Author Topic: Setting up Core – MDs.  (Read 17749 times)

levster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Setting up Core – MDs.
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:56:35 am »
I had an interesting experience so far setting up my Core / MD units. My Core has been up and running for about a week now, with no major problems. One of my Win 7 machines keeps loosing its IP, but I think that that is isolated to that one as all of my other PCs and Macs are doing OK.

For the last several days I have been trying to set up a second LinuxMCE machine, on a Zatac 330 platform. I could not install 7.10 successfully, but was able to install 8.10 on it before, when I first started playing with MCE. This time however, I could not get the 8.10 to go through the process of updating itself to MCE no matter what I did. I tried reinstalling the OS from CD several times, and then going through the steps of upgrading, only to get the same errors that some of the components could not be downloaded, and the update process would constantly hang.  ??? That is until I tried one thing.

I took out the Core out of the loop completely, and connected the new PC directly to the cable modem. It installed and upgraded in one easy step…  :D I am not sure why, but it seems that the Core “running” my network was somehow interfering with the new PC’s download process… If anyone has other thoughts, please – I would love to hear them, as I have one more Zotac based PC that I will set up. If I do not have to take out the Core, at least for the original OS install, that would be nice.

My second question is – do I need to disable the Core function on the new Zotac PC that will act as an MD only? It has one NIC. I saw that there is an option on my 7.10 to disable the Core and leave the MD to load at startup.

Sorry for the long history, but I thought it was interesting to me, and maybe can help someone else.  :-[

Lev

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: Setting up Core – MDs.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 06:22:09 am »
You should have only 1 core in a lmce install ... set the ion to pxe boot and set it up as a MD.

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 07:05:03 pm »
yep i think you may be confused here as to how an MD works. it does not have anything installed to it, in fact it does not even need a hard drive. turn it on and set it to boot from network. answer the questions. done.

levster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 07:34:33 pm »
Can you please elaborate as to how I can set an MD to boot from a network? I was under impression that I need LinuxMCE to be setup on all machines. Also, how does the fact that the Core, which is an older AMD machine with an ATI card, running 7.10, allow newer Zotac board with an Nvidia 9400 video card to run? How do I set up the correct video drivers?

If I can get the MDs to boot up and act as slaves with the Core pushing the content would be ideal!

Thank you,

Lev

PS. OK. I looked up the info about the network boot, and will definitely try it. Still, how do I make sure that the newer video card is supported?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:02:45 pm by levster »

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 12:52:54 am »
Can you please elaborate as to how I can set an MD to boot from a network? I was under impression that I need LinuxMCE to be setup on all machines. Also, how does the fact that the Core, which is an older AMD machine with an ATI card, running 7.10, allow newer Zotac board with an Nvidia 9400 video card to run? How do I set up the correct video drivers?

If I can get the MDs to boot up and act as slaves with the Core pushing the content would be ideal!

Thank you,

Lev

PS. OK. I looked up the info about the network boot, and will definitely try it. Still, how do I make sure that the newer video card is supported?

1. You will have only 1 Core fully installed with LinuxMCE as per the wiki, the others will install from the Core over the LAN
2. Your Core will have two (2) Network LAN Cards, in your case 1 on the motherboard and another usually in a PCI slot
3. 1 NIC, network interface card, becomes the external LAN, connected to your broadband modem or WIRED port of a router and the other becomes the LinuxMCE internal LAN usually connected to a switch (or a router with the DHCP server functions turned off - the Core needs to supply the IP to the MDs and, if any, Mobile Orbiters)
4. Connect your Diskless (No hard Drive) computers that are to be "Diskless Media Directors" to the Core's internal LAN switch, one at a time initially, so that the Core can recognize them and build a Media Director image (on the core) for them.
--- Picture the Image of a Media Director as a drive that the Media Director's computer would boot from when turned on except, it resides on the Core and boots the MD over the Core's Internal LAN ---
5. If you are using LinuxMCE 8.10-Alpha2-Latest, and you should, the video in your Zotac should be recognized and at least get you an output from the VGA connector.  I would recommend connecting to a VGA monitor at first and then fine tune the output of your HDMI connector using the AV/Wizard after everything is set up and you are familiar with setting up your first Media Director.

