Author Topic: 0810 dvd installer status  (Read 10350 times)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: 0810 dvd installer status
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 07:44:20 pm »
skeptic,

as I was the only dev who posted in this thread, this must imply, that I "browbeat" the initial poster.

I really can't see, what I did, to imply anything like that.

And, I do like the posted calculation. We will have a beta by that date. Latest. Promise! :D

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 09:47:48 pm »
Thank you.  I've thought about putting a switch and an old server on the internet side of lmce and caching there - is that how you do it?  Do you have a recipe that folks can follow?
thanks,
joseph

That's exactly what I've done.  Keep in mind that this is not supported.  It works for me and has significantly reduced bandwidth usage while speeding up installation of lmce or any ubuntu/debian based distro you use regularly.

I have an old pc I use for various purposes that sits on the internet side of the lmce core.  It's running Ubuntu 8.10 and I installed apt-cacher-ng on it using aptitude.

Code: [Select]
# aptitude install apt-cacher-ng

Then when I install lmce on my core I follow the instructions on the wiki for installing the Alpha, except that before I execute the pre-install-from-repo.sh script I make a minor modification to the pre-install-common.sh script.  The line I change is:

Code: [Select]
    echo 'Acquire::http { Proxy "http://localhost:3142"; };' > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/02proxy

I change the word localhost and put the IP of my outside server instead.  I save the modified script and proceed to run the pre-install-from-repo.sh script to begin the lmce installation.

The first time you install after performing these steps will take the same length of time it always has.  On subsequent installations any unchanged packages will be grabbed from your cache rather than the lmce repository.

90-95% of the lmce install now uses the cache on my outside server rather than the lmce repository.  All repository downloads go through the outside server and only new/changed/updated packages are fetched from the lmce repository whenever aptitude/apt-get are used.  All of my mds automatically use my outside server's repository cache as well with this method.

J.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 09:54:53 pm »
Once installed, to you point back to the main repos, or do you just update your own copy and continue to use that?

Apt-cacher-ng keeps the repositories updated automatically as machines update.

J.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 03:19:56 pm by phenigma »

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 01:07:47 am »
skeptic,

as I was the only dev who posted in this thread, this must imply, that I "browbeat" the initial poster.

I really can't see, what I did, to imply anything like that.
Actually, I don't think I said or implied any dev browbeat anyone in this thread.  If so, it was unintended.  In fact, I specifically tried to not single out any devs or the devs in general.  Just for the record I thought your posts were helpful. 

And, I do like the posted calculation. We will have a beta by that date. Latest. Promise! :D

I'm looking forward to it, whenever it comes out.

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 07:39:39 pm »
J. <phenigma>,
Thank you for the confirmation.

Two more questions if you don't mind.

1.  my understanding is that the apt-catcher server does not have to be a gateway / router.  That is, it can just sit off a switch between the internet / external firewall / router and the core / dcerouter and traffic does not have to pass through it.  Is that correct? 

2.  do you change your repo lists to point to the apt-catcher server?

thanks,
joseph

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 02:12:55 am »
J. <phenigma>,
Thank you for the confirmation.

Your welcome.

Two more questions if you don't mind.

1.  my understanding is that the apt-catcher server does not have to be a gateway / router.  That is, it can just sit off a switch between the internet / external firewall / router and the core / dcerouter and traffic does not have to pass through it.  Is that correct? 

Correct.

2.  do you change your repo lists to point to the apt-catcher server?

No repository changes.  The file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/02proxy (created during the 'pre-install-from-repo.sh' portion of the lmce install) tells aptitude where to find the cache.  The cache acts as a proxy.  Leave your sources.list file alone.

J.