I'm having issues with some lights that have been working without issue no longer working while others still work fine. I have tried deleting the devices and adding them back again with varied results. Some of them started working again, others did not. In the web admin I tried to follow the log to get some more information to determine whether the issue is in my X10 installation or if I am having a problem sending messages to the devices. I'm leaning towards noise on my lines, but I'd like to rule out that messages may not even be getting sent to the devices before going down that tedious path.
Following the log I can't see any messages sent to any of the devices so I think I'm looking in the wrong place as I'm not seeing messages for the lights that are working either.