Author Topic: mythtv simultaneous?  (Read 16482 times)

enrique.lopez

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
mythtv simultaneous?
« on: September 17, 2009, 09:25:15 am »
Is possible livetv shown simultaneously in different MD with myhtv?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:27:48 am by enrique.lopez »

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: mythtv simultaneous?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:55:49 am »
Is possible livetv shown simultaneously in different MD with myhtv?

Yes thats possible with MythTV.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

ihaar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:34:21 pm »
if I'll change channel on one MD, can MythTV change channel simultaneously on all MDs?
(DVBS card installed in Core)

Ihar

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 01:43:04 pm »
no

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 04:47:54 pm »
i am not completely sure what you are asking, but you need one available tuner per simultaneous program you want to watch.
as far as i know it is not possible to watch the same program from one tuner on multiple media directors.

ihaar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 08:21:33 pm »
sorry about my English, its in progress  ::)

I'm going to setup my first LinuxMCE system: Core with one DVB-S card and two MDs
my questions is:
1. Is it possible to watch one satellite tv channel on MD1 and MD2 in the same time?
2. Is it possible to switch channels on MD1 and MythTV automatically switch channels on MD2 in the same time?

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 08:24:02 pm »
as far as i know the answer to both is no in mythtv, and linuxmce is not setup to do that even if its possible in mythtv.
if this is something you really need, you would be better off routing the signal to both tvs using normal a/v gear.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 08:35:25 pm »
I don't want to incur the wrath of those more experienced than I, but the famous video certainly implies that is possible. When discussing "follow me" and the need for fewer decoder boxes.

Surely, since Myth never plays TV live anyway, but rather a recording that is a second or two old, then it should work, shouldn't it? Or am I missing something?
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 09:18:56 pm »
I've never tried, but if you are recording something live (actually set to record, not just the normal DVR stuff) the program will show up in the recorded programs (in red if still recording).  You can play that from any MD.  In this way you should be able to watch a "live" TV broadcast on several MDs at the same time, each with pause/ff/rw capabilities.

I think the real question is can you start live TV on one MD and "broadcast" it out to all MDs.  No clue, never had a reason to try something like that.

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 09:56:12 pm »
There was a lot of talk about distributing media this way when back when some were trying to sync music like this post- http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4724.0.  There was one post that I particularly remember that talked about doing this, but (iirc) there was a long lasting bug that killed the process....  can't find it and don't have any personal experience.  If you get it working, you may find the similar "out of sync" issues as mentioned in the above thread.

ihaar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 10:28:41 pm »
I think the real question is can you start live TV on one MD and "broadcast" it out to all MDs.  No clue, never had a reason to try something like that.
no, question is about "broadcast" live tv from Core to all MDs (DVB-S tuner installed on the Core)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 11:31:02 pm »
no, question is about "broadcast" live tv from Core to all MDs (DVB-S tuner installed on the Core)
Maybe I'm not understanding you...

Do you want to know if with a tv tuner card in the core and not in a MD, can you watch live tv on a MD?  Yes, and it's all automatic.  As long as you have a tuner on any LMCE box that isn't being used, you can use it for live TV on any MD. 

Do you want to know if you can watch 1 channel, using just one tuner, live on multiple MDs at the same time?  That's the question we've been discussing, but maybe not what you are really asking about.

ihaar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 11:45:50 pm »

Do you want to know if with a tv tuner card in the core and not in a MD, can you watch live tv on a MD?  Yes, and it's all automatic.  As long as you have a tuner on any LinuxMCE box that isn't being used, you can use it for live TV on any MD.  

Do you want to know if you can watch 1 channel, using just one tuner, live on multiple MDs at the same time?  That's the question we've been discussing, but maybe not what you are really asking about.
Thanks for your patience  :)

I would like to know, can I watch 1 channel, using just one tuner in the Core (not in a MD), live on multiple MDs at the same time
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 12:09:33 am by ihaar »

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 12:42:45 am »

Do you want to know if with a tv tuner card in the core and not in a MD, can you watch live tv on a MD?  Yes, and it's all automatic.  As long as you have a tuner on any LinuxMCE box that isn't being used, you can use it for live TV on any MD.  

Do you want to know if you can watch 1 channel, using just one tuner, live on multiple MDs at the same time?  That's the question we've been discussing, but maybe not what you are really asking about.
Thanks for your patience  :)

I would like to know, can I watch 1 channel, using just one tuner in the Core (not in a MD), live on multiple MDs at the same time

Ok, so I/we did understand you the first time.  

I think I have a solution, although not perfect and I have not tried it myself.  Start MythTV go into setup->TV Settings->playback, go through the pages until you come to a page with "Show 'LiveTV' recordings when using "All Programs" filter" option and check it.  

Now start watching LiveTV on any MD.  This should let you go to another MD, go into media library ->watch recordings and select livetv.  If I understand it correctly, anything you are watching on the first MD will show up on any other MDs that are watching the livetv recorded media.  It's not going to be completely in sync, but if you FF until it's caught up it should be close.

edit:  I haven't tried it, and I don't know of anyone else who has, but I think others would be interested.  I can't test it myself right now, but I'm curious.  Let us know if this works for you.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 12:46:11 am by skeptic »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 07:58:40 am »
atm there is no setup to have other MDs follow a channel switch. You CAN have your media follow you, BUT if you change the media at any one time, this change will not progress to the other MD.