Author Topic: Linux MCE vs VISTA MCE  (Read 4655 times)

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Linux MCE vs VISTA MCE
« on: September 26, 2009, 05:29:14 pm »
Hi Guys

I have used linux mce for over a year and i am now using Vista MCE

I Want to post my personal comparision to help Linux MCE improve, it can only be benefitial for its development.

Installation:

Linux MCE has the drivers onboard and Vista MCE is a question of installing the mobo drivers
Linux MCE is a bit picky on its hardware, while Vista MCE does have the advantage of a wider range of compatibilaty

On both i installed them on a TFT and when finished i hooked them up on my full hd TV

On linux MCE i needed to change resolution and work with a TFT next to my tv for setting up.
Also Dolby 5.1 was not working.

In Vista MCE i booted the same pc on my pc and he immedialtely took the good resolution (1920 *  1080)

Also the S3 sleep function works in Vista MCE

Tools:

In linux MCE you have a build in ripper and DVD librabry system, on Vista MCE not.
I had to install anydvd and mymovies 2 for Vista MCE.

On linux MCE i can not play Blu ray DVD, on Vista MCE i can! it uses Powerdvd to play the blu ray.

The Quality of sound and pictures are very good in Vista MCE, on Linux MCE i get the tearing of video..

In Vista MCE he can immediately recognise my pictures on my CF card from my camera and asks me if i want to import them.

On Vista MCE i see allot of system power being used, on Linux mce he works fine with less power.

On Vista MCE i can goto movie channels, games, and install a new satelite card.

On linux MCE not and i have to be very carefull installing a satelite card that works without hacking.

On Vista MCE i can do home automation if i would like and on linux mce its build in.

Thats my experience, and i must admit that Vista MCE just works better for my usage (video, music, pictures, satelite, PVR)
You might now be able to give me 10 workarounds, but i should not have to workaround and fiddle for the basic things that a mediacenter should be able to do..

I hope there comes a day when i can say, i am using Linux MCE again!

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Linux MCE vs VISTA MCE
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 05:49:29 pm »
Your comments, though accurate in most cases, may be misleading for new users.  It's also important to realize this is a case for one user - In my experience, it is easier, quicker, and significantly cheaper to set up and run LinuxMCE than any of the Windows MCE products.

Quoting from the FAQ, first section ( http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ#What_Does_LinuxMCE_Do_For_Me.3F ):
"LinuxMCE is a whole home automation suite"

Notice it does not say "media-center" - that's because it does a lot more stuff - media is just one aspect.  Read the rest of the section for a pretty complete list of things Vista MCE cannot (and will never) do.

Sounds to me like you had hardware incompatibilities with your graphics card.  You should probably read:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ#Ok.2C_I.27m_sold_-_what_do_I_need_to_run_LinuxMCE.3F - second bullet and:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ#Why_does_LinuxMCE_Require_nVidia_graphics_cards.3F__Why_can.27t_I_use_my_ATI_card.3F

Unfortunately, support for blu-ray discs is not possible in Linux right now because it is a closed standard.  This frustrates many of us.  LinuxMCE can control an external Blu-ray player, and with proper setup it can rip some discs to the core and then play.  The external player is a better option in my opinion, and more reliable.

Hardware support is generally the stumbling point when running systems like this in Linux, since many companies do not produce Linux drivers for their hardware.  It's getting better every year though.  This is probably what you experienced with your sound card - there's probably some special configuration needed.

Also, hardware support is significantly better with LinuxMCE 0810 alpha than with 0710.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 08:19:20 pm »
Yeah, VisaMCE is so wonderful that you even had to ask us for support here...  ::)

Furthermore, I see no use in posting this kind of obvious flame-bait again, so don't be to surprised if this thread gets deleted.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 11:53:39 pm »
I agree with Zaerc entirely - this is clearly trolling. The point has been made, any more posting arguing the points achieve nothing but the underlying purpose, and will at least cause the thread to be locked. Any new threads from OP that are substantially the same will be deleted.

sk1

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 04:27:04 am »
I'd like to have an argument, please.

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 10:55:28 am »
Your comments, though accurate in most cases, may be misleading for new users.  It's also important to realize this is a case for one user - In my experience, it is easier, quicker, and significantly cheaper to set up and run LinuxMCE than any of the Windows MCE products.

Quoting from the FAQ, first section ( http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ#What_Does_LinuxMCE_Do_For_Me.3F ):
"LinuxMCE is a whole home automation suite"

Notice it does not say "media-center" - that's because it does a lot more stuff - media is just one aspect.  Read the rest of the section for a pretty complete list of things Vista MCE cannot (and will never) do.

Sorry to interrupt you there but this is a big point i think.
The Linuxmce say for example "my home says hello, and does light on automaticaly, etc..."

Sorry but the majority of the public out there wants to have a mediacenter (thats wat the MCE stands for in Linux MCE) that plays perfect video, blu ray and pictures...

Its very important you realise that the common user wants this

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 10:59:35 am »
Yeah, VisaMCE is so wonderful that you even had to ask us for support here...  ::)

Furthermore, I see no use in posting this kind of obvious flame-bait again, so don't be to surprised if this thread gets deleted.
yes i used vnc and it works now..

I understand this is a sensitive subject and probably most users who dont want to use LinuxMCE would just drop th software and never come back.
I post this to let you guys realise it faults in the eyes of the common users.
I am a pc designer and see many people who have tried it.

I want to see the product better. if you delete it, so be it.

But stop focusing on the home automation and try to improve the basic media interactivity

Take the criticism as its important for a product to know its faults.
And oh yes Vista Mce has also its faults.

This comes from a guys who supports linux for years and will still do so. But i look at the big picture wich is to use my system the best way possible.

I hope i help!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 11:05:12 am by powerbits »