Author Topic: Win Orbiter IP Shortcut- "dcerouter" not ip address  (Read 4077 times)

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
Win Orbiter IP Shortcut- "dcerouter" not ip address
« on: August 20, 2009, 06:10:17 am »
This came as a duh moment for me, but others may benefit from my slowness.

I use a win orbiter on my wife's laptop and she lets me know when the IP address of the core changes.  If, you put in "dcerouter" instead of the xx.xx.xx.xx ip address it will automatically find whatever address is required and start the orbiter.

Not exactly helping the beta come out any faster, but post here FWIW.

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Win Orbiter IP Shortcut- "dcerouter" not ip address
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 06:27:45 am »
I am wondering why the ip address of the core is changing :)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:21:38 am »
you've exposed yourself! why is your wife's laptop on the external network instead of internal?? put it on the internal network (where it really ought to be) and this becomes a none issue as the IP address never changes, also you don't have to poke holes in the core's firewall to connect!

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 04:56:48 pm »
If you want to be really tricky, you could just set the external network address of the core to a static IP...

Even trickier - set up advanced routing rules on your external network to access the internal network using the core as a gateway to the 192.168.80.x address space.

But then again, you could just do it the correct and simple way, and use the internal network for all devices that are talking to the core - since that's how it's supposed to work, and that's how the configuration is set up for you automatically.

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 07:13:21 pm »
This all fine and good if everything is working- when I update to the latest alpha or have to rebuild the core I don't want to have to explain why she can't access her email until all of the packages download or I rewire the system to give lmce and her machine access.

That aside I didn't realize I would have to try and defend my post!   Especially when it was meant to provide somene else with a similar setup a faster/better way to connect.  Until I can trust that she will have Internet access regardless if I am around or not to the same level that I trust my router to be up, I will continue to run two separate networks.  No it's not supported but I'm also not asking for help!

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 07:33:35 pm »
From your external network, I'm not sure that putting "DCEROUTER" in will always work.

I'm assuming here that your external DCHP server is providing dynamic updates to your DNS server, which is why it is able to resolve the address. Not all configurations will provide this, so take care!
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 11:22:56 pm »
as per another thread, windows machines will resolve the name using netbios, which means it should work on any interface.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 11:41:02 pm »
My apologies, I mis-read. I assumed we were talking web access here, which naturally doesn't use NetBIOS names etc.
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65