Author Topic: SOLVED: AVWizard resolution problem  (Read 4622 times)

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
SOLVED: AVWizard resolution problem
« on: October 12, 2009, 07:47:25 am »
Having been through multiple installations, different BIOS versions, nvidia driver versions, and having crossed my fingers a few too many times, I've finally had a breakthrough on the issue of getting past AVWizard.

Problem I was having was as follows: AVWizard gives blank screen regardless of selected output connection  (1,Q,2,M,3,4,5) and resolution (6,7,8,9,0)

I went through AVWizard blind and took a look at Xorg.0.log. It was reporting "no requested modes" and reverting to "nvidia-auto-detect" 1024x768, and my display was having none of it. Even though AVWizard set the correct "1920x1080" modeline in the monitor section of xorg.conf, X server wasn't trying to use it apparently. Issue was solved by adding the following to the Screen Section:

Subsection "Device"
Modes "1920x1080"
EndSubSection

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: SOLVED: AVWizard resolution problem
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 11:43:06 am »
Having been through multiple installations, different BIOS versions, nvidia driver versions, and having crossed my fingers a few too many times, I've finally had a breakthrough on the issue of getting past AVWizard.

Problem I was having was as follows: AVWizard gives blank screen regardless of selected output connection  (1,Q,2,M,3,4,5) and resolution (6,7,8,9,0)

I went through AVWizard blind and took a look at Xorg.0.log. It was reporting "no requested modes" and reverting to "nvidia-auto-detect" 1024x768, and my display was having none of it. Even though AVWizard set the correct "1920x1080" modeline in the monitor section of xorg.conf, X server wasn't trying to use it apparently. Issue was solved by adding the following to the Screen Section:

Subsection "Device"
Modes "1920x1080"
EndSubSection

Sounds like an EDID issue with the TV.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 05:57:10 pm »
You may be right. I'd done testing with my 19" viewsonic LCD monitor which has never given me EDID issues, and had the same experience. X was setting a virtual screen size of 1024x768 and using an unsupported timing or something. So I feel like it might be more than an EDID issue.

Also, the same TV and monitor didn't have this problem on my onboard 8300 chipset, so the problem seems specific to the graphics card. 

In any case, can a button be added to AVWizard to force the resolution, so that the user doesn't need to go through the long process that I went through?

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 06:12:32 pm »
What was the solution (for others)?

Are you using the gfx card or onboard gfx now?

What gfx card?

For others that may stumble on this, I have an nvidia 7300 card and could never get HDMI to work.  Same symptoms, black screen and nothing you can do about it.  My TV has a VGA connector so I bought a long monitor cable which I am using now. 

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 07:11:09 pm »
1) Go through AVWizard blindly. The steps for me were as follows:

Code: [Select]
<Q> (for HDMI)
<0> (1080p)
<enter>
<enter>
<right arrow> (for accept resolution, continue)
<enter>
<down> (for UI2 no alpha)
<enter>
<enter>
<enter> (for analog out)
wait 3 seconds...
<right> x 16 (sound 100%)
<enter>
<enter>

2) ssh in and modify xorg.conf as follows:

Under Section "Screen"
Add

Subsection "Device"
 Modes "1920x1080" #this might be different for you, but it should match the modeline name in the monitor section
EndSubSection

3) wait a few minutes until you hear the config wizard come up ("when you can see and hear me"). You're still blind at this point.

wait for HDD access to stop just to be safe.

4) reboot from ssh or power button.

voila, should bring you to the config wizard.

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 06:02:05 am »
I am having the same problem.

I use DVI port, my card is nvidia 7200. My AV wizard goes fine but when "sara" comes in for some reason it make 800 * 480 and i just cannot see the buttons on setup wizards.

I can understand your steps but can you be more specific about going  "shh in" and modifying xorg.conf file? (exactly How?)

i mean from step 2 onwards.

thanks you.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 06:10:07 am »
I can understand your steps but can you be more specific about going  "shh in" and modifying xorg.conf file? (exactly How?)

i mean from step 2 onwards.

thanks you

I connect using a windows program called putty. Just connect to port 22 of dcerouter (or 192.168.80.1). Login,then

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Make your modifications, then CTRL-X to exit.