

On the Core, I've done this:

Code: [Select]
(console prompt)mysql pluto_main -uroot
mysql>USE mysql  (this seems to be redundant, I'm already there)
mysql>GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON pluto_main.* TO charles@192.168.80.247 IDENTIFIED BY charles
mysql>FLUSH PRIVILEGES
mysql>\q
(back to console prompt)

Then at my Vista laptop, I go to START-->Administrative Tools-->Data Sources (ODBC), click on the tab "System DSN" and edit the connection:
Data Source Name: linuxmce
Description: (blank)
Server: dcerouter
User: charles
Password: charles
Database: pluto_main

Upon clicking the Test Button, I get a "MYODBCConfig" popup window with the info: Request Returned With SQL_ERROR.
In looking at the Diagonostics window, I get a message: [MySQL][ODBC 3.5.1 Driver]Access denied for user 'charles'@'192.168.80.247' (using password:  YES)

I know I'm close because if I change the Server name from dcerouter or the database name from pluto_main, I get different errors and right now, I must be hitting the MySQL server and am just being denied access.

Is the wiki correct for LinuxMCE 8.10-Alpha2-Latest?  Is ther anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks,
Charles

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: HADesigner - ODBC Connector - Connection Help
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 05:56:44 pm »
Good Morning from Houston, Texas.  Hi Folks, I'm Charles Triola (rocketlynx) on the Forum, and I'm setting up my HADesigner for Orbiter Mods and General Support.  I've had experience over the years on program design, web design and general menu layouts using HTML, PHP and some "C" so I want to get myself familiar with HADesigner as fast as I can.  I've gone through the wiki pages, forum posts and videos, but I'm having trouble right at the start, mysql connecting.

Everything's installed, Microsoft stuff, .Net framework, .NET ODBC Provider and MySQL MyODBC Adapter.  I'm bombing at connection to the Core's MySQL database.

First, I'm using my laptop running 32bit Vista.  Has this been successfully done on Vista or do I need XP.  My Laptop is on the Core's Internal LAN, it sees the Windows PC and I see the DCERouter.  I have an assigned IP of 192.168.80.247 from the DCERouter on the Vista PC.

On the Core, I've done this:

(console prompt)mysql pluto_main -uroot
mysql>USE mysql  (this seems to be redundant, I'm already there)
mysql>GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON pluto_main.* TO charles@192.168.80.247 IDENTIFIED BY charles
mysql>FLUSH PRIVILEGES
mysql>\q
(back to console prompt)

Then at my Vista laptop, I go to START-->Administrative Tools-->Data Sources (ODBC), click on the tab "System DSN" and edit the connection:
Data Source Name: linuxmce
Description: (blank)
Server: dcerouter
User: charles
Password: charles
Database: pluto_main

Upon clicking the Test Button, I get a "MYODBCConfig" popup window with the info: Request Returned With SQL_ERROR.
In looking at the Diagonostics window, I get a message: [MySQL][ODBC 3.5.1 Driver]Access denied for user 'charles'@'192.168.80.247' (using password:  YES)

I know I'm close because if I change the Server name from dcerouter or the database name from pluto_main, I get different errors and right now, I must be hitting the MySQL server and am just being denied access.

Is the wiki correct for LinuxMCE 8.10-Alpha2-Latest?  Is ther anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks,
Charles

Hi Charles,

Why dont you drop by the #linuxmce-devel channel on irc and look for TSCHAKWerk or TSCHAKeeePC (Thats Thom who is the MAN to ask about HADesigner) and ask there.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:10:26 pm »
try

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON pluto_main.* TO 'charles'@'192.168.80.247' IDENTIFIED BY 'charles';

and don't forget the ; at the end of each line

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 12:50:09 am »
try

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON pluto_main.* TO 'charles'@'192.168.80.247' IDENTIFIED BY 'charles';

and don't forget the ; at the end of each line

Oh Wow!  Colinjones, it worked.  I didn't have the ' 's around the userid and the password.  The wiki needs correcting, it shows the single quotes only on the password and not the userid or the IP number.  Also, not knowing the mySQL/ODBC syntax, I didn't realize I needed the semi-colon at the end of each statement (line).

Also, thanks to totallymaxed, I needed to learn how to get on the #linuxmce-devel IRC Channel.

Now, One more small thing. I need to master the use of HADesigner.  Just adding a little humor to my anxiety.

Thanks again Guys,
Charles

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 12:53:20 am »
rocketlynx, please update the wiki.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 08:11:58 am »
rocketlynx, please update the wiki.

Done!
Charles

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 02:29:48 pm »
I didn't "know" either, but I was "aware" there was a syntax issue (from memory) so.... I searched on the forum for "grant all privileges" and lo... it was there in post from Zaerc among several others! Moral: searching the forum for basic key words is just as valuable as searching the wiki :) And yes, if you see an obvious error on the wiki... correct it immediately before you forget.... then the wiki will become more useful ;)