Author Topic: Regular media backup to spare disk  (Read 2022 times)

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
Regular media backup to spare disk
« on: September 08, 2009, 03:53:01 pm »
I use a core based raid 5 array (built in webadmin). I still run 7.10 and I am slightly nervous about losing my media.

I thought it might be a good idea to install a large spare sata drive (not used as a file server by lmce) and run a weekly backup. Incremental would make sense I guess if possible.

Does anyone do or recommend this? Would it be possible to automate it using scripts?
Barney

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Regular media backup to spare disk
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 08:18:08 pm »
Hi,

I'm not sure how you are setup but...

I have a NAS where my media is stored. 

I migrated from 710 to 810.  Did not lose any data but had to play around with things.

NAS is presently using LMCE directory tree but was not on 710 (all just public).

If your media is on a separate drive from the OS I wouldn't worry to much.

If you are not using LMCE directory tree do so.  810 doesn't seem to like things if it isn't.  It isn't harmed just can't find it from main menu media bar.

Cheers.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 09:35:05 pm »
I understand your nervousness, but it is really not an issue.  You will install 0810 on your system drive as normal - this is the only point where you need to be worried - just make sure you don't select one of your media drives as the system drive, and don't format the media drives with the partitioning tool.  (We all know that you can screw up one drive and rebuild it with RAID 5, so you're really even safe from this scenario - but that's no fun, so just be careful.)

Once 0810 comes up, the raid array will be detected, configured, and added to the device tree.  (In my experience, the detection of RAID arrays is now infinitely more reliable than it was in 0710.) You might need to change the PK_User setting in the web admin to use the correct directory structure (I believe it still defaults to "public"), but there really isn't any way to lose data during the process, since LinuxMCE doesn't make any changes to the data and the Kubuntu installer will only make changes if you tell it to format the drives (which you should NOT tell it to do).

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:28:13 pm »
Thanks guys. It sounds like I can relax about it.

My raid is in the core but from what you've said ... as long as I don't screw up the install my array should be re-detected. All my media is public anyway so I guess even the permissions will be ok too.

Thanks again!