Author Topic: D-link DSM-510 media player as MD  (Read 9874 times)

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
D-link DSM-510 media player as MD
« on: August 13, 2008, 03:49:30 am »
Hello there,, This is my first post and i am quite a newbiee to LinuxMce.

Yet I have setup a hybrid/core linuxMce server and I am able to netboot my Dell's Inspiron 1420 from core.

Before going in to further modification, an idea click in my mind that can i use my Dlink media player Model : DSM-510 as media director?

There are some unique features about this media player.

1. these days this player is quite cheap !!!
2. It has a Wired LAN adapter on its back. it is also able to connect to wireless network.
3. Most importantly, this device has HDMI  and SPDIF digital sound output (Optical) as well as alalog audio-video output.
    I am not sure how to put an image here on post,, but if you just goolge  "DSM-510" for image,, you can have better idea what i am talking about.
4. It has its own remote control, which We might can configure on our core.

This might be a new task for developers,, And i am ready to trial with my piece. if someone suggest me steps to follow.

This device runs "Medialounge Entertainment Network" software..

Please take a look of its user manual,, easily available on Dlink,, and let me know, if i am thinking towards an absolutely impossible task or do i have some Hope here !!!!

I hope someone find this interesting and guide me to proceed further.

Thanks a lot.

theteju.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: D-link DSM-510 media player as MD
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 04:01:58 am »
Before going in to further modification, an idea click in my mind that can i use my Dlink media player Model : DSM-510 as media director?

You can use it as a network media player, but it won't be a full LMCE MD.

There's a uPNP server in 7.10RC2 that talks to the D-Link DSM's quite nicely... so in a roundabout way, you can view pics, listen to music and watch videos through it, if you use the uPNP server on your core as the network server.

I have a couple DSM320's here... I don't use them. The video is choppy and is annoying. I'd rather get a barebones box and use it. The DSM510 may work better, who knows.

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 05:11:26 pm »
hello, thank you so much for reply.

Basically i am from IT filed.. If you know more about how to set up such uPNP server. Please let me know the steps.

I would highly appreciate your help.

Thanks again.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 05:26:01 pm »
If you know more about how to set up such uPNP server. Please let me know the steps.
I would highly appreciate your help.

In 7.10RC2 the uPNP server runs automatically. You may have to set up a few things in the web admin so it knows which shares to use.

I get there in the web admin (http://192.168.80.1/pluto-admin) by clicking on Advanced > Configuration > UPnP Server

This takes to you to a frame containing the FUPPES - Free UPnP Entertainment Service
Version: SVN-r578   Host: dcerouter   Address: 192.168.80.1

Click on the configuration link and add paths to your shared media files.

And then click on the Options link. If this is the first time you've set things up, click on rebuild database. Later on, you will likely just use the Update database link.

I didn't use this feature much, as I wasn't pleased with the choppy video playback on my DSM320's. I would guess you would have to come back on a regular schedule and update the database so your new content appears on the DSM.

As far as the DSM goes... when it boots up you have to tell it what server to use. Go into Setup and scan for servers. You should see the DCEROUTER in there. Select it. Voila.

I didn't dig too far into this as the steps I did above just worked. There's a link in the frame to the sourceforge project page. I'm sure you can find more information about this program there.

csehig

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 11:56:45 pm »
Can you play "AVI" format on dsm510 linked FUPPES, please?