Author Topic: New to LMCE and curious about what hardware to use as far as input/output device  (Read 3219 times)

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Okay, so I've been posting a lot of questions, hopefully not too many.

I have a LMCE hybrid setup to take to school next year and Im curious about what I should use to "talk" to my stereo (does not have RS 232 or the equivalent).  I dont quite understand what a USB UIRT is.  I also need a remote control for the system since a wired keyboard/mouse isnt probably the most efficient setup to use.  Recommendations please?  What have you guys used that work well?  Ill eventually want to control a 5.1 audio reciever but that will probably not have RS 232 either.  Im on a pretty limited budget (would love to keep all of this under 100 or so if possible--ive already spent too much on the computer hardware).

--Matt

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Hello, welcome.

The USB UIRT is one of the best supported IR Transcievers for LinuxMCE. Other examples include:

* IRTrans USB and Ethernet
* GC-100
* Tira

You attach emitters to the back of the unit (how many, depends on how many devices you wish to control. If you wish to control more than 2 devices, you will need a Xantech connector block, which typically expands this up to 8 devices). IR devices that are also within the line of sight of the transciever can also be controlled via the front of the unit.

Once you have it connected, you can learn the remote controls of your various A/V gear with the UIRT, and place those codes into device templates for your devices. Once this is done, you can use the Setup Wizard to connect them together (your VCR is in input 1, your PC is in input 2, both of those go to input 1 and 2 on the amplifier, etc..etc..etc), and then LMCE can control them.

As for control devices, there are a lot of possibilities:

* Standard MCE remote. The lowest of the totem pole. Works, but no special features.
* a Gyration 3101 or Gyration Go Mouse.
* A tablet, laptop, or workstation running the Orbiter software. This is the most flexible option, as Orbiter is the software that runs on virtually all intelligent displays within the system. Contact tkmedia here in the forums for an inexpensive tablet that can run the orbiter software. (aka PadOrbiter)
* A Windows PDA running the Orbiter Software (wifi)
* A Windows Smartphone running the Mobile Orbiter software (bluetooth)
* A Symbian Series 60 v2 or v3 phone running the Mobile Orbiter software (bluetooth)
* A Cisco 7970 IP phone (we have an orbiter that runs on its display)
* Any generic web browser based device.

With the orbiter, you have access to virtually every aspect of house functions, and you can have as many of the running orbiter instances in the house as needed.

Watch my youtube videos to see what is possible.

Welcome.

-Thom

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Okay, so here's a question--

I have an old Dell Axim X30 that runs Windows CE and has bluetooth.  Can I use that as an orbiter?  Im going to be on a college campus that doesnt allow students to set up their own WiFi networks which broadcast the schools (for obvious reasons) so WiFi isnt an option but bluetooth is.

--Matt

P.S. these forums are EXTREMELY helpful.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
No. Bluetooth only works with the phone orbiters.

What you COULD DO is use a stand-alone access point, and create a wireless network without SSID broadcast, and use MAC filtering to gain access (being sure to use an unused channel)

-Thom

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
And here is where being very new at linux and networking is really going to do me in....

Okay, I'll probably go the USB UIRT route...The Go Mouse looks good too though.

--Matt

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
you should get a UIRT anyway to control your AV devices. Most people fail to understand that the raw power of the system comes from the fact that LMCE can control EVERYTHING, but you have to provide the means to do that.

-Thom

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
with the USB UIRT and a Go mouse you have blown your $100

What else are you connecting to the system (cable TV etc.) and how did you intend to do it (connect to the TV or pipe through LMCE).

Thom,

Would the dell device not work using the Window's Smartphone option via bluetooth?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
No, the required APIs won't be there.

-Thom

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
if i get the Go mouse refurbished, I could handle it.  Or I could go the cheap MCE remote route with a USB UIRT.  It looks like I'll get one of those soon.

Thanks for the help and advice!