Author Topic: Question: How to upgrade nvidia drivers after 0810 install  (Read 2285 times)

canukguy1974

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Question: How to upgrade nvidia drivers after 0810 install
« on: August 29, 2009, 01:17:31 pm »
 I currently am running 0810 and recently upgraded to alpha2. I have nvidia version 180.11  and I need to upgrade to 180.60 and alsa 1.20. I am having a hard time trying to shutdown linuxmce on the core/md (I think thats what its called) I have only 1 pc. I issue command in terminal in KDE Desktop "telinit 1" (I have tried all of them but 0 and 6) I get a garbled screen and no network so I can't even ssh into the box. I need to shutdown the program so I can run the nvidia installer.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Question: How to upgrade nvidia drivers after 0810 install
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:59:13 pm »
You need to connect a keyboard directly to your core, not try to ssh into the core remotely as there is no networking in runlevel 1 or recovery mode. Now reboot your core - when the GRUB boot menu comes up, hit ESC and choose the recovery console.

This will give you a terminal at runlevel 1 so you can install the drivers - obviously, make sure you have downloaded the drivers somewhere local before doing this!

Now follow the instructions on the wiki in the Display Drivers article. But essentially you just run the nVidia .run file and follow the instructions.