Author Topic: Network Help  (Read 5207 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Help
« on: August 19, 2006, 09:18:35 pm »
Hello, I installed Pluto Core on a dedicated PC with 2 network cards. One is attached to the internet cable and the othe rone is attached to my WRT54GS router (do I need to connect it to de wan port or to one of the other 4 ports?).

My router addresse is 192.168.1 and all the addreses of my network are assigned with DHCP from 192.168.1.100

Do I need to change the router address? I can turn DHCP off no problem.

The thing is that I think Im setting Up the network wrong because I can see the pluto admin but I dont have internet.

Also when I try to do a network boot after it says READY, there is a black screen and it seems it will place the MD screen but suddenly a lot of error lines start to show.

What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks
Martin

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Help
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 10:37:17 pm »
Martin,

First, let's start with the simple things that could go wrong:

do I need to connect it to de wan port or to one of the other 4 ports?

Connect the "LAN" or "internal" port of the core to the "WAN" port of the router.  (Make sure the router is set for dynamic addressing for its WAN port so that it picks up an IP address and DNS settings from the core.)

------------

Did you make sure that your core's WAN port got an IP address from your ISP?  You may have had to unplug your cable/DSL router for 10 sec and replug it back in, then reboot the core.  This will force it to pick up a new IP address.  You can check what that IP address is on the core by typing:
ifconfig
to see all your interfaces or
ifconfig eth0
ifconfig eth1
for your LAN and WAN ports.  I don't know which one you initially setup as your LAN or WAN ports when you installed Plutohome, so you'll have to play around a bit to find out.

------------

By "Internet cable", do you mean the cable connected to your cable/DSL modem?  I'm assuming yes.  I'm also assuming that when you say

I can see the pluto admin but I dont have internet

that you are able to connect to the pluto core using a web browser on another computer.  If this is all true, then it may be that the ethernet cable you are using needs to be changed.  For example, if it is a "straight-through" cable, change it with a "cross-over" cable or vice versa.

I hope this helps.

Sevak

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Help
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 03:30:37 pm »
Quote from: "semiprime"
Martin,
Connect the "LAN" or "internal" port of the core to the "WAN" port of the router.  (Make sure the router is set for dynamic addressing for its WAN port so that it picks up an IP address and DNS settings from the core.)

No this is wrong.Then the PLUTO DHCP server don,t now the address off the clients. Best is to use a switch instead off the router. But i f you don't have this then connect the PLUTO internal LAN to one off the LAN ports in the router. BUT you also have to disable the DHCP server in the router. The only DHCP server on the network should be the PLUTO.

/Per

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Help
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 03:35:17 pm »
You have to check first on the core if you got internet connection, see if you can reach www.google.com or any other website and then check the nat table on the core : iptables -nvxL -t nat (pay attention at the POSTROUTING chain). Now you have to connect the router with the core in the WAN port and setup the WAN port on that router to get the IP with DHCP from core. The router probably has his own NAT rules so the computers behind this router will get out to internet using the 2 NAT tables (from router and core).
Let me know if this is the answer to your problems, maybe I missunderstood it.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Help
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 11:51:21 pm »
Thank you very much for your answers. Sorry I couldn't reply earlier but I was out of town doing other things.

Well, let me tell you that since I didn't know what to do (before I got your answers) I installed a Hybrid system. It is working fine, I have disabled the HDCP on the router and now Pluto is the DHCP server. I have internet available on every computer on my network, so everything is working fine. The only thing I haven't done yet is to do a network boot, which I will try to do during the week.

I assume that I only have to create a new MD, assign the MAC address of the PC I will use as a MD and that's it, right?

Thanks again.
Martin

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Help
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 10:37:14 am »
to add a new md all you need to do is to network boot. pluto will detect the new device and ask you what to do with it. you need to assign a new room for it, to avoid having 2 md's in same room, entertainment area.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Help
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 11:59:01 pm »
Thank you Ill do that  :D

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Help
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 01:46:54 am »
Quote from: "dan.g"
to add a new md all you need to do is to network boot. pluto will detect the new device and ask you what to do with it. you need to assign a new room for it, to avoid having 2 md's in same room, entertainment area.

Hi,

I've tried that but it didn't work for me. MD said "announced to router, please continue on Orbiter", but no popup appeard on 2 Orbiters, that were active at that time.. Is this behaviour normal or am i missing something ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Help
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 06:49:39 am »
I got the same on one of my MD's as well. As it was a pretty standard MD I ended up removing it and adding it from Admin - seemed to go all right from there.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Help
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 01:20:51 pm »
it should work, i mean i use this way every day with 5, 6 md's.
as a workaround you may need to use the pluto-admin, add generic pc as md with mac address and do the setup diskless.