Author Topic: Updgrade Problems  (Read 12943 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Updgrade Problems
« on: August 15, 2006, 02:05:58 am »
Hi,

I rebooted my core on the weekend so that it would do the updgrade to version .40. I assume that this went OK as internet access, DHCP etc all seemed to be working and Pluto Admin screen comes up showing new version. So far I have not had a chance to check any logs or anything.

The Media Directors were then rebooted and both had different behaviour.
One of them seemed to do its upgrade and then gets stuck in a cycle where it continually tries to unsuccessfully start X Windows. I ended up turning the box off.

The other one seems to be doing the upgrade process, gets all the packages. Gets to a screen where it says updgrade completed successfully - rebooting and when it reboots it then does the upgrade again. This cycle seems to continue until I also turned this box off. An error message does flash up sometime during the boot but havn't yet had a chance to look at either box in depth.

My question at this stage then is (until I investigate the machines further) - Has anyone else done a successful upgrade. Did all MDs work? Is there some known issues with the upgrade? Beyond the normal pluto logs where should I look for more information?

Obviously I need extra information to resolve the specific problems but I thought I would just see how others have gone before I invest too much time in this.

regards
Darren

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Updgrade Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 11:59:05 am »
For the other users, things seem to have gone pretty well regarding the upgrade, with some database issues for someone.

The Pluto logs are the only place you can find useful information regarding the upgrade. Note that each machine has its own logs in /home/diskless/<deviceID>/var/log/pluto/, independent from the Core's logs.

Can you activate Remote Assistance so I can get into your system and see what went wrong, please?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Updgrade Problems
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 01:38:17 pm »
here is the AVWizard.log from the MD that keeps cycling through X Server starts....

Running Wizard from step '1'
1       08/13/06 12:23:22       /usr/pluto/bin/Start_X.sh (server)      ^[[1;00mStarting X server (client: /usr/pluto/bin/AVWizard; parms: -step 1)^[[1;00m

X: warning; process set to priority -1 instead of requested priority 0

X Window System Version 7.0.0
Release Date: 21 December 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.15-pluto-2-686 i686
Current Operating System: Linux moon28 2.6.16.20-pluto-1-686 #1 Wed Jun 14 12:08:23 EDT 2006 i686
Build Date: 16 March 2006
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Sun Aug 13 12:23:22 2006
(++) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.avwizard"
Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb'
(EE) Failed to load module "speedo" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":1.0"^M
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.^M
Wizard exited with code: 1

The pluto.log doesn't seem to have much other than 'Starting X Server' messages every 10 seconds or so.

This any help?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Updgrade Problems
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 02:33:21 pm »
Looks like some packages failed to install:

Quote from: "darrenmason"
(EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module does not exist, 0)

This log can't tell me why these fail to install.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Updgrade Problems
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 01:55:34 am »
Hi,

The modules don't exist. There is no .so files in the expected directory that match those names.
Is this important, ie: is that a Fatal error and the reason for X Windows not starting?

I have never heard of this AvWizard thing. I assume that it is either part of Pluto (new to .40?) or part of XOrg setup.

Should I attempt to find and install these missing modules? How do I do that?

What about the line 'Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb' '
Is this important. That directory mentioned does not exist, so I RGB_DB would create itself, but no luck.

Is there a setup that I can re-run or set some DB flag so it reruns?

I am not sure that remote assistance will work, last time I tried it, it got nowhere. It will definately need to be on a different port as all port 80 access is blocked by my ISP, due to some 'no servers' rule. Please advise me what the next step should be. I will learn a little bit more about XOrg but my time is quite limited at the moment.

regards
Darren

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Updgrade Problems
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 12:24:11 pm »
Hi,

The modules don't exist. There is no .so files in the expected directory that match those names.
Is this important, ie: is that a Fatal error and the reason for X Windows not starting?

try this:
Code: [Select]

chroot /home/diskless/<MD_Device_ID> dpkg -l | egrep -v '^ii|^un|^rc'

and see how many broken packages do you have

I have never heard of this AvWizard thing. I assume that it is either part of Pluto (new to .40?) or part of XOrg setup.

It's part of .40

Should I attempt to find and install these missing modules? How do I do that?

You can try to chroot into the MDs filesystem and run "apt-get -f install" and similar and see what errors do you get.

What about the line 'Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb' '
Is this important. That directory mentioned does not exist, so I RGB_DB would create itself, but no luck.

This is not important.

Is there a setup that I can re-run or set some DB flag so it reruns?

In the media directors web page, there's a button called "Rebuild image" for each Media Director. If the chroot and everything else fails, you can use this button to rebuild the Media Director filesystem from scratch and re-install the MD.

Please also run the "dpkg -l | egrep '^ii|^rc|^un' " command on your Core and see if you have any broken packages there.

I am not sure that remote assistance will work, last time I tried it, it got nowhere. It will definately need to be on a different port as all port 80 access is blocked by my ISP, due to some 'no servers' rule.

Remote assistance has an option to use port 22 instead of 80. You could also try that.

Please advise me what the next step should be. I will learn a little bit more about XOrg but my time is quite limited at the moment.

regards
Darren

Try the things I named above, and let me know what result do you get.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Updgrade Problems
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 03:08:30 am »
Quote from: "radu.c"

try this:
Code: [Select]

chroot /home/diskless/<MD_Device_ID> dpkg -l | egrep -v '^ii|^un|^rc'

and see how many broken packages do you have

Nothing showed up as broken.

