Author Topic: Web bookmarks  (Read 3964 times)

ccoudsi

• Guru
    • View Profile
Web bookmarks
« on: September 13, 2009, 04:23:05 am »
In 810 R2.34, I just tried to add some bookmarks to the Computing Menu, no luck, I used the instructions in http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Adding_new_web_links
Cheers |[BEER]
Charlie,

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Web bookmarks
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 04:37:09 am »
Hi,

Yes, I can verify it doesn't work the way described in the link. 

Also you can't edit /home/public/bookmarks.html because it is autogenerated, says "do not edit" in the header text and doesn't do anything if you do edit. ;)

I wanted to change some links for weather, news, etc. but was unable to.

ccoudsi

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 04:47:52 am »
Thanks pigdog for the confirmation.
Cheers |[BEER]
Charlie,

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 05:20:02 am »
Yes, it's a long standing bug...

It has to do with the fact that Firefox changed the way it stores bookmarks. Bookmarks.html is no longer used.

There is a compatibility layer, but it hasn't worked properly when i tried to set the appropriate settings into the firefox profile that's generated when it starts.... What needs to happen is we need someone to write code that can read/write the bookmarks store in the sqlite form, and to integrate this into the General_Info_PlugIn.

Please, help here would be much appreciated, as I am swamped.

-Thom

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 08:56:56 pm »
Has this been resolved or has anybody found a work around for the time being?

B34N

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 06:12:58 pm »
Has this been resolved or has anybody found a work around for the time being?

Yes. I just found an answer by chatting with people on the IRC. Thanks to possy, Tschack and demnvt.

The bookmarks.html file is copied from /home/public to /home/user_# when you create a user. While you could edit that file, the changes will only appear for new users. You need to edit the bookmarks.html file in the user_# directory for your users. To see who the owner is do "ls -al /home" and it will show you. I tried to change my user to the owner of the /home/user_1 directory but it still wouldn't let me in so I resorted to sudo su to be able to go into the directory and edit the file (after backing the file up of course).

My understanding that this problem came about when firefox changed how it handled bookmarks. A fix is not planned since firefox is going to be replaced with a microbrowser. Should this be put on the Wiki? If so, is there a more appropriate way to get into the user_# directory and edit the bookmarks.html file than using sudo su?

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 06:41:33 pm »
Thanks for the Info I will look at that this evening

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 02:59:44 am »
I tried this the other day and it worked well, however, I tried to use it tonight and the file was blank.  Could it have been overwritten by something?

On a related subject, I changed the Weather link to http://www.weather.com/weather/today/<My_Zip_Code>.  As this info is available in webadmin, I wonder if this could be generated when Sara asks for your location and then automatically synchronized if the location is changed in webadmin? 

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 04:36:49 am »
yes, it could be.

-Thom