Author Topic: iPhone Dev  (Read 4414 times)

randomblink

• View Profile
iPhone Dev
« on: October 01, 2009, 05:39:44 am »
Just curious what the status is on the iPhone as an Orbiter process?
Is anyone doing this? Or is it still just a dream?

I ask because I just began a one year program at my local college on Mobile Dev. I am learning Objective C this semester and will be learning iPhone development next. I am also planning on setting up LinuxMCE on my box at home and a dream is to link them ALL together... anyone?

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
Re: iPhone Dev
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 06:58:41 am »
I am in the process of trying to get a dev environment set up, then I'll take a punt at this.

BUT (and it' a big but)

Please don't let this put anyone else off having a go. I may never get that far and I'd hate someone to read this to not bother!
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 07:00:26 am »
Just create the iPhone orbiter, and toss it on iTunes Store for $10. I'd buy it.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 05:56:55 pm »
Someone did a proof-of-concept iphone app, so tracking that down and pulling it apart would be a good first step.

Possy went in a different direction, and had started on a mobile web orbiter that has some potential, but I understand he has suspended development pending him actually having a device to test with. It's not based on the traditional LMCE UI1, it's based on the traditional apple UI.

I personally favor the idea of implementing the LMCE UI as an iphone app, but the obvious downside is that it would be less versatile.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 06:05:21 pm »
Guys, have none of you studied the mobile orbiter code?

It wouldn't take anything to port it. It is just contingent on having RFCOMM support in the iPhone stack.

Hari did the initial java port in a WEEKEND, after EVERYBODY else was too scared to do it, saying "OH, this will take _MONTHS_". I'm getting VERY TIRED of people not stepping up!

-Thom

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 06:14:09 pm »
I'm getting VERY TIRED of people not stepping up!

Thom, I AM stepping up here. I currently don't have a dev system (either MCE or iPhone) and don't want to make any promises until I have. I thought I was being quite clear. WHEN I have my system running, I will look into this UNLESS someone else does it first. I'm trying to convey to people that it will happen, without putting someone off who may be able to get there faster than me.

Once my dev system is running, I'll no doubt be flooding you with questions either here or on IRC ;)
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65