Author Topic: Problems on every installation attempt...  (Read 3884 times)

Silverskull

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Problems on every installation attempt...
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:06:38 pm »
Alright, so let me get this out of the way.  I'm a LinuxMCE newb, and I don't know my way around the Linux command line.  When I don't have to resort to the command line, I can do fine.  Alright, so I can do basic stuff with the command line, which is what the installation of LinuxMCE 8.10 appears to be.  The problem is... I just can't get it working.

My first attempt yesterday was in a VirtualBox VM. I got it up and running, but the networking didn't work and it was just too slow to be used as my Core (which I completely expected).  The second install was on a new partition on my new hard drive.  I got this up and running as well, but the first time I rebooted it after I got LinuxMCE set up it hung at "Installnewdevice is running".

My third attempt was the one I have now.  I installed the Nvidia restricted driver (177) because it was a pain going through the AVwizard without it (none of the resolutions that were available actually worked well), but the installation appeared to fail (core system could not be installed or something).  I didn't really expect it to boot, and, well... it didn't.  It stopped the NTP server, started it, and hung there.

So what am I doing wrong here?  If anyone could help out, that would be greatly appreciated.  If I install the Nvidia driver before the installation, will it work?  I really don't want to go through that AVwizard again without it, but if I must...

Also, how much is being downloaded for each of these attempts?  I think I've been getting close to Comcast's 250 GB download cap with all the downloading I've done this month... and I really don't want to go over.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 10:08:54 pm by Silverskull »

PeterSchmid

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Problems on every installation attempt...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 10:17:20 pm »
for the core you can install nvidia upfront - at  least for me it worked.

what kind of network setup do u use?
2 NICs as recommended?

Silverskull

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 10:34:25 pm »
Yep, I've got 2 NICs , but the second one's not connected to anything right now.  I honestly just want to get this up and running as a Hybrid Core/MD first.

EDIT: This next install looks very promising, but I'll need help to prevent the "Installnewdevice is running" hang problem.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:15:52 am by Silverskull »

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 12:25:40 am »
how long have you wanted when it appeared to be hung? theres alot going on that doesnt always give feedback, so just be patient.

Silverskull

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 12:53:06 am »
Er, well... I left it on overnight yesterday.  And with the install before that, I left it there for a good 45 minutes to an hour.

EDIT: Alright, it appears I have a working core this time. I don't really know how, but it worked... and I'm not going to question it.  Now I just need to get some Media Directors set up.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 04:04:56 am by Silverskull »