Note: I use a wireless router with the DHCP server functions turned off for my Internal LAN so that my Media Directors can be hardwired over CAT5e and my WebDT 366 Orbiter can communicate through the wireless portion, with WEP Key encryption for security.

I hope this helps to clear some of the confusion up.

Best Regards,
Charles
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 01:00:59 am by rocketlynx »

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 10:19:28 am »

Thank you,

Lev

You need to have LinuxMCE-0810 installed on your Core for the newer hardware like the Zotac's or Revo's to PXE boot and deliver MD capability. We have an alternative approach but it involves purchasing a Core with Cascade installed (Cascade is my companies commercial variant of LinuxMCE). See the the url to a thread discussing this in the footer of this message if you'd like to explore this option.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

levster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 05:20:21 pm »
Thank you for the replies.

I have set up an 8.10 on an AMD PC with an A8N-E board, and a second (PCI-based) NIC. I used the 8.10 because I do want the Zotacs to be functional.

DHCP "seems" to be working as I have leases to my other PCs in the house. However, the Core does not seem to "see" one of the PCs that is running unRaid. I have set up a static IP on the unRaid and am able to connect to it through the other PCs, just not the Core. When I set up 7.10 on the same AMD PC, the unRaid was quickly detected and added appropriately, so that I could browse it's contents from the Core.

How do I rediscover the unRaid box from the Core manually?

Thanks,

Lev

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 06:01:17 pm »
is there a reason you arent using dhcp for it? lmce uses dhcp requests to find new hardware so you should always use it.

levster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 06:06:02 pm »
I wanted to have a static IP on it as my Mac seems to have trouble connecting to it unless I use a static IP. It seemed to work with the 7.10 version.

levster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 06:13:45 pm »
OK. I set my unRaid box to obtain IP via DHCP and it did. It shows up under the DHCP client list with a valid MAC and an IP. However, I still do not see the wizard that lets me add the unRaid to the LinuxMCE.  ???

In the past, when I added any additional computers to my network, LinuxMCE Core would ask me if I wanted to use that PC for storage, and... This time - nothing!!! What am I doing wrong???

Well, after doing some research, I figured a way to manually add shares, and so far it seems to be working. It seems that the "cataloguing" of video files takes a long time... But, at least, they are coming through...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:17:26 pm by levster »

levster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 04:09:57 am »
So,... I am trying to do PXE boot, and the new MD keeps rebooting about 15 seconds into the initial boot-up. I have read here that a common issue was having two NICs and disabling one solves the problem. My Zotac 330 ion board only has one NIC! I do have an integrated 802.11g card. I'll try disabling that. Has anyone with this board had similar issues and been able to solve it? I keep getting stuck at what appears to be step 10.xxxxxx

Occasionally, I get an error "cannot connect to router".

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Lev

levster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 06:03:56 am »
I am a bit further now.

By digging some more around here I stumbled on the following suggestion:

/usr/pluto/bin/startup-script.sh

That seemed to get the MD to the point where there is a message

"We announced ourselves to the router."

There is also a message of a permanent IP being assigned: 192.168.80.2 to a device '45'
Running Diskless_Setup.sh
Diskless Setup Failed

This is where I am stuck now...

Please, any suggestions, as I have searched for the "diskless setup failed" and there does not seem to be any more leads...

jthodges

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 03:36:50 pm »
A number of us are having this issue with the current build.  I haven't heard of or found any workarounds yet, so we may be waiting a bit until someone is able to look at it.  Unless anyone else has an answer?  I am also stuck at this point.

levster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 03:54:07 am »
I have setup my Core and "MD" with both 810 and, being a novice at this, it seems to me that the second PC, which is supposed to be MD and only has one NIC, is trying to play the part of the Core. In 710, during the initial bootup, I remember that there is an option to disable the "Core" and just let it boot up as an MD. Is there a similar feature in 810, that would let the second PC boot up as a "slave MD"?

Also, a little different question: Where can I adjust the scaling of video? On a PC I know that I can go into my video card's setup and scale down the video to fit my projector screen. Here, I am not sure where to look.

Thanks,

Lev

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 04:28:23 am »
*thwaps-levster*

boot from the network, and you'll have an MD. DO NOT ATTEMPT A DISKED MD!

No,

Don't argue.

Just do it.

-Thom
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 04:33:51 am by tschak909 »