Author Topic: Samba or NFS help,... probably asked a millions times, but I can't find it...  (Read 4063 times)

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
I recently updated my Core/hybrid to LMCE 8.10,... and I am having a problem accessing a USB attached external storage drive via Ubuntu Jaunty PCs attached (via Ethernet) to the internal network... I used to have one (my eeePC Box 202) working fairly well as a disk-less boot MD, but I just don't seem to get a proper video configuration with 8.10 that I had with 7.10.

I need 8.10's functionality as an SIS controller for z-wave, because I am getting a MCV Vera to sit as the external router (a second router will act as a wireless access point to the internal network). I need the MCV Vera, since it is just about the only way to safely & currently access external z-wave control through their free secure portal.

My hardware consists of:
Core/Hybrid --> Dell Inspirion 530 with (currently non-working) Haupaugue HVR-1600 (I have a second once I get #1 working), internal 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM, 2 Ethernet NICs (as recommended), Intel GMA950 graphics chipset.

MDs (I want them to act as external PCs accessing media through Samba or NFS);
1- eeePC Box 202 attached to a multimedia system through optical sound out and a Sanyo 42" LCD through DVI to VGA adapter... (runs Jaunty,... very WELL, I might add)
2- Dell Studio Hybrid attached to a 36" Sanyo LCD through DVI to HDMI adapter, sound is conventional stereo audio. (also runs Jaunty, not as well as the eeeBox, despite the same graphics chips)
3- Desktop PC in my office --> (another) Dell Inspirion 530 with nVidia graphics and 2 GB RAM, widescreen DVI 19" monitor.
4- 2 Neuros OSDs connected to TVs through their composite output. (capable of accessing SMB shares, if I could get that configured, but couldn't act as a disk-less MD)

Orbiters (or potential Orbiters)
1- Pepperpad 3 (if I could get it working 100% again)
2- 2 Archos 604 Wifis
3- Asus eeePC netbook
4- Viliv S5 MID (if I can get the touch screen, wifi and bluetooth working in Jaunty).
5- 2 older Dell laptops
6- 2 Palms (Palm TX and a Palm T3).

Getting -->
1- MCV Vera & z-wave devices to control lights and Garage doors, initially, then sky's the limit
2- Nokia N900 as phone/Orbiter (busted my N800,...Damn! I loved that machine!)
3- Maybe a temporary Haupaugue card that's a little older until I figure out HVR-1600 support.

So,... How does one configure Samba and/or NFS shares to be able to show up on the Jaunty machines, internal web based Orbiters, and firmware controlled devices like the Neuros OSDs???? Sometimes I can see the directories on the Core,... sometimes I get errors trying to connect... However DHCP works fine...

See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Been 4 days,... bump... Anyone??? Bueller??? Anyone??? Bueller???
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

Kooma

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Sorry for not replying your question, instead curious and need to ask one: how come MCV Vera, why not let the core take care of Z-wave units also?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
I don't really even understand the question - are these MDs or are they running Jaunty? They can't really be both....

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Sorry for not replying your question, instead curious and need to ask one: how come MCV Vera, why not let the core take care of Z-wave units also?

1 main reason; LinuxMCE currently has no free secure remote portal for accessing the system, especially without a static IP.... MCV Does have a secure web portal for the Vera that is free, and LMCE can be an SIS controller and co-exist...

I don't really even understand the question - are these MDs or are they running Jaunty? They can't really be both....

My original intent was to run them as disk-less MDs... But I have a handful of reasons for them NOT to be set up that way...
1 - The driver configuration and support in LinuxMCE for the video and audio is lacking for both the eeePC Box 202 and even more so the Dell Studio Hybrid in comparison to Jaunty (Jaunty "just works'). Argue if you like, but I've been exclusively Linux at home for 8+ years, and configuring Video drivers in LMCE makes me feel like I'm back with SuSE 6.1...
2 - The interface for LinuxMCE is too complicated for my wife (and kids when they are old enough). I've researched the alternatives and prefer Elisa (or even the successor, Moovida) to UI1 or U12, for ease, simplicity and functionality...
3 -  I can use a web orbiter on the eeeBox and Studio Hybrid, and get all the more complicated home control stuff that way.
4 - We use Skype, because we have family that also use it, as opposed to using something like Ekiga or any of the other asterisk based video VOIP clients. &
5 - I have 2 Neuros OSD units (not OSD2s, by the way) and want them to be able to access the content on the system for playback. They are perfect for older, smaller TVs. They also cannot be booted as disk-less MDs.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
OK, you seem to be saying that LMCE is too complicated, you don't want to use MDs and the VoIP isn't what you want to use....

is this thread about LMCE in any way? You seem to be asking questions about Jaunty (nothing to do with LMCE) and not using LMCE but still wanting to use Orbiters, and setting up your own media system, VoIP, SAMBA and NFS shares and not using LMCE's systems for these at all.

The only area that I can see at all that is possibly related to LMCE, is Home Automation. Whilst it is misguided to try to splice your replacement pieces over the top of LMCE for the bits you don't like just to use the one bit you do (there are probably easier ways of achieving this by ditching LMCE altogether), I am happy to watch that discussion develop. However, continuing down a thread of discussing media, media stations, networking and shares completely unrelated to LMCE is not something these forums are intended for. These are general Linux and networking issues, and are better addressed in other forums. Please keep this discussion restricted to issues related to LMCE only.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
What I am asking is how to get samba shares served by the core to be accessible to PCs connected to the internal network... the files, access to network printing, etc. The network server runs on the core... If I set it up with the advice I get from somewhere else,... it might break CORE functionality... I fail to see how this is not LinuxMCE related...

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
I didn't read the entire thread, but if your core and network are setup as they should be, it should "just work".  On XP I can just click to it from explorer, but on Windows 7 I apparently need to type \\192.168.80.1 in the location box to bring it up.  Login/password are whatever you setup your LMCE user(s) as.

I have not tried printing, but since I prefer to rip my DVDs on my desktop when I rip them in Windows I simply drag and drop them to my LMCE Core.  No additional LMCE setup needed.