Author Topic: Ceton cableCARD tuner  (Read 24505 times)

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Ceton cableCARD tuner
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 06:34:20 pm »
Thom the comment was tongue in cheek, hence the smile.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 06:51:20 pm »
yeah, I know...

this topic is just sensitive.. it's bullshit...yes...and I fight it every chance i get....

-Thom

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 07:31:50 pm »
I agree, very much bullshit. The cable companies just laugh at the FCC. It's time for that government org to grow a pair.

dpierovich

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 08:28:38 pm »
In reading through this thread I can see some real passion on both sides of the question.  All arguments aside, there still might be a way this could be done without anyone ending up in jail ;)

I know Linux doesn’t currently support the things necessary for an acceptable DRM, but I’m fairly certain that the mods could be made to enable it.  If this were done in a way that would allow individual users to load the necessary changes (if they were willing to accept the restrictions) in order to gain the functionality desired, it should satisfy all parties.  For those who insist that Linux will never do this ... don't add the patch.  For the rest of us who see LMCE as a tool ... we would accept the restrictions if it meant we could bypass the whole Microsoft mess.  It's about having choices and that's what Linux has always been about.

At the moment LMCE doesn't really cut it with today's encrypted TV feeds because there is no support for the hardware required to make it work.
Like most people who are interested in LMCE, I'd rather use Linux for my home systems, than Windows.  At the end of the day, however, I just want a system that works.  It's a sad commentary on the state of LMCE when it takes a weak second place to a Windows solution. :P

Anyone else interested in seeing what can be done to make this work?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 09:17:43 pm »
right now, the only way to make it work, is to use a tuner device like the Hauppauge HD-PVR attached to a cable or satellite box via its Component Output.

This works already out of the box with LinuxMCE.

-Thom

dpierovich

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 01:08:53 pm »
Well I dug a little deeper on the topic of Linux drivers for the Ceton Infinitv4 Digital Cable Quad-tuner Card.  To my surprise, :o I found there is already a driver available from Ceton.  According to their tech support,
     "Linux isn't technically supported because encrypted digital cable requires PlayReady DRM
      which no operationing system has except Windows.  However, our engineers are also linux
      developers as well (Great love of linux) :)"

Ask and ye shall receive ... the driver and installation instructions are available at the Ceton site (I can't post the link ... grrrrr ) www dot cetoncorp dot com /infinitv/support/linux.php

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 04:54:10 pm »
Read closer...

From the device webpage you can tune ClearQAM channels if you know the frequency, or if you have a CableCARD you can tune CCI=0 channels by channel number.

it's an overpriced HDHomeRun. You really do not understand the mechanics of what is going on here, please actually go do some homework, and listen to those of us who have been doing this for years.

-Thom

dpierovich

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 09:23:05 pm »
Hi Thom,
I'd say the Ceton card is a bit more capable than a HDHomeRun.  It can do all the simple clearQAM the home run does, but also supports watching and theoretically recording hundreds of encrypted channels as well.  If you have 500 channels wouldn't you want to enjoy them?

So it's not a perfect solution, it's still the closest to a true working solution I've seen so far.  I've held off on LMCE for years because it just doesn't deliver on the promise of being a true media controller.  Live video feeds ARE media and without something like the Ceton card LMCE is sadly lacking in support of it.   

I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to this topic, but even I can see a better mouse trap "might" be available.  Instead of being so perpetually negative and attacking members for what they "obviously" don't know, why not try to figure out how to make it work?  If you're so smart, perhaps you should flex your mental muscles and show off that wealth of knowledge by helping me do this. 

I've read the support pages and know what's supported already.  My goal here is to work towards a better, more complete solution.  Seriously, you can do all this with Windows Media Center already ... why not Linux?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 10:02:02 pm »
hmm.

You simply do not understand how Digital Restrictions Management works (DRM).

YOU WILL NOT HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR ENCRYPTED CABLE CHANNELS WITH THIS DEVICE, UNDER LINUX! YOU CAN ONLY WATCH UNENCRYPTED CHANNELS WITH IT!

Many many many many many threads across many boards have EXPOUNDED ad nausaeum on this topic. Content providers DO NOT want desktop Linux machines access to encrypted content, they do not want Linux to have access to encrypted streams.

again, GO DO SOME HOMEWORK, or better yet. Go try for yourself, and watch what happens.

-Thom

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 10:26:03 pm »
* Lobs bricks at dpierovich's skull

It goes from God to TSCHAK, to HW development, to RIAA/MPAA, back to development, to cable, to you, to congress. This is not a congressional forum.
I never quit... I just ping out.

klanmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 11:55:48 pm »
Funny all the DRM requirements, and its gets circumvented first by the OS that has the rights.

Also look what people have to deal with, the sony fiasco, a coworker of mines is "shitting bricks" by it all.

Meldawn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 02:39:45 am »
Old post MUST live again!!

cetoncorp[DOT]com/infinitv_support/linux-drivers/

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 02:36:43 pm »
Just found out that Cincinnati Bell Fioptics has CCI set to 0 for all channels, just no VOD which I don't use anyway.. There is also a patch for Myth for the ceton. So the question becomes Is the myth code in LMCE Myth .24? If so I would imagine the patches should work. This would be awesome because I could truly finally make LMCE a whole house solution.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 02:55:46 pm »
You are one lucky #@($#@ bastard. I hate you.

-Thom

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 05:45:09 pm »
Thom I think that might be one of the nicest things you have said to anyone on these boards!  ;D

You are one lucky #@($#@ bastard. I hate you.

-Thom