Author Topic: Hulu desktop app for Linux released  (Read 13520 times)

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Hulu desktop app for Linux released
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 05:39:46 am »
Instead of wasting time and energy implementing something for an old, out of date version that is already well underway in the new version, why not get yourself a copy of 0810 and learn by either squashing bugs or by implementing (or finishing) other new features?

First, because it is not a waste of my time. Until 810 becomes more stable I have to sell working products/feature enhancements to pay for the time and hardware to throw at development. 710 works in a production environment with little annoyance. Learning and tinkering is one thing, trial by fire another. I want to tinker with a system I can sell. I would be drowning trying to squash bugs. I need development time. I am rusty, and a bit out of my element. I am a good at what I do... and somewhat task obsessed... and an insomniac. I offer value, but I know how I work. I need my feet wet. Bug running when I don't understand the processes behind the bugs would be the wrong way for me to learn. I need to develop first. If I can afford myself a couple of months at a time, I can do some damage here.

I think the picture viewer/slideshow idea is fantastic, and where I am going.

Thanks to all. Once work slows just a little, I'll be all in.
I never quit... I just ping out.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 05:44:01 am »
heh. another fly by nighter...

have you gotten a license from Pluto?

-Thom

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 05:06:06 am »
I don't fly, and I am always above board.

Not really sure what the attitude is about, but as it is shared by a few I have to assume I am just coming across as a douche.

I have a background in java portlet dev and designing/programming autonomous PLC based control systems. I have, to this point, only asked questions. My practical reasons for wanting to stick with 7 do not require anyones approval. I have been screwing around with lmce for about 6 months, almost entirely offline, and have done some interesting things, considering how green I am to linux and how long it has been since I punched code.

I am here because I want to help. I need to be in a position to do so first. IF I can reach that point serving a need... I guess I don't understand why someone would take issue with it. Trying not to get all butt hurt over your comment Thom, but its tough when I walk in holding such respect for you. You said you could write THIS in a day which was what caught my attention. Sounded like a good place to start.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 05:19:48 am by l3mce »

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 09:33:21 am »

Not really sure what the attitude is about, but as it is shared by a few I have to assume I am just coming across as a douche.

I have a background in java portlet dev and designing/programming autonomous PLC based control systems. I have, to this point, only asked questions. My practical reasons for wanting to stick with 7 do not require anyones approval. I have been screwing around with lmce for about 6 months, almost entirely offline, and have done some interesting things, considering how green I am to linux and how long it has been since I punched code.

I am here because I want to help. I need to be in a position to do so first. IF I can reach that point serving a need... I guess I don't understand why someone would take issue with it. Trying not to get all butt hurt over your comment Thom, but its tough when I walk in holding such respect for you. You said you could write THIS in a day which was what caught my attention. Sounded like a good place to start.

Hi l3mce,

Firstly welcome!

Dont mind Thom's attitude...he dishes out 'love n peace' to all comers here (and he does not discriminate when doing so!). Its just his way...and we love him for it too. Having said all that Thom is also probably the most prolific contributor here so he has more than paid his dues so to speak.

So put all of this behind you and get on with whatever gets your juices flowing about the system - we need people like you to get involved!

All the best

Andrew

PS Cascade & Dianemo are both based on LinuxMCE-0710 by the way.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 10:08:47 am »
l3mce: Please understand, we deal with a lot of people who immediately try to take this system and start selling it without learning the ends and outs of the system, and those of us doing support have to pick up the pieces...

The Hulu integration has been done for some time and is in the source tree for 0810, if you'd like to take a look. The approach is literally to wrap the hulu desktop app, and use my WindowUtils library to send keypresses to it.

-Thom

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 12:38:17 pm »
Why so touchy?

Thom is an obsessive developer (thank God for that!) who "burns the midnight oil" as they say. In other words a "fly by nighter". That was a welcome, not an insult.

Nobody was suggesting you aren't above board. A lot of people come here and go "Hey I can sell that and make my fortune" without realizing the legal requirements for a Pluto license.
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2009, 06:17:35 pm »
Thom is my hero. That is why I am so touchy.

I don't want a fortune. I want people to have a great product that stops costing ME thousands of dollars. I just want to recoup some losses. My current working system:

4x2 TB HW RAID 5 = 5.7Tb (finally booting from lsi megaraid 150-6)
ASUS m3n78-ev
Phenom II 2.8 dual
8gb corsair 800
Big corsair psu

UI2 alpha on 7.10 audio over optical/HDMI

Zwave cheap modules for lighting/climate

Alarm system I built on a 16 zone seimens PLC w autodial from a trac phone and a big gc unit. Not finished but functional.

I have several clients ready to buy. Haven't sold any because it, and I, are not ready.

I have a small computer shop, and we just picked up a large national client... so my time is limited lately to develop for something we do not do. In a few months my nerds will be able to handle most of the duties for the big client.

I love lmce, and am humbled and awed by this community, and would like very much to be a part of it. I just have to feed the fam while I play. Money is less of an issue now. It is just time.

I have not given up on 8.10, it solves so many 7 issues. I am just too dumb to make it work well. But I'm getting smarter... I really just want to get the guys foaming at the mouth a stable system by christmas.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 09:15:33 pm »
Sorry, I think you misunderstood my comment too  :-[

I was exagerating about the fortune thing  :o I was just pointing out that a lot of people have thought of selling MCE commercially (for whatever reason and for however much) without realizing that there is a license requirement. I've not explored what it involves, others have. It may just be a hoop to jump through, or it may be a costly experience, I don't know and they can advise.

Anyhow, good luck and let us know how it goes  :)

Now, enough thread-hijacking by me!
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 10:38:07 pm »
My mysterious lady parts have stopped hurting. Thank you.

License cost isn't an issue with these clients.

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 01:43:53 pm »
I'm running the new 810 beta2 but I'm not seeing Hulu in the interface.  Is there some hoops I need to jump through to get it working?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 03:10:24 pm »
I have not included it, as we have bigger bugs to squash atm.

-Thom