Author Topic: [solved]No sound at all neither on hybrid/ core nor MD on 8.10 alpha  (Read 5183 times)

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
I recently revamped my whole network. My core is now running a athlon 7550 x2 on an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe with 2 GB ram. In addition today I received an Asrock Ion 330.
I followed the wiki for setting it up with the nvidia-drivers and so far so good.
The big downside I'm facing is, that I don't get any sound at all from neither machine. I have them both hooked up to my sony receiver. The Core is connected with spdif coax, while the MD is using spdif optical. In the webadmin I've set them both to Nvidia HDA. I checked on the core with the alsamixer, that the iec958 is not muted and I cranked the volume up.
On the md I got no such thing, alsamixer shows me only 2 channels: one for PCM one for Front. Interesingly I found in the restricted drivers, that there is an Intel HDA activated, while aplay -l says its Nvidia HDA.
In addition to this mythtv still doesn't want to let me watch TV. The setup complains about the storage groups and the playback quits with "There was a problem displaying this video".
So currently all I can do is watch movies without sound...
Does anyone have any pointers for me, how I can solve any of those issues?
thanks in advance
[edit] the mythtv problem seems to be limited to the MD, TV works on the core...but still without any sound
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 05:50:19 pm by maverick0815 »

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: No sound at all neither on hybrid/ core nor MD on 8.10 alpha
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 06:31:05 pm »
okay, I got one problem solved
I updated Alsa on the MD to 1.0.21...I did a little digging around the net and arrived here:

Code: [Select]
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1046137They provide a script, that automatically downloads, compiles and updates the drivers, if I understood it right.
(you have to be registered to download the script)
So now I checked with alsamixer and suddenly I got all the controls I needed...sound optical is working nicley now.
I haven't tried hdmi, but right now I don't care that much for it.

Right now I have only two issues remaining here: getting the sound from the core
and getting MythTV to playback TV on the MD. MythTV-stup still claims that there non-exisiting paths for storage, but they are all there.
Interstingly, like I mentioned earlier, TV is working on the core.

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 04:25:43 am »
okay, I got one problem solved
I updated Alsa on the MD to 1.0.21...I did a little digging around the net and arrived here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1046137They provide a script, that automatically downloads, compiles and updates the drivers, if I understood it right.
(you have to be registered to download the script)
So now I checked with alsamixer and suddenly I got all the controls I needed...sound optical is working nicley now.
I haven't tried hdmi, but right now I don't care that much for it.

Right now I have only two issues remaining here: getting the sound from the core
and getting MythTV to playback TV on the MD. MythTV-stup still claims that there non-exisiting paths for storage, but they are all there.
Interstingly, like I mentioned earlier, TV is working on the core.

My system was working and i lost sound all of a sudden. My soundcard is detected in alsamixer. I want to try updating alsa there are few problems.
I found similar script but it has tobe in /home folder. for some reason I can not copy it in /home :(

if you can give me steps to follow with commands,, i would appreciate.

Thanks .

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 07:50:05 am »
First of all, you should check in your webadmin, if the correct soundcard has been set for your Mediadirector.
I don't know what other steps you have taken so far and what outputs you want to use (analog, digital coax/optical etc) I will go through the steps I did, just to make sure.
Some may frown about it, but the simplest way is to go to the KDE-Desktop of your specific mediadirector.
Open up a terminal and type
sudo alsamixerThis should give you the mixer for your soundcard, where you can check all the available outputs. On most machines the digital output is IEC958. Make sure this is unmuted and the volume is up. This is so far the situation on my core/hybrid. On the ASROCK Ion330, as you read above, the situation was different.
Here the upgrade was needed. If you still have not done so, go now to your ailing MD, open the KDE-Desktop and open up this page again. Download the attached file and open a terminal session.
Move to the directory, where you have saved the file and
tar xvf AlsaUpgrade-1.0.21-4Then
sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.21-4.shWait until its finished...about 15 minutes and then reboot
After that, the sound should work instantly, if not check again with alsamixer.
Let me know how it went.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:57:04 am by maverick0815 »

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: [solved]No sound at all neither on hybrid/ core nor MD on 8.10 alpha
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 06:57:07 am »
This is amazing. It worked like a charm everytime. Thank you very much. this is extremely helpful.