Author Topic: New System Failing! Please help with network settings.  (Read 11046 times)

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
New System Failing! Please help with network settings.
« on: August 23, 2009, 09:46:12 pm »
Hi.

I'm new to LMCE and am struggling to get my system up and running.  The first couple of times I started my system (After several issues with an IDE controller--thanks to LinuxQuestions.com for helping me with that) everything worked fine except that I could not get online.  I only had one NIC in at that time.  I played with the Admin page and network settings to no avail.  I then tried putting in a WiFi PCI card I had lying around.  Now, every time I start up the system, it doesnt get past the Launch Manager.
Everything started as normal up to the Launch Manager. The messages got as far as "Please be patient. This may take a while..." after the message saying that startcoreservices.sh was starting, and that is where it stopped.
It also says

Connecting to router at 127.0.0.1
initialize_LMdevice: connect failed
initialize_LMdevice: not retrying
Connecting to router at 127.0.0.1

and so on.  The screen is locked beyond moving the mouse--I cant click anything.

Please help me!

--Matt

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New System Failing! Please help with network settings.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 05:04:09 am »
You are not going to get any support if the Core doesn't meet the minimum requirement of 2 NIC's. Wireless does not meet that requirement.

gadget

simon_b

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 07:33:43 am »
Buy the second NIC and you'll be fine - these few extra €/$ make a huge difference and A LOT easier setup, trust me!  ;)
ex Mythtv fan, the LinuxMCE newbie
----------
hoping for the best

Kooma

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 07:38:05 pm »
Hi, what motherboard you're using?

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:30:51 pm »
okay SO:  I bought the second NIC card and still am having the issue.  My LMCE system wont connect to the DHCP server in my house manually or (preferably) automatically.  Ive tried static IPs and automatic settings with no success.

My motherboard is a BioStar TA790GX XE.  The NIC is a cheap Dynex one from bestbuy with a Realtek chip on it.  The system detects the card just fine but wont connect to the router/internet using either the onboard or card ethernet.  The setup is as follows:

Cable--SurfBox High Speed Modem--Linksys Wifi/LAN Router--(Cat 5)--LMCE box
                                                                -------Mac OSx10.5.4 Laptops (wired and Wifi)
                                                                -------Print Server/Printer

I also am pretty noobish as far as linux and (once Ive connected to the internet) will need help downloading updates and drivers (particularly for my NVidia 9400 GT--Ive tried advanced GUIs and they are UGLY right now.  But thats with the standard driver.  with the processor (a dual core 2.9 ghz AMD), 2 gigs of ram, and the Nvidia I should be able to run the highest settings right?)
All the other computers on the network get both wireless and wired internet (depending on if the LAN cable is plugged in)

Thanks so much!  Please give me some advice!
--Matt

simon_b

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 10:53:51 pm »
are you sure, you connected the "onboard" NIC with the router? the second (new) NIC with the Mac (or nothing) --> after that installed Kubuntu 8.10?

There has to be after install: eth0 - connected... and eth1 - disconnected (if I recall correctly)...

Bye
----------
hoping for the best

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 11:11:13 pm »
Im still using 7.10 for stability's sake.  Im not sure which card should be connecting to the external network and which should be internal.  Nothing is connected on the internal, the macs are all on the external network (for now, I'd like to keep it that way...plus, some are family machines which wont ever be connected to LMCE).

The goal is to connect the LMCE box to the external network at this point, thats all.

simon_b

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 11:16:11 pm »
Like said... connect the motherboard NIC to the router, nothing else to the second (later installed) NIC.

if you need DVD, then everything should go very smoothly
----------
hoping for the best

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 12:04:45 am »
in a terminal, type -

ifconfig -a

and paste the results here.

We need eth0 connected to your internet and eth1 to the internal network. Sometimes these get mixed up, especially if you haven't reinstalled after messing around with wifi... I suspect they are either the wrong way around or you have ended up with eth1 and eth2 instead of eth0 and eth1

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 12:19:00 am »
Ive reinstalled since messing with WiFi--I have not reinstalled since installing the second NIC.  Ive connected the motherboards NIC to the router and the new NIC (on the card) to nothing, as in instructed.  The ifconfig -a shows eth0, eth 0:0, and eth 1.  There is also lo under those.  It's impossible to paste the results below since I dont have internet on this machine...

Eth0:0 is the only NIC that has IP addresses etc.  They are as follows:

inet addr: 192.168.80.1 Bcast: 192.168.80.255 Mask 255.255.255.0

Eth0 has the following:

inet addr: fe80::230:67ff:fe07:653d/64 Scope: Link

Eth1 has no inet or mask info at all showing.

lo has
inet addr of 127.0.0.1 Mask 255.0.0.0

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 12:40:13 am »
lo is normal, it is the loopback interface, ignore it.

The fact that you have eth0 and eth0:0 is at least part of the issue. And the fact that you have the internal address assigned to it doesn't help. My first reaction would be to reinstall again as this will likely clear it up. BTW, do connect the internal interface to the switch just to make sure LMCE sees a link, leaving it disconnected later is fine if you don't want an internal network (however you do see to want one anyway!) but leaving it unconnected during installation could potentially confuse matters.

If you don't want to reinstall, then you need to start by removing the eth0:0 subinterface, you should be able to do this by,

sudo ifconfig eth0:0 down

Then run ifconfig -a again. You could then try hitting the swap interfaces button in web admin. The difficulty here is, it is difficult to tell which interface is which. I don't suppose you have any way of telling what the actual MAC address of the PCI card is? Perhaps on the supplied literature? Failing that you could install ethtool

sudo apt-get install ethtool

then

sudo ethtool -i eth0 or eth1

This should list the driver used for that interface and assuming they are different brands you can then tell physically which NIC is associated with eth0 and which with eth1, and thus which physical NIC has which actual MAC address from the ifconfig command. Once you have that, we can force the correct NIC to have the correct ethX name using udev rules.

If you can't do this, then the only other suggestion is manually swapping the cables around (after deleting the subinterface) and rebooting a few times... it may achieve the same result but is somewhat blind!

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 01:03:08 am »
just curious, wont any apt-get command fail because i dont have a connection to the internet?

i tried taking the eth 0:0 interface out via command line but whenever i update the admin website, that fails.  I'd rather not reinstall the whole OS because I already loaded most of my music/movies/etc onto the machine....if i DO go down that road, wouldnt that confuse LMCE just as much because the router I have acts as a DHCP router?  (no DHCP routers on the internal network, correct?)

the ifconfig isnt showing the mac address of the card--how do i find this on the computer?

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 01:28:54 am »
hmm also when i do ifconfig eth 0:0 down and then restart the system it appears again.  i may just do a reinstall and leave the home folder.  sounds easiest.

matt4914

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 03:32:02 am »
Okay, got some news--

i reinstalled the system and have tried both DHCP and static routing via my Linksys box, to no avail (The Static Routing worked with my macbook pro--i tested all the settings).  I have also tried plugging the LMCE box directly into my modem which also failed miserably.  im extremely frustrated with LMCE and with its inability to connect.  please help/give me ideas of things to try.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 04:03:08 am »
now you have reinstalled can you confirm you have eth 0 and eth 1 only?