You can try to chroot into the MDs filesystem and run "apt-get -f install" and similar and see what errors do you get.

No errors.

In the media directors web page, there's a button called "Rebuild image" for each Media Director. If the chroot and everything else fails, you can use this button to rebuild the Media Director filesystem from scratch and re-install the MD.

Will this mean that I have to build the drivers for the webcam again? The reason I ask is that this was quite a time consuming problem. It looks like I don't have much option though.

Please also run the "dpkg -l | egrep '^ii|^rc|^un' " command on your Core and see if you have any broken packages there.

Didn't seem to be any problems there either.

I will have a bit more of a play around and also see if I can get remote assistance to work.

Regards
Darren

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Updgrade Problems
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 03:16:43 pm »

Will this mean that I have to build the drivers for the webcam again? The reason I ask is that this was quite a time consuming problem. It looks like I don't have much option though.

What webcam drivers would those be? If you mean "pwc" (as tinia also has), those drivers are included with Pluto 2.0.0.40.

I will have a bit more of a play around and also see if I can get remote assistance to work.

Please let me know if you get it to work. Remote Assistance should bypass any "no servers" rule, because it connects from your machine to ours, and not the other way around. I then connect to your machine through a tunnel with one endpoint in our server, bypassing your provider's firewall, if it filters SYN requests.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Updgrade Problems
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 07:16:40 am »
The webcam is just one of the logitech usb types. I can't even remember what the driver was, I would have to look around. Just remember that I had to get the kernel source and headers to build the driver and play round with modprobes and stuff.

I really should have taken notes :(

I havn't really been at home for the last few days or when I have been I have had other stuff to do so havn't progressed at all yet.
Hopefully within the next two nights will try again, may just build the MD again and see if it picks up the webcam - at the moment its more important to get the media playing in that room rather than the web cam anyway.

Remote access should be OK as I can now access my pluto admin from external - it will just need to be on another port. Will email you details if I still need you.

I might rebuild the other MD first and see how that goes as that has less peripherals on it.

Thanks and I will let you know when I have done more.

Regards
Darren

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Updgrade Problems
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 08:02:12 pm »
Hi Darren

You are not alone. There are definately some problems with the xorg migration.  I had the same issues and gave up trying to fix the upgrade. I then downloaded the new iso's and installed from scratch. The core is u and running and reveals no problem with packages

dpkg -l | egrep -v '^ii|^un|^rc'
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                                  Version                        Description
+++-=====================================-==============================-============================================

the md is fine to

chroot /home/diskless/51 dpkg -l | egrep -v '^ii|^un|^rc'         Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                                  Version                        Description
+++-=====================================-==============================-============================================

I have 2 MD both msi boxen with intel graphics

chroot /home/diskless/51                                          pluto:/# lspci
pcilib: Cannot open /sys/bus/pci/devices
pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82865G Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Bridge (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) Ultra ATA 100 Storage Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB (ICH5) Serial ATA 150 Storage Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
0000:01:02.0 Communication controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Tiger3XX Modem/ISDN interface
0000:01:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
0000:01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 01)

i managed to egt one bex running by killing the avwizard script and changing the i810 driver to vesa in the xorg.conf after a reboot all this went down the toilet and I am once again with "pluto"  :?

I would be happy to enable remote assistance as I have my whole family here this weekend and not music, videos.

Regards
Dean

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Updgrade Problems
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 09:03:10 am »
I just realized i posted an lspci from my core not the md here it is

moon87:~# lspci
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82865G Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02)
0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Bridge (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) Ultra ATA 100 Storage Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
0000:01:02.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15 MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
0000:01:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 80)
0000:01:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

I think the problem is that AVWizard is not picking up if if it is failing and setting the card to vesa just to get things up and running. I tried installing 5 different pci graphics vards (sis 6326 , S3 trio etc) none of these worked and most times the md just stopped loading modules. I have figured out that by kiling the avwizard and setting the graphics drievr to vesa and then running startx & i still get warnings but the interface comes up. Obviously rebooting is not recomended as the avwizard script detecs that it never completed and it starts ove.

Any insight would be most welcome

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Update
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 02:43:09 am »
Bit of an update... Still havn't had much time to messa around so I pressed the rebuild image button for the MD and let it install itself again.

Didn't watch too closely, but when I came back the AVWizard was waiting for me. Struggled with this for a bit as it would not let me proceed if I selected any of the 16:9 settings (which I want). The screen comes back and looks fine so I tell it to continue and it just keeps coming back to the same screen. Eventually it continued when I selected a more standard resolution (which is 4:3). Will try and change it back later as it is a widescreen display.

After the reboot I got the orbiter display so I guess that is basically a step forward, it was not really a successful upgrade though. The remote control seems to work the same as it did before (which currently means using setserial to free the port and modprobing the serial module).
Webcam is not working but havn't looked into this in any detail. From what I can gather this camera should work with the PWC driver.

Another seperate question, although sort of related, should the MD have any swap space? I noticed that it hasn't and I couldn't remember if it used to. I guess with network mounted drives it is probably not that good performance wise. But the machine seems to be memory bound when I tried to watch TV on it (server on the core). It didn't seem to be that bad before, the X Windows stuff seems to be taking up more memory now.

Dean, can't really help with your problem but I would guess that there is some flag/file that causes AVWizard to run and there should be a way to stop it.