Author Topic: Web orbiter using blackberry?  (Read 4810 times)

wick956

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Web orbiter using blackberry?
« on: August 22, 2009, 07:50:39 pm »
Hi,

I have tried to use the blackberry bold as a web orbiter.  I have setup the generic web device and can access linux mce from a another computer using it, but the blackberry cant connect to it.  I have tried both the blackberry browser as well as opera mini.  Does any one know how to set this up for a blackberry to control linux mce without using bluetooth?

I have also tried to set up the wap/gprs access for the blackberry with no success by configuring the settings as described in the wiki page, but does a special type of orbiter need to be added to make it work?

Thank you

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Web orbiter using blackberry?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 01:35:38 am »
the blackberry has no access to the local network using wifi, its just how rim does it. it essentially makes a vpn tunnel back to their servers so it canot access local devices.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 02:17:16 am »
Is your core set up to be your internet gateway?

-Thom

wick956

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:59:17 am »
im not really sure, if thats how it is by default then yes, otherwise i have not set it up that way

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 04:59:55 am »
if you have 2 NICs, one of which serves your LMCE network (MDs, NASs etc) and the other is attached directly or indirectly to your broadband connection, then it is set up as your "internet gateway".

If it isn't like this.... why? It is essential for LMCE to work correctly, and you need to change it, see here http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Network_Setup

If it is like this, then you can publish the web orbiter to the Internet and browse back to it from your Blackberry... its a bit round about, but it will work.

wick956

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 06:00:54 pm »
ok, right now my router (located in another room) plugs into my core, but i will need to turn off the routers dhcp so that the core is acting as the only dhcp?  When i originally configured the core to use dynamic dns, it had the dynamic dns set to the cores local ip (assigned from the router) and not the router's external ip, so external access wouldn't work.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 10:53:22 pm »
read the link i gave you