Author Topic: Adding a brand new hard drive  (Read 2508 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
Adding a brand new hard drive
« on: August 20, 2009, 11:03:54 pm »
I am adding a new Western didgital 1T hard drive to my core. I just took it out of the anti-static bag and installed it. Will LMCE prompt me to format this drive or do I have to on my own? I haven't been prompted to format yet so I was just wondering.
I used to use Gnome partition editor for adding my new drive partitions when using ubuntu in the past. What am I supposed to use on KDE? I noticed there was a drive manager of some kind in KDE but I was lost as to where and how to mount the drive.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Core: Broken :(

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a brand new hard drive
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 11:18:59 pm »
you will have to format it yourself. i am not familiar with kde applications either, but i have heard the name "dolphin" kicked around so maybe thats the one.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 05:03:54 am »
Hi,

You could use GParted or the command line.

Find the partition you want to format:

sudo fdisk -l (lowercase L)

For example, let's say your internal drive is showing up as sda, and the external usb as sdb, and the partition you want to format is the second one, sdb2. You could use mkfs to format as ext3:

sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb2

Or, GParted has a GUI.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:16:37 am »
please, if you can, install the xfs programs, and use xfs for your file systems. You will get significantly better performance, and especially metadata traversal from UpdateMedia.

-Thom

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 01:16:37 pm »
I went with the none of the above option. I happened to have an Ubuntu 8.04 disk so I restarted my core and booted from the live CD and  just used the Partition editor on the disk. Worked just fine. After it was done I rebooted and LMCE picked up the new drive. I then moved all my media off my OS partition since it was pretty much full and giving me those "system memory is low" notifications that are oh so awesome to see in the middle of your movie.
Everything transferred just fine. Ran a quick test this morning and the media I tested played with no problem.

Thanks to everyone for your input. When it came down to it I just had to stop being lazy and just do what I knew would work. It would be pretty cool though if there was a new disk detection tool in LMCE for disks that are not formatted that would give you an option to format the partition and optimize it for LMCE. Just a thought.
Core: Broken :(

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 06:03:55 pm »
I am thinking on how to do that.

-Thom