Author Topic: How should I upgrade from 710 to 810?  (Read 2062 times)

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
How should I upgrade from 710 to 810?
« on: August 27, 2009, 05:58:29 am »
Hi--

Another question for you forum veterans.  So far you have helped me set up my network successfully and my NVidia card so that I can run the highest level GUI.  You've also given me invaluable advice on many other topics via previous posts.  First of all, thank you so much for all the help.

Now for the question:
I installed LMCE 710 64 bit for AMD figuring that it was the best option for my hardware (AMD 64 bit processor, GeForce 9400, etc).    Last night, Thom said the following:

"It is worth noting to _PLEASE_ use the Alpha if you can. We can not support 0710 any more, and you'll have better luck with your hardware combo generally if you do.

People get flummoxed with LinuxMCE over two sticking points:

* They don't use an NVIDIA card
* They don't put two network cards in and let it be the center of the house.

If you do those things, setup is smooth, I promise.

-Thom"

So whats the best way to do this?  I'd really love to not have to reinstall the OS, though I can if need be.  I dont care 64 or 32 bit at this point.  Please give me some more of your magical advice!  I'm a complete linux newbie but am learning on the fly and loving it.

Thanks again,
Matt

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
Re: How should I upgrade from 710 to 810?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 06:28:54 am »
Everything you need to know is right here:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/LinuxMCE-0810_alpha2

it is 32 bit only but we are told in 0710 there is no performance increase by using the 64 bit version and it may be less supported.

Good luck, I am still running 0710 only because I would have to pry the remote out of the better looking half of my household's hand before I am allowed to take away LMCE from her.  I will upgrade soon Thom, I promise!!

Techstyle

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: How should I upgrade from 710 to 810?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 05:21:57 pm »
I'm running 32-bit 0810 on AMD64 chip - it works great.  I'm actually noticing significant performance improvements over 0710 64-bit since the hardware I have is now better supported.  0810 is quite stable right now, and has plenty of new features that make the long installation process completely worthwhile (DVD install isn't quite ready yet).

There is no upgrade route from 0710 to 0810 that would not require a reinstall, and I personally don't expect to see one (not sure of the official plan).  There were significant changes to how things are installed and managed.  These changes make it much easier to update in the future, however.