Author Topic: need help  (Read 10764 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: need help
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 09:11:08 am »
-f 'ing the DCE router log and watch for the registration events
:o How rude!
 ;D

hmmm yes I wondered about that as I typed, but let it go :)

samsung

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 03:52:40 pm »
Thanks for the help thus far. just posting my results. after "f'ing"(lol) a slew of error mssages...   i reinstalled yesterday, solved another issue with the 185.18.36 nvida driver. I found that even the 180. driver will not work to eliminate that problem. That solved the loss of signal after reboot. the driver is causing a weird screen position issue, where i have chosen a few different video settings, but none fit properly and shows up as a 1/4th of the linuxmce screen visible at the bottom right of the screen.  Had to move he screen to the very top left and shrink the screen in the wizard.  It still looks messed up but usuable for the core use.   after running   "/usr/pluto/bin/startup-script.sh", it was somewhat working to boot md's, minus the media networking issues and errors that led to another install.  now i'm not getting past announcing ourselves to the router followed by..... diskless setup failed Smiley

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 04:36:18 pm »
Not sure about the first part of all that, but I tried adding a second reco to my system yesterday after going to .37 alpha and I got the same diskless setup failed, but I thought it was because the device registered as an amd64 (hadn't been a problem before) but thought that a web admin change to i386 and rebuilt would fix the problem- hadn't had the time

samsung

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 04:53:09 pm »
oh i forgot to mention that i tried that, sorry

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 09:57:05 pm »
Not sure about the first part of all that, but I tried adding a second reco to my system yesterday after going to .37 alpha and I got the same diskless setup failed, but I thought it was because the device registered as an amd64 (hadn't been a problem before) but thought that a web admin change to i386 and rebuilt would fix the problem- hadn't had the time

Not 100% sure what issue you are describing here... but just in case it helps - just changing the MD architecture field to i386 will not change the architecture, you must use the rebuild image button. It selects AMD64 because your CPU is capable of it and so builds all the boot files in that mode. Once done, if for some reason you need i386 (preferable), you need to change that field then rebuild the image. Note: any changes you made to the configuration of that MD will be lost by rebuilding the image, so you will need to make those changes again after the rebuild (such as adding/removing/reconfiguring modules, drivers, scripts, etc). So the sequence should be: boot new MD to create AMD64 image, modify the architecture field to i386, rebuild the MD image, make all configuration changes to the image.

Another note: the MD images are decompressed from a purpose built bzip'd archive file, they are NOT generated from the core's own files and configuration, so do not assume that any config changes, driver updates, etc you perform on the core will pass to the MD.

samsung

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 11:29:47 pm »
collin, thanks for taking the time to help dude. with your help and patience, the nvida 185 drivers, and

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8425.30

i got a md up and running. thank you dude  ;D

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 05:31:28 am »
Not 100% sure what issue you are describing here...

Was responding to his last bit:

now i'm not getting past announcing ourselves to the router followed by..... diskless setup failed Smiley

And no, the AMD64 was not the issue- the issue was solved by adding the quotes as mentioned in this post here:  http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8425.30

But it's all pretty moot with the beta coming out:  http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=9010.15