Author Topic: Solved - This orbiter will be closed message.  (Read 19916 times)

infoteksec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Not Resolved - This orbiter will be closed message.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 08:51:47 am »
Saying this is RESOLVED is like saying "My car now works because I've bought another one" rather than repairing the tyre puncture.

LMCE is big, very big - Huge. I think quality control is taking second place to getting new features out. Since there are so many components, changes are being made asynchronously without proper testing.

Its not the first time that an ungrade  has resulted in installations getting crippled. The upgrade should have been withdrawn promptly rather than let others suffer.

Peter

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Resolved - This orbiter will be closed message.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 12:33:24 pm »

It's rather easy to say these things, when you're the user, and not the one developing the software.

I'm very tired of comments like these, especially when you refuse to take into account that _THESE CURRENT RELEASES ARE ALPHA_

Expect stuff to break,

When we can fix it, we will, but we have to keep moving forward.

Regression testing has been a huge issue, and was not implemented at Pluto at all, I have spent _YEARS_ figuring out how to graft on unit testing to the system to the system, and when I can, I will...

Until then,
Yes, stuff will break, these are the development versions, live with it, and stop complaining and help us debug the problem.

-Thom

infoteksec

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 01:16:52 pm »
.... and I am in awe of the work that has been done.

Nevertheless, when you are told not to install the DVD of version 7.whatever and install the version based on 8.whatever instead you really are stuck with whatever gets dished out.

If releases are discovered to be a retrograde step you really should withdraw it and justify if only to yourself that the change is justified.

I'd love to help fix things -however, though I've been in software engineering for over 40-years having developed systems for some of the first 8-bit micros I have also worked in Release Engineering for DEC as was but have little experience in the Linux space.

Regards

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 02:42:35 pm »
as an aside, i also go all the way back to the 8-bit micro space, my first personal computer being a TRS-80 Model I (although most of my code was for 6502 based micros, mostly the Atari 800)

-Thom

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 06:39:53 pm »
as an aside, i also go all the way back to the 8-bit micro space, my first personal computer being a TRS-80 Model I (although most of my code was for 6502 based micros, mostly the Atari 800)

-Thom

I understand your pain and agree, It's Alpha!

Thom, I'm living with this for now rather than reinstalling because I don't use my core as an MD. 

Can I stop/kill the MD on the Core/Hybrid after the core reboots which will also of course, kill the orbiter, with a command from the terminal?

Thanks,
Charles

P.S. Check your spam filter for a personal email I sent you about some plans I have for the WebDT 366 Orbiter.

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 02:17:01 pm »
I have just installed fresh 8.10 and it was working fine until the update.
Now I am facing the same problem.
It took me a night to install the system, is there any other way to solve the problem rather than reinstalling ?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 02:40:28 pm »
It took me a night to install the system, is there any other way to solve the problem rather than reinstalling ?

We are working on the problem. And the fix will work without you having to reinstall

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 07:46:49 pm »
Thank you for your prompt reply. I guess i shall wait.

rages

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 04:23:29 pm »
Hi,

I have the same problem, my installation is updated to the latest alpha, no news on this?

tnx for your work

Emanuele

felpouse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 06:01:33 pm »
Hi Emanuele,

actually I think they are still working on it.

Also me, I have the latest version installed, but sometime still happen.
The only think to do, is to kill the PID related to the orbiter and wait for the restart process and all will go well.

Regards

Luke

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 08:36:16 pm »
Hi,

A quick workaround is...

When you get the "Grey Screen" wait about 20-30 seconds, then press left mouse button, right mouse button, left mouse button.

The main menu will return.  Then go to Advanced>Quick Regen this Orbiter.

The screens will be regenerated with flickr screens.

If dcerouter is regenerated the same thing (grey screen) will happen again.

It still happens if you update to alpha 2.36.

I did not have this problem on a clean install (from scratch).

shakeel

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 04:48:43 am »
Pigdog's workaround works for me.  I refuse to rebuild the system from scratch like some of the previous postings suggest.  My music, DVDs, Games and other settings are all configured on this system and to rebuild would take days (I haven't separated my core from the media director yet).  So even if it is a work around it is better than a rebuild.  I love Linuxmce so please fix this issue when you have a chance.  Keep up the good work.  I think this issue started about a month ago for me with one of the updates. 

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 04:54:32 am »
The issue has been resolved in the latest updates. But it is worth noting that even if you did a reinstall, your media metadata is stored alongside your media files, and is separate from the core database, so these things would be preserved. You can also use the backup and restore feature to keep device settings.

-Thom

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 05:38:36 am »
The issue has been resolved in the latest updates. But it is worth noting that even if you did a reinstall, your media metadata is stored alongside your media files, and is separate from the core database, so these things would be preserved. You can also use the backup and restore feature to keep device settings.

-Thom

Thom, Which latest updates?  Something coming after Alpha2.36?  I'm on 2.36 and I still have the annoying problem on the Core.

Charles

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 10:51:55 pm »
I can confirm that this is still happening on Alpha 2.36.

Thom, the issue with m_bMediaRunning not being set false, unless the core is running (http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8881.msg60630#msg60630,) still exists.  Nothing in SVN has changed which would rectify the issue.  I don't have a build environment yet so I can not provide a direct patch.  I intend to get on irc and request some assistance with the build environment but I've been away and havn't had a chance yet.

I believe that adding the line:

Code: [Select]
        m_bMediaRunning = false;

to LM::LM() in LM.cpp [line 70-83] will fix the problem.

J.