Author Topic: New System Failing! Please help with network settings.  (Read 11043 times)

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New System Failing! Please help with network settings.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 04:07:20 am »
i now have Eth0, Eth1, and Eth0:avah

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 04:13:04 am »
in webadmin>Network settings hit the swap interfaces button (or swap the cables so the other NIC is plugged into the router)

reload router and power cycle the router

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 04:14:24 am »
what do you mean by reload router and powercycle the router?

I've tried swaping the interface buttons already once, but will try agian.

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 04:30:31 am »
Techstyle, will you marry me please?

This has solved my problem, though the internal network is now Eth0 (on mainboard) and the external Eth1 (pci card--now has cable from linksys router into it).  The important part is that I have an internet connection.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 04:43:12 am »
To get the external onto eth 0 swap the cables (take the cat 5 cable out of the PCI NIC plug it into the Mobo NIC) then press the 'swap interfaces' button in Webadmin --- 'Advanced > Network Settings' page.

You do know how to log into webadmin right?

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 04:52:52 am »
Okay--I might try that in a bit. And yes, I can log into webadmin.

How can I update my NVidia Drivers and the system in general?  Im really still very new to all this....Sorry!  Thanks for all the help!

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 05:12:32 am »
For the drivers:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

As for 'reload router', that is a term you will hear a lot around here.  In the Orbiter under Advanced (on both UI1 and UI2) there is a button called 'Quick Reload Router'.  it does exactly what it says, it reloads the device that routes messages through the LMCE system.

When I said power cycle the router, I was refering to the Network router/wifi access point.  this means pull the power cord out and reboot it.  My system sometimes doesn't get an IP address from my cable modem if I do not power cycle the modem.  Some are a little touchy, yours isn't judging by the fact yu didn't do it.

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 06:08:53 am »
Okay--Ive been working on the drivers, I think Ill get there by the end of tonight.  I really am not good with the Bash command line and all that bit.  I thought that reloading the router meant resetting the Linksys box--that didnt work but powercycling it did.
I guess it is finicky! 

--Matt

simon_b

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 07:12:49 am »
  im extremely frustrated with LinuxMCE and with its inability to connect. 

matt4914 ... it's not LinuxMCE, that is giving you (us) trouble... it is your (our) linux knowledge, that is giving us open questions, open issues, problems etc. - i know this from my experiences with ALL linux systems. we, "windows BABIES" do really have only small and short knowledge about the processes behind the GUI, and that's the real problem...

i've been there, i am there  ;D ;D
ex Mythtv fan, the LinuxMCE newbie
----------
hoping for the best

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 08:00:10 am »
just to flesh out this point ... Reload Router is a bit misleading.... it isn't only the DCERouter "device" that it reloads.

LMCE consists of many "DCE Devices". These are actually modules of software that run as processes under Linux, but could actually be software running on absolutely anything, as long as they can communicate using the DCE protocol. A LMCE machine (core, hybrid or MD) can and does run any number of DCE Devices.... LMCE actually isn't about the hardware, it is a network of DCE Devices (software programs) all communicating with each other through the DCE Router. These DCE Devices can be anywhere and hosted on any hardware, but obviously they are usually on Linux PCs running either as a core or MD. (an example is, Thom is currently writing a DCE device for Windows PCs so that they can collaborate with LMCE).

Plugins are much the same as DCE Devices, except instead of running as their own Linux process, they are hosted within the DCERouter device, and are usually a single instance for the whole house to perform coordinating roles. eg there are as many Xine_Player DCE Devices in your house as there are MDs, but only one Media Plugin, and that coordiates all the media being played back throughout the house by sending the appropriate media stream to the appropriate Xine_Player device.

Reloading the (DCE) Router causes the DCE Router to send the "reset" command to all DCE Devices in the system, then shutdown its own device and start back up again. Meanwhile, all the other DCE Devices' processes shutdown and restart, then attempt to reconnect to the DCE Router. The end result is reloading effectively resets all the LMCE software in the house and starts it up clean again without having to reboot all your hardware.

NB: there are one or two pieces of LMCE software that is not implemented as a DCE device, and so reloading the router will not reset those... eg UpdateMedia, StorageRadars, MySQL, etc but generally these are pretty solid and don't need resetting.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 12:15:55 pm »
It is worth noting to _PLEASE_ use the Alpha if you can. We can not support 0710 any more, and you'll have better luck with your hardware combo generally if you do.

People get flummoxed with LinuxMCE over two sticking points:

* They don't use an NVIDIA card
* They don't put two network cards in and let it be the center of the house.

If you do those things, setup is smooth, I promise.

-Thom