Author Topic: Head Spinning - Looking For Best Core and MD with 8.10 Compatability  (Read 2793 times)

jeffba

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
I have many computers/parts and would like to build a robust Linux MCE.   I have read about many builds and still am not sure which way to go.  I live in the USA.
The build should be include or be able to perform the following:
    1. HD Distribution to 5 TVs (3 HD cable receivers using CAt5/HDMI conversion so 3 separate signals) (I'd imagine 5 MDs)
    2. HD Capture 2 separate HD channels simultaneously using 3 separate receivers - so I would have the ability to watch 1 and record 2 separate shows at the same time (do I need separate hard drive arrays?).
    3. Different video/audio/pictures sent to different zones at the same time.  Let's stick with 3 separate signals at the same time.(again, do I need separate hard drive arrays?)
    4. Where to connect or where do I need wires to connect a PS3 and an XBOX and move those from one zone to another.

I use a/v receivers in 2 rooms.  Have multi channel amp for 2 channel stereo for other zones.

I want the most efficient, robust build for a Core and also have reliability and robustness with the Media Directors.  What's the best Mobo, CPu, Ram, etc.......

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ckerkhoff

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Head Spinning - Looking For Best Core and MD with 8.10 Compatability
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 03:18:32 am »
I would like to point out that if you plan on playing any type of game on your PS3 or XBOX, you do not want to connect them to the LMCE system. You're better off just moving the system from room to room. Otherwise you'll see a noticeable amount of lag between button presses and responses on the screen.  If you still want them in the system you'll need some sort of capture card and I think component is the only option there(correct me if I'm wrong).

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 03:52:21 am »
you can connect the game console to an input on your TV and amp, and let LMCE switch the inputs for direct a/v control. I've done this on some installations for game machines, and it's the reason we have the np_Game media type.

-Thom

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 01:52:55 pm »
I have many computers/parts and would like to build a robust Linux MCE.   I have read about many builds and still am not sure which way to go.  I live in the USA.
The build should be include or be able to perform the following:
    1. HD Distribution to 5 TVs (3 HD cable receivers using CAt5/HDMI conversion so 3 separate signals) (I'd imagine 5 MDs)
    2. HD Capture 2 separate HD channels simultaneously using 3 separate receivers - so I would have the ability to watch 1 and record 2 separate shows at the same time (do I need separate hard drive arrays?).
    3. Different video/audio/pictures sent to different zones at the same time.  Let's stick with 3 separate signals at the same time.(again, do I need separate hard drive arrays?)
    4. Where to connect or where do I need wires to connect a PS3 and an XBOX and move those from one zone to another.

I use a/v receivers in 2 rooms.  Have multi channel amp for 2 channel stereo for other zones.

I want the most efficient, robust build for a Core and also have reliability and robustness with the Media Directors.  What's the best Mobo, CPu, Ram, etc.......

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thom is correct in his post above when he talks about how to integrate external devices like PS3's or Xbox's or any other similar device. We have numerous installations where we have done this and it works very well in such locations as a Home Cinema room where you might want to use the projection system to play Xbox games... we provide an on screen menu (ie on the MD's Orbiter UI or on a touch screen Orbiter) to allow the user to select the output of the Xbox instead of the MD. This control then sends a command to the AV Receiver to switch to the input that the Xbox is connected too (it mighht also dim the lights and lower the projectors screen for example) and you can play the game your interested in. The Xbox's controllers are directly connected to the Xbox and the video is not brought into LinuxMCE via a capture card and therefore you cannot distribute the output to other rooms around the house.

Hope the above helps.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

jeffba

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 06:43:07 pm »
thanks for the replies re: game console.  Outside of a game console, what about optimal hardware to suit my HD needs (see original post) and to be compatible with Linux MCE 8.10? 
Thanks again