Author Topic: vbox + lmce 0810-alpha + ui2 = working  (Read 15001 times)

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: vbox + LinuxMCE 0810-alpha + ui2 = working
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 12:29:49 am »
Does it maybe has something to do with the host hardware?
I have a 4 core, ATI 3850 1024 mb vid, and 4 gb memory, maybe the other succesfull users can share?

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 12:37:58 am »
i'm running quad core Q6600 on an gigabyte board 4G memory and a GeForce 8800 GTS with 320Mb onboard

Richard

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 04:40:10 pm »
I think i'm looking in the wrong direction here. Seems that X-server doesn't use the xorg.conf, maybe i could use hal.

I'm still looking in this issue, it would be nice to work on some gui and simple device stuff of a virtualbox LinuxMCE build and leaving the real core alone :)

Richard
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:49:24 pm by rperre »

commsbyte

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 02:18:27 pm »
Any one made any progress on this topic. I would be interested to learn how UI2 works in virtualbox.

Many Thanks

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 05:10:47 pm »
Well, somehow both Bongowongo and tkmedia get it to work. Main thing i noticed was that they do NOT use vbox additions. So just plain install of the DVD snapshot.

So try it.. make sure you have enough room (40Gb or so on the virtual disc) and set 3D acceleration to on and the video memory to 128Mb.
It might just be my setup, don't know.

I however still get the "failed to initialize OpenGL", i would still like this to work so i can do some "learning" without touching the real core in my house.

Richard

commsbyte

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 08:03:25 pm »
Hi Richard,

I hope to bring you some news. I worked out that the reason opengl does not work is because the nvidia drivers are installed with linuxmce.
I read that having the nvidia drivers installed can prevent X from working for some graphics chipsets, mine being one of them.

So I knew that my intel graphics chipset worked fine for virtualbox guest running Ubuntu 9.10 with Xserver 1.6. So short of having to to much effort I have taken a bit of a quick win approach by replacing the the symlink libglx.so pointing to the nvidia libglx.so.195.36.15
I then tested glxinfo and this indicated glx was working, so then ran AVwizard again with UI2, and it all worked perfectly fine.

replace /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so with the one from xserver 1.6 which I You can download here http://mce.commsbyte.com/index.php?option=com_joomdoc&task=doc_details&gid=30&Itemid=25

Now I wont lie to you, your opengl results in virtual guest will vary, mine seems to run nicely once i disable the screen saver, but at least I have a usable UI2 menu, granted its not native speed, but its good enough for what I wanted to do.

Please test and set to Solved if it works for you.
Regards
Jezz

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 10:13:07 pm »
i will defenitely try this and report back

Richard

commsbyte

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 10:33:51 am »
Had a bit more time to look at this, and realised the reason the UI2 is a bit slow in teh guest is because its using software rendering. You see this when you run glxinfo. Again under 9.10; Direct Rendering=YES in the guest

So I will look to see what needs to be done to get direct rendering working. Unless anyone can contribute to help resolve this?

Regards

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 11:04:01 pm »
commsbyte: it works, this is great. At least it's a work around for now.

It's a bit slow, but not looking for performance here at this point.

If you find the fix for hardware rendering, please post,

Richard

commsbyte

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 11:30:35 pm »
Your wish is my command  ;D

commsbyte

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 11:53:07 pm »

Ok so to work the rendering out, I figured that glxinfo was pointing the dri module still at the nvidia one....
Since glxinfo outpus still says:
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation

Therefore to fix this to get hardware render,
run following commands

rm /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
ln -s /usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

Let me know your result, you should pretty much be able to run this vm as a full media director now. I can hardly tell its virtual now, the only difference now is still can only get virtual stereo sound, but I can live with that. Maybe one day someone will write an audio passthru driver to utilize the audio directly.

Regards
Commsbyte
 8)

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 03:01:39 pm »
commsbyte,

This works much better, still a little laggy for me, but much better then before. I do not care about the sound either, this is just for testing stuff.

I added this to the wiki for virtualbox.

Thanks,

Richard