Author Topic: MP4 files  (Read 5328 times)

ivar67

• View Profile
MP4 files
« on: September 01, 2009, 04:21:47 pm »
Hello, I'm new to the website "as a member". I've frequented this forum, on numerous occasions, for help in tweaking my Linux MCE 7.10 install. So far it's been great except for the fact that I have a hauppauge 2250 HD PVR. Not a big deal, and when a stable version of 8.10 comes out, I will happily load it. My concern is is this. I have a Blu Ray movie in MP4 format. the picture quality is great, but I get no sound whatsoever. I've looked at the forums to see if there is a resolution to this, but, i haven't been successful so far. Also, I have videos of tv shows and would like to watch one right after the other without having to go through the play list every time.

Any answers to these two questions or links that would help me out will be most appreciated.

thanks

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: MP4 files
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 11:07:08 pm »
mp4 is the container - I have no issues playing mp4 files - can you determine what audio codec is being used inside the container? (open it using VLC and then go to the menu and choose codec information)

For TV shows, have you created a playlist and added the shows in order, then save the playlist? You can then choose the play list and it will play them in order. Alternatively, if you have all the shows in a single folder, you can choose Play All - as long as the files are alphabetical...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:08:47 pm by colinjones »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 03:38:45 am »
Also when media is properly tagged, you can filter by that tag (tv show title for example) and tap Play All. Why does nobody ever mention this? :)

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 04:24:23 am »
i was going to, thom, but I thought, no, KISS under the circumstances .... if he knew about tagging then this should be self evident as soon as he uses the Play All feature, if he didn't know about tagging then it would probably have just confused matters :)

(I use Play All with attributes quite frequently!)

ivar67

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 08:40:46 pm »
Guys thanks so much for the information.

Colin, I'm going to try it in VLC Player and find out what the codecs are and let you know what they are.

Thom, that is very cool I'm going to try that out tonite.

ivar67

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 03:08:17 pm »
Colin, I sent you a PM about the codec, but, I figured that I would post it out here so that other members could see the information as well. The audio codec is "mp4a"

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 08:10:25 pm »
Does the video play with sound through VLC?  Does LinuxMCE play other media with sound?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 11:57:09 pm »
For the record I can play (on 0710) an mp4 file that uses the mp4a audio codec with no issue....

ivar67

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 04:33:37 pm »
Enigmus: I tried the movie in VLC player for Windows and not on my linux machine, I guess I should have tried that first, yes all of my other movies work just fine in L-MCE.

Colin: well damn then...Thanks, it's just got to be something real simple, I will try VLC on my on MCE box tonite.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 05:04:23 pm »
Playing mp4 files with VLC under LMCE (KDE) - no sound, can not even select audio device.
Trying with kaffeine gets the message: Loading of player part "XinePart" failed. (Details: All Audio Drivers failed to initialize!)
Trying to play the mp4 file on MD (Hybrid) Media -> Video - nothing happens.