I'm new to LinuxMCE, and quite impressed by it. I've been playing with it for about two weeks now, and I noticed some quirks. Probably because I don't understand LinuxMCE yet, but possibly caused by my tinkering.
So I wondered if anybody else noticed the same things. So here goes:
- When I log in on the core as "mhorst" (the account I used during the Ubuntu setup) and then SSH to one the media directors, I my user id suddenly becomes "sambahelper". When I try "su mhorst", I still end up in the sambahelper account.
- The sambahelper account does not seem to have sudo rights, unlike the mhorst account. Combined with the previous quirk that severely limited my ability to do anything on the media directors. My workaround is currently to enable the root account on the core, and then SSH as root to the media director.
- In the AV setup wizard I indicated the boundaries of my screen (my TV only displays 91% of the actual screen), but mythTV still tries to use the full screen. Strangely MythTV setup does seem to use the boundaries.
- The previous quirk wouldn't be much of an issues since there is a "Screen Setup Wizards" option in the "Utilities / Setup" - "Setup" menu of MythTV. Unfortunately, that wizard doesn't seem to have any effect.
- I also suspect Xine tries to use the full screen, and not the boundaries I set in the AV wizard. At least, I had to set the subtitle offset to 30, exactly the number of pixels that falls off the bottom of my TV.
- Some subtitles seem to work in Xine and some don't. Subtitles in ".srt" files work. Subtitles in ".idx"/".sub" files don't seem to work. I haven't tried any other subtitle format yet. I guess it's just a matter of setting the right values in /etc/pluto/xine.conf, but I haven't found them yet.
I'll continue to experiment to see if I can find a way around these things. But before I put too much time in them, I thought I should ask if anybody else has notices and/or solved the same things.
Oh and one I alsmost forgot:
- I use the tv_grab_nl_py script to get my TV listings. It uses a cache, which is stored in /root/.xmltv/program_cache. Somehow, during a mythfilldatabase run it doesn't have rights to modify this cache, and it fails. It is supposed to use the home directory of the user that starts it for caching, so I don't get how it is possible that it does not have the rights to remove that file. For now I have to work around this by manually running mythfilldatabase as root.