Author Topic: Nvidia motherboard  (Read 4302 times)

tjadhav

• View Profile
Nvidia motherboard
« on: August 31, 2009, 04:57:32 pm »
Hello all,
Recently took a plunge in Linuxmce. Ordered a barebone pc, order was suppossed to be shipped with a pc-chips mobo with nvidia onboard video card. Got the pc, but they switched the motherboard with an Asus p5kpl-cm mobo. This mobo has an Intel gm3100 on-board video card. My question is, should I return this pc and get the mobo with an nvidia vga chipset like they advertised or can I just buy a pci-16x nvidia card and not use the onboard intel card? Would stability be affected in any way if I go with the latter. I dont want to go through the hassle of returning as online returns take a long time.

Tushar

JDFire

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Nvidia motherboard
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:02:59 pm »
I am not sure on stability issues but I would say that I would return it as you didn't get what you paid for. And you shouldn't buy something else to get what you wanted (and paid for) in the first place. Just my 2 cents.

tjadhav

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 06:35:13 pm »
Thanks JDFire. I agree with you. Now on to the long phone call and return hassles. Sometimes I dont like online shopping.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 07:31:05 pm »
if it comes down to it, there is no reason why you cant throw in a pcie card. it will run just like an embedded one.

tjadhav

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:05:33 pm »
thanks Merkur2k.

JDFire

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:12:11 pm »
NP tjadhav, just trying to help :). If you don't mind me asking who did you buy it from?

tjadhav

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 06:42:40 am »
Got it from TigerDirect USA. Actually I had to call Visionman support. They acknowledge the mistake and are sending me a new zotac mobo without me having to return the Asus mobo. I have an nvidia pcx graphics card. Dont know how to make that the primary on a mobo. Tried a few settings in the bios. Nothing worked. Do you have any suggestions JDFire?

JDFire

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 10:43:12 pm »
There might be a jumper that needs to be set. But most BIOS now a days if they have an on-board video card should have an option to make the Video Card disabled so you can install the other card. That is cool that they are sending you another motherboard, nice job :). So you got 2 motherboards in 1  NICE!!! It pays to make sure you get what you pay for :)