Author Topic: 0810 dvd installer status  (Read 10333 times)

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
0810 dvd installer status
« on: September 11, 2009, 01:01:01 pm »
Hi all ,
please don't misconstrue this as any kind of flame bait /criticism/hurry up

BUT, given that the current download size and the time involved is quite heavy, (and screw ups necessitating reinstalls seem to be fairly common)... IF a dvd installer,  ie beta is still a fair way off (?).....
would it  not be possible to issue a 'pre beta basic install dvd iso'   ? ........so reinstalling would be so much quicker /less intimidating and more attractive for less skilled users,

thanks to all involved for the  immense effort so far,

regards,
Ian

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: 0810 dvd installer status
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 01:20:44 pm »
We will release a DVD image, once we have had the chance to test things out. And NO, we will not give out the URL to make sure our poor pipes do survive the day.  ;)

Looking at the Roadmap, I am positive that the majority of the waiting period for beta is over.

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 01:47:46 pm »
posde ,

thanks for quick response, any ball park estimate ?

;D    "Looking at the Roadmap, I am positive that the majority of the waiting period for beta is over."     ;D     

regards
Ian

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 01:56:24 pm »
Well, I think I estimated it quite nicely...

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 02:41:05 pm »
 ::)      if              http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8429.0   (27th june)  was start date for  the waiting period, and 51% is a majority, then the  implied expected  beta would appear on or around   25th november

;D  ;D

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:56:11 pm »
::)      if              http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8429.0   (27th june)  was start date for  the waiting period, and 51% is a majority, then the  implied expected  beta would appear on or around   25th november

;D  ;D

We're all excited for the beta, but I'd caution you not to put dates in the devs mouths. Keep in mind the main developer just started a new job. It is unquestionably more important that he perform well in his new job than that the beta be released by a certain date.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 05:13:33 pm »
Keep in mind the main developer just started a new job.
Thom has a new job? Fantastic news.

Actually, the thread referred to was from merkur2k and he was asking for some assistance. Given the lack of responses, I'd suggest that the clock has yet to start ticking....

Yes, we're all keen for an 810 DVD / Beta / release, but I am saddened by the number of people here who seem to expect the level of support you should be able to expect from a company where you are paying a maintenance contract! ;) We'll get it when we get it ;D Of course, the more people with skills that pitch in... I'm working on my own skillset at the moment and, as soon as I have the reources, I'll be adding my own efforts to the project.
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 05:56:16 pm »
soooo...

is there a way to download the present release and capture it on another machine locally, then use it for reinstalls ?........

regards
Ian

BTW the 3rd post was intended (note smileys) as a recognition of posde's carefull avoidance of a specific time frame, and a  ;) at     
Well, I think I estimated it quite nicely...

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 06:02:21 pm »
My comments weren't aimed directly at you, but generally at what I percieve as a growing trend of "we want it and we want it NOW". :D

The number of times I'm re-building my core, I too would LOVE a DVD or even a way of setting up a local copy of the repository.

Patience, Grasshopper...
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 06:20:53 pm »
Yes, we're all keen for an 810 DVD / Beta / release, but I am saddened by the number of people here who seem to expect the level of support you should be able to expect from a company where you are paying a maintenance contract! ;)

???

I'm saddened by the fact that anytime a non-dev posts a suggestion, request, or asks for a time estimate they get browbeat for it.  People are looking forward to 810, patiently or impatiently.  I see nothing in this thread that would lead me to believe anyone expects a commercial product level of support.

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 06:37:02 pm »
skeptic, don't take the messages to heart... We are all on the same page.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 07:08:12 pm »
skeptic, don't take the messages to heart... We are all on the same page.
I know, and I included the winking smiley in my quote which I'm guessing was meant to ease the scolding.  I just think too much scolding/*thwack*ing/browbeating/"I should _SMACK YOU HARD_"/etc. crap goes on here and the comments above prompted me to reply.  Very minor, and taken alone would be insignificant.

It would be nice if people, all people not just devs, would be more polite in their replies.  No need for insults, belittling, ranting, snide comments, etc.  I want to see LMCE thrive, not just survive, and that takes community effort.  Who knows how many people have been interested in LMCE but were driven away after a few posts or even just reading through the forum.  I realize this has been brought up before, I just wish people would take it to heart.

Sorry for taking this thread completely off topic.  I normally wouldn't reply like this but the original topic/question appears finished.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 12:05:52 am »
The number of times I'm re-building my core, I too would LOVE a DVD or even a way of setting up a local copy of the repository.

The repository can be cached .  This can be accomplished by setting up apt-cacher-ng on a seperate machine outside the lmce network.  The install script must then be altered each time a new install is attempted.

I have been doing this for a few months as I was exceeding my ISPs DL caps and needed to reduce my usage.  I now point all of my ubuntu machines to my cache.  LMCE installs are a little quicker at 100Mbs.

J.

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 06:42:57 am »
phenigma,
Thank you.  I've thought about putting a switch and an old server on the internet side of lmce and caching there - is that how you do it?  Do you have a recipe that folks can follow?
thanks,
joseph

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 09:57:25 am »
Phenigma,

I too would like to know how to do this. Once installed, to you point back to the main repos, or do you just update your own copy and continue to use that?

Thanks!
Paul