Author Topic: Linuxmce chat function  (Read 5130 times)

alexvd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Linuxmce chat function
« on: July 12, 2011, 12:58:57 am »
Does linuxmce currently have a presence/chat client capability?    I have some personal experience working with xmpp.  It would be nice right from the orbiter to send to the bottom of the screen chat messages.  Or alternatively get notifications to an orbiter based on events triggered.  The have a pub/sub mechanism that works in realtime.  The military actually uses it on the battlefield because it works so well in realtime.

Jabber has an open library that is accessible to anyone for free that has a proof of concept web based client that works with ajax.  One is in development for C++  but not ready.    Basically means you dont have to be a xmpp developer to embed presence and instant messaging into your webpage or app. 

Has this been discussed before?

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Linuxmce chat function
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 03:56:12 am »
i think its been mentioned before but i cant be sure. Were you looking for approval to create it or ? Im sure the community would appreciate such a contribution!

There are also a lot more docs relating to interacting with the dcerouter / creating dce devices that are integrated into the system. Stop by irc and we can give you a complete run down!

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 04:22:11 am »
I had started scribbling notes down for something like this in hopes that somebody would do a proper DCE and not some sort of hack.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Instant_Messaging_in_LinuxMCE

-Thom

alexvd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:27:20 am »
Thom going to see if I can get some help from a colleague on this. 

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:29:22 am »
It really isn't rocket science. DCE is a messaging bus.

the UI just happens to be Orbiter.

I've made countless examples of how to make new functionality with this system, would be nice if someone else tried.

-Thom

alexvd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 12:01:19 am »
I dont have a development background but know people who do.  So I either have to A.  learn this or B. Ask for help.   Going to ask for help first.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 12:42:46 am »
I dont have a development background but know people who do.  So I either have to A.  learn this or B. Ask for help.   Going to ask for help first.

Neither did i till i just did it! Research is key, but i can tell you know: there is a hell of a lot more documented information about the process than when i started. Jump in, the waters fine :)

-golgoj4

also
read about creating a DCE device. the basics are there and you can work backwards from what you dont understand.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.