Author Topic: 810 Setup core to boot into KDE  (Read 4136 times)

crazzykid

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
810 Setup core to boot into KDE
« on: September 21, 2009, 01:04:29 pm »
Hi,

Im trying to setup LinuxMCE 810 alpha 2 to boot into KDE without it always starting the media station, since the machine is purely just a server.

I have edit the /etc/pluto.conf and have the following
AutostartCore=1
AutostartMedia=0

I have also edit the /usr/pluto/bin/startup_script.sh and added the following to the last line
StartService "KDE Desktop" "/usr/pluto/bin/Start_KDE.sh"

However it still loads the Orbiter aswell as KDE at the same time.
I want it to start KDE only so i can use firefox to access lmce admin website. Since the Launcher no longer exists in 810

Any suggestions?

Cheers

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: 810 Setup core to boot into KDE
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 02:03:13 pm »
Hi,

Don't know why you are trying to re-invent the wheel.

Just let it boot up normally, use the Main menu, goto Advanced>Computing>WEb Admin.

8.10 is alpha and there is no Core only install at this time.

I don't know if there will be a Core only release.

Just make sure you do a File>Quit in Firefox or you'll get ghost screens.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 04:08:36 pm »
However it still loads the Orbiter aswell as KDE at the same time.
I want it to start KDE only so i can use firefox to access lmce admin website. Since the Launcher no longer exists in 810

It sounds like you have KDE loading at boot just fine.  The fact that orbiter is still loading may be another issue...  many people are experiencing a second orbiter loading erroneously on boot right now.  It is possible that your machine is also erroneously loading orbiter.  You may find that when this issue is fixed it may also fix your problem.

J.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 04:57:06 pm »
Hi phenigma,

Unless I totally misunderstood the original post...

In the earlier releases of LMCE (i.e. 710) if you installed via the CD method you were given a choice to during setup to run primarily as a PC or as a Core.

This option is presently not available and may not be.

Choosing How to Primarily Use the Computer

You have to select how you plan to use your computer, either:

* Primarily used as a PC -- you can start LinuxMCE manually when you need it, or

* A dedicated LinuxMCE -- you can start Kubuntu when you need it.

For the dedicated core server, choose the second option. If you have a power outage, you can then set the computer to auto-reboot and restore your system without intervention. (If you are serious about home automation, it is best to have a dedicated core server, anyway.) It is possible to access the Kubuntu desktop from within LinuxMCE (see below).

If you choose the first option and have a power outage, then you will require a boot-up script, cron scheduling, or manual intervention in order to restart the LinuxMCE system.

If you are just experimenting with LinuxMCE and/or primarily use the PC as a Kubuntu desktop, the first option is suitable. Also, if you wish to directly install LinuxMCE directly on a PC that will be used as a Media Director, but intend to trade its function back and forth between that of a Kubuntu desktop and a Media Director, also choose the first option.

(Many PCs that will be used as Media Directors can simply be netbooted from the Core, however, so you do not really need to install LinuxMCE on them at all if you intend to netboot (which is generally easier).)

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installation_Guide

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 08:04:17 pm »
Ahh, I see what you're saying.  It read it a little differently I guess, it sounded to me like he wants to run a dedicated core with a KDE desktop.  (core server but no media director functionality).

The functionality for this exists in the LMCE_Launch_Manager code (I havn't tested it myself).  LMCE_Launch_Manager seems to be erroneously loading an extra orbiter (for many) which could defeat the ability to disable the MD functionality.

J.

crazzykid

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 03:52:49 am »
Yeah basically i dont want the orbiter running on the core server.
Only want it running on my 3 MD & Mobile Phone if you get what i mean

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 07:52:44 am »
there has been alot of work going into the startup scripts the last couple days, so i think what you want will be possible in the next release.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 02:51:39 pm »
Hi crazzykid,

I use to run a dedicated Core in 710 but after running as a Core/Hybrid I prefer Core/Hybrid.

To me there seems to be some operational/maintenance advantages.