Author Topic: New device template for MediaDirector  (Read 14644 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
New device template for MediaDirector
« on: September 01, 2006, 06:53:51 am »
Question for anyone - probably pluto staff.
For plug'n'play how does Pluto know which device template to select when a new MD announces itself. I know there are only two at the moment but I assume that it is possible to have many different ones here.

A related question is assuming that you have a known hardware configuration that is going to be repeated many times (eg: same video chip, remote receiver, remote control(s), resolution, other devices) can a new device template be setup that defaults to installing all that stuff (without needing to configure them).

Assuming the answer is yes, does this also apply to defaults on all devices, such as Xine player etc.

Can this also dictate which modules/drivers are installed by default, or is this worked out from dependancies on each device?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 01:24:34 pm »
the device template is only one: generic pc as md
the other one mec as md isn't fully programmed.
we're implementing a back-up system for this, but it's not completed
the backup should apply for all devices.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 01:49:33 am »
But does that mean others can't be created?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 09:57:47 am »
the backup means that all devices from database will be restored with previous settings, including orbiters, xine players, interfaces, etc.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 01:41:47 am »
Sorry dan I must be missing your point here.
From what I understand you are implementing a backup mechanism which will allow device configuration to be stored and I suspect replicated.

But I am still unclear whether Pluto will support the creation of a different device template for Media Directors, which has its own default child devices and configuration settings.

Thanks
Darren

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 09:45:29 am »
but the media director device creates automatically the rest of it's child devices like : mithtv, xine, orbiter, etc. everyone with own settings, configs.
why do you need a different template?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 02:28:33 am »
Say I have a specific piece of hardware that is always configured the same, same video drivers, same sound drivers and same peripherals (LIRC receiver, other interface devices).

The example I am thinking of is an XBox (see other posts in general) but the same scenario could exist with different hardware, in fact I imagine that Pluto themselves have a specific hardware configuration that they would resell as a Media Director even though it may be based on standard parts.

For one part having a different (specific) MD Device Template would just be a conveniance factor and allow easier setup of those MDs but the real problem that I think I will face is a way to differentiate types of MDs. This may be to use different kernels or even a completely different set of binaries (eg: MD with PowerPC chip or something).

It looks like Pluto has been designed to cater for this but I am not sure whether over time and updates there have been changes that prevent it from working. It looks like there is currently some scripted dependencies between the kernel version of the core and its MDs but this doesn't seem to have been a design decision rather a mechanism for getting it working in the short term. Is this correct?

Thanks
Darren

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 10:07:15 am »
i think i got your point, your reffering to the commercial product when we'll have thousands of machines with the same standard config and parts.
it's not a must to do that because the process is 'natural', that's the trick. anything, any device is detected and immediatly the propper piece of software/drivers are installed and this isn't taking too long.
there isn't a significant gain of time doing a personalized installation of the cd for specific hw against an installation with normal cd.
we're working now for a smp kernel which supports the dual processors but that's the only major point that could exist in this case.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
SMP Kernel Progress?
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 07:20:15 am »
Any progress on an SMP Kernel yet?

If not which kernel source do you recommend me compiling against?
File: kernel-source-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto.tar.bz2
File: kernel-source-2.6.15-pluto-1-686.tar.bz2
File: linux-2.6.16.20.tar.bz2

Help?