I'm still trying motion to get working. I have specified analog_capture_card and add 3 child devices (all based on analog_camera template).
I have few problems/questions:
1. is motion rerun after modificiations over web interface ? As it appears no... Does changes happen only on reboot ?
2. "Generic Analog Capture Card" template includes some parameters, but in my system if I click on that device, I get empty Device Data frame (and I guess those parameters should apper there - they do with child camera devices). What is causing this ?
3. upper problem is probable cause, that no matter how many child cameras I add, there is still only one default motion.conf written and startup log says:
10 03/21/05 10:45:45.097 Device: 6648 starting. Connecting to: localhost
10 03/21/05 10:45:45.199 Using Generic Analog Capture Card with parameters: VideoStandard=0 Number_of_Ports=0 Video_Input_Type=0
10 03/21/05 10:45:45.199 Writing configuration to motion.conf
10 03/21/05 10:45:45.199 Checking Config File
10 03/21/05 10:45:45.297 Config file found. Deleting
10 03/21/05 10:45:45.299 Creting new config file
10 03/21/05 10:45:45.300 Wrote typical config
10 03/21/05 10:45:45.339 Starting motion server
So I guess it looks like no child devices-cameras are present.
4. Enhancement propositions :
a. I've studied sources and came to conclusion, that USB cameras or other video capture cards (like wintv) would be easy supported with addition of some parameters to analog camera template (input, ...). I'd like to get some opinions from Pluto stuff on this one. Also, is there any shorter way instead of changing template, generation of project, merging previous source code implementation and rebuild ?
b. since I know motion, there are a lot of nice features that would be pitty to miss also in Pluto. I've read guide and selected features that would be in my opinion interesting also for Pluto system:
b.1. making motion videos - motion can generate smooth motion videos that could be watched from video repository, media cirectors, mobile orbiters, etc... There is also timelapse movie feature.
b.2 filters - I'm getting quite some false alarms. AFAIK, motion has best motion detection engine with quite some options to decrease false alarms (particularyl for outside cameras - like trees moving in wind):
despeckle, lightswtich, minimum_motion_frames, smart mask
b.3 text customizations - user can specify on screen texts for each camera (left, right) - this helps a lot when viewing cameras with their names and locations ...
All those features could be quite easily added in several ways:
- easiest: we write default values to main motion.conf and leave them
- less easy: we add parameters to generic_analog_capture_card template allowing user to change them
- more complex: we add parameters to each camera device, so settings can be camera specific.
About video movies:
- I'd like to get advice where to store motion videos, so they can be easily viewed. On my system I prefer looking at movies rather than separate pictures for alarms. There is also easy way to concatenate all videos to one movie on time basis. There is also timelapse motion feature.